Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

  1. #21
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That sounds fair.

    I'm pretty annoyed with any cap and trade plan since "Climate Change" is less science and more politics.
    If climate change is true or not, we have the ability to lower emissions so why not? Less toxins in the air is healthier for all.

    I would much rather we lower emissions now and find out that climate is not really affected by emissions and is just naturally changing then to not lower emissions and find out not doing so has put our climate into irreversible destruction.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-31-09 at 06:21 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #22
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    If climate change is true or not, we have the ability to lower emissions so why not? Less toxins in the air is healthier for all.

    I would much rather we lower emissions now and find out that climate is not really affected by emissions and is just naturally changing then to not lower emissions and find out not doing so has put our climate into irreversible destruction.
    Are emissions really that toxic to individuals, considering that most of us never really get exposed to enough concentrated amounts to hurt us. I think it is mostly bunk. Now you do have your extreme cases like Beijing for example.

    I seriously doubt there is anything we can do that will put us on any irreversible path.

    Its akin to people saying that a boogy man and space aliens exist and have visited them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #23
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Are emissions really that toxic to individuals, considering that most of us never really get exposed to enough concentrated amounts to hurt us. I think it is mostly bunk. Now you do have your extreme cases like Beijing for example.
    With population expansion more cities have the potential of being Beijing like. This should be prevented if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I seriously doubt there is anything we can do that will put us on any irreversible path.

    Its akin to people saying that a boogy man and space aliens exist and have visited them.
    I wouldn't say it's boogeyman/aliens related. THer eis no evidence that these things exists. Omissions exist and commissions effect on the environment can be tested. The extent of the effect, specifically the level of negative impact, is what can't be determined.

    I think it can be assumed with relative confidence that Earth's climate is not indestructible. What is yet to be proven is that our omission levels are anywhere near or ever will be near the ability to destroy it or even significantly change it. But, though they may not be at climate distortion levels, they can get to uninhabitable levels for living beings. Beijing is getting there.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #24
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    With population expansion more cities have the potential of being Beijing like. This should be prevented if possible.
    I think as more and more countries modernize their economies that their may be an increase in air pollution but at the same time as they do expand, they also start the population contraction soon afterward.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I wouldn't say it's boogeyman/aliens related. THer eis no evidence that these things exists. Omissions exist and commissions effect on the environment can be tested. The extent of the effect, specifically the level of negative impact, is what can't be determined.

    I think it can be assumed with relative confidence that Earth's climate is not indestructible. What is yet to be proven is that our omission levels are anywhere near or ever will be near the ability to destroy it or even significantly change it. But, though they may not be at climate distortion levels, they can get to uninhabitable levels for living beings. Beijing is getting there.
    I don't think its not indestructible but that its not likely that we are facing a cataclysmic crisis, the most pressing issue in my mind is land and water pollution.

    That you can definitely see everyday and if nothing else its ugly.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #25
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't think its not indestructible but that its not likely that we are facing a cataclysmic crisis, the most pressing issue in my mind is land and water pollution.

    That you can definitely see everyday and if nothing else its ugly.
    I definitely agree water and land pollution are more troubling than air pollution. Water being the most urgent one.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Tofu is for the substitution of MEAT not BREAD. Your ignorance on the topic is showing.
    There are several things that are obvious.

    You haven't read Atlas Shrugged.

    People like you really need to study that book.

    Wheat is an evil plant that symbolizes the evil of white colonial imperialism and it must be eradicated. Tofu is the food of the peasant, the worker, the proletariat, and the humble soybean will be made to replace the evil wheat until only the evil capitalist overlords will have bread to eat. It doens't matter if tofu-crap is a protein substitute, marxists and socialists never make a damn lick of sense anyway.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    If climate change is true or not, we have the ability to lower emissions so why not? Less toxins in the air is healthier for all.
    CO2 isn't a toxin.

    If it not beneficial to lower CO2 emissions, it's pretty damn stupid to waste money chasing it, isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I would much rather we lower emissions now and find out that climate is not really affected by emissions and is just naturally changing then to not lower emissions and find out not doing so has put our climate into irreversible destruction.
    We already know climate isn't affected by human CO2 emissions. The world is in a global cooling trend, that's why the frantic leftists have started using "global climate change".

  8. #28
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    There are several things that are obvious.

    You haven't read Atlas Shrugged.

    People like you really need to study that book.

    Wheat is an evil plant that symbolizes the evil of white colonial imperialism and it must be eradicated. Tofu is the food of the peasant, the worker, the proletariat, and the humble soybean will be made to replace the evil wheat until only the evil capitalist overlords will have bread to eat. It doens't matter if tofu-crap is a protein substitute, marxists and socialists never make a damn lick of sense anyway.
    Tofu tastes pretty good if it's seasoned properly. Am I a communist now? =\

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Even if I was for this kind of thing, which I'm not, this is a horrendous time to be talking about this. The economy, especially in the manufacturing sector, is tanking so in the process of that you're going to institute massive government guidelines forcing them to potentially significantly change their structure in a potentially costly way? Regardless of whether you agree with this kind of thing or not, now is not the time to be pushing it.
    They don't give a **** about this country, they only care about their agenda and their power.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrats Unveil Carbon Cap Plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    There are several things that are obvious.

    You haven't read Atlas Shrugged.

    People like you really need to study that book.

    Wheat is an evil plant that symbolizes the evil of white colonial imperialism and it must be eradicated. Tofu is the food of the peasant, the worker, the proletariat, and the humble soybean will be made to replace the evil wheat until only the evil capitalist overlords will have bread to eat. It doens't matter if tofu-crap is a protein substitute, marxists and socialists never make a damn lick of sense anyway.
    That's great for the author. I'm sure you can find some crackpot that uses Gatorade as a substitute for banana's. It doesn't change the fact that Tofu is most commonly used as a substitute for meat and not bread.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-31-09 at 10:20 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •