Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 140

Thread: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

  1. #111
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Nope. "Any" is an all-encomapssing term.
    Just like "all" and "never".
    It is all encompassing of the the item it it referring to. In this case INCOME taxes.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #112
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I can ALMOST see it... However. when he stated "not one dime" that to me was "all encompassing" no?
    The context is still towards Income taxes.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  3. #113
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    The context is still towards Income taxes.




    Nah. if I heard anyone say that, I would think he was trying to suggest that we wont be paying more period....

    He may have meant that, and at the same time led us to believe what I am suggesting, no?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #114
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Nah. if I heard anyone say that, I would think he was trying to suggest that we wont be paying more period....

    He may have meant that, and at the same time led us to believe what I am suggesting, no?
    He may have if we assume he went from context to generalizations with the last few words of his statement. Personally, I like to take all words of a statement in context and don't force my own interpretation out of context to meet an agenda.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  5. #115
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    He may have if we assume he went from context to generalizations with the last few words of his statement. Personally, I like to take all words of a statement in context and don't interpret my own to meet an agenda.



    Seems like you are trying to meet an agenda....




    saying "not one dime" means to me, not one dime is coming out of my pocket.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #116
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Seems like you are trying to meet an agenda....

    saying "not one dime" means to me, not one dime is coming out of my pocket.
    In terms of the topic, which was income taxes.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #117
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    It is all encompassing of the the item it it referring to. In this case INCOME taxes.
    Nice try.

    The language used was:

    "...not any of your taxes", and then, ""you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

    If I pay tax on tobacco, I will see my taxes raised more than a single dime.
    No way around it.

    Any" is an all-encomapssing term.
    Just like "all" and "never".

  8. #118
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Nice try.

    The language used was:

    "...not any of your taxes", and then, ""you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

    If I pay tax on tobacco, I will see my taxes raised more than a single dime.
    No way around it.

    Any" is an all-encomapssing term.
    Just like "all" and "never".
    This is what I am talking about with context. You purposefully leave out the beginning of his statement. Why? Because it disproves your conclusion and puts the statement in context.

    Here I'll use your logic below...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    ...I will see my taxes raised more than a single dime.
    OMG you are going to see taxes raised more than a single dime on everything.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  9. #119
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    In terms of the topic, which was income taxes.


    So if I get the money a different way, its not dishonest?


    See this is where we differ. By saying "not one dime" that means I keep my money, because he gets it another way, demonstrates to me, dishonesty....



    If I say, I won't punch you, would you be concerned that I may shoot you in the next few minutes?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #120
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    This is what I am talking about with context. You purposefully leave out the beginning of his statement. Why? Because it disproves your conclusion and puts the statement in context.
    What you fail to understand:
    The term ANY doesn't allow for context.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •