Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72

Thread: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I agree 100% MrVicchio. Just off the top of my head, I can clearly recall you, the Rev, and some others getting mighty riled up over Bush's corporate welfare. I credit you guys with being consistent on that.

    What I don't understand is me being called an anti-bushbot by someone about this issue.

    In essence, my stance is that I'd rather see the warranties get backed and allow GM to go under. If GM dies, but the warranties are not backed, people who purchased GM a year or two ago will be hit with serious problems because they have no more warranty.
    Firstly, you're misrepresenting the situation.

    The Messiah is offering to use my money to guarantee GM's warranties to justify his propping the company up. Outside of the fact that I'm not responsible for the bad choices others make, the Constitution doesn't allow him to do this.

    Then there's the fact that I'm not responsible for paying out on GM's warranties. Did you miss that part? If someone bought a GM vehicle, without asking my permission, and GM sinks without a trace, like the Titanic, I don't owe that boy anything. He made the bad choice, it's up to him to suffer the consequences.

    That's it. It IS NOT the taxpayers' job to stop every little boy from getting boo-boos when they play on the swings. The government isn't the little boy's mommy, and if the little boy loses some money now and then, too bad. I can't even say I feel sorry for him, cuz I don't. It's bad goverment, not to mention illegal government, to intervene in that matter, and it's immoral as hell, too.

    Guess what? There's millions and millions of Americans who voted to deny GM their money. How was that vote made? They didn't buy the over priced crap GM was selling. It's totally wrong to make those people financially responsible for the well being of GM now.

    If you say otherwise, you're supporting corporate welfare. That's it. That's all there is to it.

    You support it, so don't be shy, you're supporting corporate welfare, be proud and put it on your left bumper.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Sure they shouldn't have bought GM, but some people are patriotic enough that they only buy American because they believe it is better for the country than buying Japanese. Hell, I used to think that way, and still won't buy any car made in another country.
    What? If they're so stupid they think GM is the only American car company, they deserve to lose their warranties, don't they?

    Toyota cars are "made in America".

    So are some BMW's, aren't they?

    And Ford...that's "American", ain't it?

    The only real reasons they should use in buying cars is the best value for the price their paying and suitability to the task they're putting the vehicle to.

    If they choose some other reason, there's no reason they shouldn't bear the costs of being stupid and therefore carrying their own warranty expenses if GM goes belly up, like it should be allowed to.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I don't want to see American patriots who used their personal finances to help out an American company screwed by that companies incompetence.
    The real patriot doesn't swallow marketing guff about "buying American", not when GM was outsourcing parts to foreign lands just like all the rest of the so-called American manufacturers.

  2. #52
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Then again...I"m an American. I can say this, you can't, because I voted for neither Bush nor Obama. Only Americans can say that.

    The pinnacle of anti-Americanism is to claim fellow Citizens aren't Americans simply out of disagreement.


    I'm one of the opponents of that scam, also.

    I don't support much that liberal presidents do.

    Good to see some consistency.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Then again...I"m an American. I can say this, you can't, because I voted for neither Bush nor Obama. Only Americans can say that.
    I didn't know you can only be labeled an American if you DON'T vote for specific candidates. This might have to be my new signature.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    The pinnacle of anti-Americanism is to claim fellow Citizens aren't Americans simply out of disagreement.
    Find that in a book somewhere?

    If someone chooses to perform acts not only clearly detrimental to the United States but clearly in violation of the Constitution, that person isn't an American.

    Obama voters aren't Americans.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Find that in a book somewhere?

    If someone chooses to perform acts not only clearly detrimental to the United States but clearly in violation of the Constitution, that person isn't an American.

    Obama voters aren't Americans.
    You can click below to discuss your reasons for thinking this.

    Conspiracy Theories - Debate Politics Forums
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #56
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Firstly, you're misrepresenting the situation.

    The Messiah is offering to use my money to guarantee GM's warranties to justify his propping the company up. Outside of the fact that I'm not responsible for the bad choices others make, the Constitution doesn't allow him to do this.

    Then there's the fact that I'm not responsible for paying out on GM's warranties. Did you miss that part? If someone bought a GM vehicle, without asking my permission, and GM sinks without a trace, like the Titanic, I don't owe that boy anything. He made the bad choice, it's up to him to suffer the consequences.

    That's it. It IS NOT the taxpayers' job to stop every little boy from getting boo-boos when they play on the swings. The government isn't the little boy's mommy, and if the little boy loses some money now and then, too bad. I can't even say I feel sorry for him, cuz I don't. It's bad goverment, not to mention illegal government, to intervene in that matter, and it's immoral as hell, too.

    Guess what? There's millions and millions of Americans who voted to deny GM their money. How was that vote made? They didn't buy the over priced crap GM was selling. It's totally wrong to make those people financially responsible for the well being of GM now.

    If you say otherwise, you're supporting corporate welfare. That's it. That's all there is to it.

    You support it, so don't be shy, you're supporting corporate welfare, be proud and put it on your left bumper.
    First: I don't think it will help their sales.

    Second, the government backing of the warranties only comes into play if GM or Chrysler are unable to back the warranties themselves, so it is a free option if the companies don't fail, and it does nothing to support the companies if they DO fail.

    So HOW exactly am I misrepresenting things?


    Speaking of "misrepresenting the situation", YOUR tax-money is worthless with regards to this whole mess.

    Even if you are a millionaire, your tax dollars are less than a fart in the wind when taken as a whole.

    So stop playing the "My tax money is being abused" line of BS.

    If you lost all ability to pay a single dime in taxes, the country wouldn't even notice, nor would they care.

    Unless you are Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, your individual tax money is effectively worthless in the grand scheme of things. A drop in the ocean. It is the hundreds of millions of drops together that fill that ocean, but a single drop disappearing is of no value and is totally and completely irtrelevant when discussing these things.


    What? If they're so stupid they think GM is the only American car company, they deserve to lose their warranties, don't they?

    Toyota cars are "made in America".

    So are some BMW's, aren't they?

    And Ford...that's "American", ain't it?

    The only real reasons they should use in buying cars is the best value for the price their paying and suitability to the task they're putting the vehicle to.

    If they choose some other reason, there's no reason they shouldn't bear the costs of being stupid and therefore carrying their own warranty expenses if GM goes belly up, like it should be allowed to.

    The real patriot doesn't swallow marketing guff about "buying American", not when GM was outsourcing parts to foreign lands just like all the rest of the so-called American manufacturers.
    GM will be covering the warranties if they can. But if the can't, then the Government will step in to protect consumers, past and present.

    It's not a corporate bailout, no matter how often you try to pretend it is.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 03-31-09 at 05:05 PM.

  7. #57
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Find that in a book somewhere?

    If someone chooses to perform acts not only clearly detrimental to the United States but clearly in violation of the Constitution, that person isn't an American.

    Obama voters aren't Americans.
    I can't even think of a single person on the right (even aquapub) who would make a statement as absurd as that.

  8. #58
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Find that in a book somewhere?
    Nope, just thought of it when I read your post so I guess I owe a "thank you" for being the inspiration.


    If someone chooses to perform acts not only clearly detrimental to the United States but clearly in violation of the Constitution, that person isn't an American.

    Obama voters aren't Americans.

    Mussolini said "The foundation of Fascism is the conception of the State.". You guys could be philosophical twins.

  9. #59
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    After learning more about the plan, I must retract all of the support I had given it in this thread. It seems that the plan does not cover warranties on previously purchased vehicles, only ones being purchased from this point onward.

    My apologies Scarecrow. I was indeed ill-informed on the matter.

  10. #60
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: GM, Chrysler Get Ultimatum From Obama on Turnaround

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    After learning more about the plan, I must retract all of the support I had given it in this thread. It seems that the plan does not cover warranties on previously purchased vehicles, only ones being purchased from this point onward.

    My apologies Scarecrow. I was indeed ill-informed on the matter.

    Why was support contingent on the warranty time frame?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •