Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 140

Thread: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    Never assume anything Obama says is what he means.
    Again, care to address anything I have said or just make one liners?

  2. #32
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    The cigarette tax is not exclusive to just people in a certain tax bracket, it is a blanket tax on all cigarettes. It affects all smokers, whether 100k a year or 1mil a year. Now, if he had raised tobacco tax only on smokers making 100k or less a year, then the argument could be made that he broke his promise.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Get used to that.
    Next 4 years we'll be seeing alot of "well technically..."

  4. #34
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Said this in another thread and saying it here too:

    Smokers need to ban together and file a lawsuit against the tax increase since the Constitution stipulates congress cannot single out specific individuals for a tax hike smokers can say we are being singled out.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Said this in another thread and saying it here too:

    Smokers need to ban together and file a lawsuit against the tax increase since the Constitution stipulates congress cannot single out specific individuals for a tax hike smokers can say we are being singled out.


    Sounds great, Constitutional scholar Kali. Oh, while we're on the subject, can you show me where the Constitution validates reparations for slavery, i.e. punishing people for something they had absolutely nothing to do with.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post


    Sounds great, Constitutional scholar Kali. Oh, while we're on the subject, can you show me where the Constitution validates reparations for slavery, i.e. punishing people for something they had absolutely nothing to do with.
    Care to bring up a case with lawyers against it? didn't think so.

    Carry on with rhetoric.

  7. #37
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Said this in another thread and saying it here too:

    Smokers need to ban together and file a lawsuit against the tax increase since the Constitution stipulates congress cannot single out specific individuals for a tax hike smokers can say we are being singled out.
    It was completely wrong in that thread and it's completely wrong here.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #38
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post


    Sounds great, Constitutional scholar Kali. Oh, while we're on the subject, can you show me where the Constitution validates reparations for slavery, i.e. punishing people for something they had absolutely nothing to do with.
    I think she's referring to the little known "OMG Why R White People So Racism!?!" Clause introduced by Madison.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #39
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Taxing Whiskey is arguably the first tax that the federal government ever levied. You would have a hard time arguing against the constitutionality of it.


    However, in general I would say that excessive taxing on anything is bad for the country, tobacco included. I disagree with Obama's stance on this issue, although trying to make it look like he lied is just a lame smear tactic. It simply make other people who disagree with him look bad by association.

  10. #40
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Care to bring up a case with lawyers against it? didn't think so.

    Carry on with rhetoric.
    In re African-American Slave Descendants Litigation, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 872 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 26, 2004)
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •