Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 140

Thread: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Obama is a liar.
    What is your definition of being a "liar"? How does it apply to this instance to say that he "lied"? Do you believe Bush is a liar or lied? I'm just wanting to understand this to see where you're coming from as far as a definition for it goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    THANK YOU! I was appalled at the number of people who couldn't distinguish the two.

    If people don't want to pay the tax on cigarettes, they can jolly well STOP SMOKING!
    Aps, no offense, but I've never seen a thread concerning smoking that you exhibited anything close to rational behavior. I think if it was a tax of 100% of their income if they smoke we'd see you in here waving a banner going "**** yeah! Tax the hell out of them! They can just STOP if they don't want all their income taken away".

    They DO pay taxes on cigarettes. The question is how much of a tax on something moves from a legitimate government interest to flat out over stepping their bounds.

    Additionally, any new or updated programs that we created based on the supposed money taken in from a cigerette tax is flawed and should not happen. By tieing it to a program, politicians are doing one of two things.

    Taking advantage of the fact that cigerette's are addictive, exploiting those that are addicted to it to bilk them for as much moeny as possible. Now, last I checked, politicians are supposed to be fighting for the rights and well being of smokers as well.

    OR

    The tax ends up causing many people to stop smoking, thus decreasing the revenue stream, thus showing their original premise that the tax would pay for a program to be false, and thus shifting the burden of said program on all the rest of us tax payers.

    Utlimately though, I agree with CC. It was obvious through his statement he was speaking of taxes specific upon a tax bracket. While it may affect the poor MORE, cigerette taxes are NOT taxes based specifically on the amount of money one makes.

  2. #62
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Aps, no offense, but I've never seen a thread concerning smoking that you exhibited anything close to rational behavior. I think if it was a tax of 100% of their income if they smoke we'd see you in here waving a banner going "**** yeah! Tax the hell out of them! They can just STOP if they don't want all their income taken away".

    They DO pay taxes on cigarettes. The question is how much of a tax on something moves from a legitimate government interest to flat out over stepping their bounds.

    Additionally, any new or updated programs that we created based on the supposed money taken in from a cigerette tax is flawed and should not happen. By tieing it to a program, politicians are doing one of two things.

    Taking advantage of the fact that cigerette's are addictive, exploiting those that are addicted to it to bilk them for as much moeny as possible. Now, last I checked, politicians are supposed to be fighting for the rights and well being of smokers as well.

    OR

    The tax ends up causing many people to stop smoking, thus decreasing the revenue stream, thus showing their original premise that the tax would pay for a program to be false, and thus shifting the burden of said program on all the rest of us tax payers.

    Utlimately though, I agree with CC. It was obvious through his statement he was speaking of taxes specific upon a tax bracket. While it may affect the poor MORE, cigerette taxes are NOT taxes based specifically on the amount of money one makes.
    Hee hee hee No offense taken. If they increased tax on gasoline, I would support that because I support people driving less.

    The first part of my post was my true response to the allegations about Obama. The second part was just my pointing out that if people (particularly poor people) think the tax is too high, they can actually do something about it, which would include reducing their cigarette intake. I have no sympathy for people crying poor when they purchase things like cigarettes, which are not necessities.

  3. #63
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What is your definition of being a "liar"?
    How does it apply to this instance to say that he "lied"?
    Read My Lips: No New Taxes.
    -GHWB, 1988

    Obama said he would not raise any taxes -- and now, this.
    If he did not lie, then he clearly misled.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 04-02-09 at 12:16 PM.

  4. #64
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    I think the question really comes down to whether you want to interpret Obama's words from an originalist perspective, or whether you believe that we have living, breathing, campaign promises.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    But he didn't say "No new taxes" and left it at that

    "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

    I would put this much more in the "misspoke" category (and as a note, I've put George W. Bush statements in a similar category) than "lied" category. Also note I HAVE came out and actually acknowledge portions where I believe that Obama likely lied. This is not the case.

    His intent there is clear. No new taxes based on the amount one earns if they're under $250,000 a year. This fits that. The "not any of your taxes" is the mispeak there, as it was clear what his INTENT was, but the literal interpritation is that any tax hike at all...on food, on electricity, on gasoline, on cigerettes...could be considered as him "lieing".

    This is trying to crucify a man because you want to completely ignore context and hang him for the sake of it. Which, for many of you, simply isn't surprising.

  6. #66
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Are net taxes being raised?


    Yes it is mispeak, but its also true.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #67
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    But he didn't say "No new taxes" and left it at that

    "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

    I would put this much more in the "misspoke" category (and as a note, I've put George W. Bush statements in a similar category) than "lied" category. Also note I HAVE came out and actually acknowledge portions where I believe that Obama likely lied. This is not the case.

    His intent there is clear. No new taxes based on the amount one earns if they're under $250,000 a year. This fits that. The "not any of your taxes" is the mispeak there, as it was clear what his INTENT was, but the literal interpritation is that any tax hike at all...on food, on electricity, on gasoline, on cigerettes...could be considered as him "lieing".

    This is trying to crucify a man because you want to completely ignore context and hang him for the sake of it. Which, for many of you, simply isn't surprising.
    I think no matter how brilliantly you analyze the facts here, those who do not like/support Obama with a passion won't buy it. Nice job, by the way. You should be a lawyer.

  8. #68
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
    Yes. "any".
    If he did not mean 'any' He should not have said 'any'.

    I would put this much more in the "misspoke" category (and as a note, I've put George W. Bush statements in a similar category) than "lied" category.
    And to criticise 'misspeak' isnt valid?
    Especially goiven the bill of goods regarding Himself that He was selling?

    This is trying to crucify a man because you want to completely ignore context and hang him for the sake of it. Which, for many of you, simply isn't surprising.
    You yourself admit that "the literal interpritation is that any tax hike at all...on food, on electricity, on gasoline, on cigerettes...could be considered as him "lieing".". Not sure how you can say that and then make the claim, above.

    If he did not lie, then he clearly misled.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 04-02-09 at 12:46 PM.

  9. #69
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I think no matter how brilliantly you analyze the facts here, those who do not like/support Obama with a passion won't buy it.
    Conversely, people such as yourself, who see The Obama as The Secular Messiah, regardless of how brilliantly anyone analyzes the facts here, will never consider the possibility that He is going back on the promise that He so clearly made.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    My point is a misspeak, aka the words you say if taken literally can possibly mean different then the intent and context of them, constitute someone "lieing" automatically?

    He was talking about potential taxes to other things during the campaign that could, in theory, cause a "tax" on people under $250,000 a year...not DIRECTLY targetting them, but could effect them. So why would he say two extremely opposite things if that was ACTUALLY his intent? I'd guess, he wasn't.

    His intent was pretty clear. Now, that being said, I think eventually he will end up breaking that campaign promise. However, I imagine that will be closer to Bush I's "no new taxes" or GWB's "No Nation Building" promise...it will come about due to the situations in office that cause him to feel that it is in the best interest of the nation despite it going against what he previously said.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •