Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

  1. #1
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    link

    NEW YORK (Reuters) A top Spanish court has moved toward starting a probe of six former Bush administration officials including ex-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales in connection with alleged torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, The New York Times said on Saturday.
    Spain can claim jurisdiction in the case because five Spanish citizens or residents who were prisoners at Guantanamo Bay say they were tortured there.
    Spain has no jurisdiction here. It was not on their soil and Spain's rights are not being violated here. This is a matter for international courts, not a foreign municipal one. Nice try though, Spain.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link





    Spain has no jurisdiction here. It was not on their soil and Spain's rights are not being violated here. This is a matter for international courts, not a foreign municipal one. Nice try though, Spain.
    Just like Saddam was tried on the authority of the CPA and not the International Tribunal of Justice in The Hague.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link





    Spain has no jurisdiction here. It was not on their soil and Spain's rights are not being violated here. This is a matter for international courts, not a foreign municipal one. Nice try though, Spain.
    Hmmm, this may turn out quite interesting...

    I have a feeling that more countries may follow suit.

    This could begin to snowball for a bad deal for america
    Last edited by creativedreams; 03-28-09 at 07:29 PM.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Hmmm, this may turn out quite interesting...

    I have a feeling that more countries may follow suit.

    This could begin to snowball for a bad deal for america
    And you'd cheer it all the way.

    However, it's all political grandstanding and has no merit at all. Unless any of those 6 are stupid enough to go to Spain and submit to these kangaroo trials... what's gonna happen? Nothing.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    And you'd cheer it all the way.

    However, it's all political grandstanding and has no merit at all. Unless any of those 6 are stupid enough to go to Spain and submit to these kangaroo trials... what's gonna happen? Nothing.
    Or Spain imitates America and goes in and gets those 6 themselves. You act as if there's no chance of extradition.

  6. #6
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    05-25-09 @ 11:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    277

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link





    Spain has no jurisdiction here. It was not on their soil and Spain's rights are not being violated here. This is a matter for international courts, not a foreign municipal one. Nice try though, Spain.
    Wrong! The one area in which the international community accepts a broad interpretation of universal jurisdiction is for torture. For example, a Spanish court demanded the extradition of August Pinochet on the grounds that some of the people he tortured were Spanish, and sure enough, he was arrested in Britain.

    And what we did in the US was absolutely torture. A recent Red Cross review of our abuses showed that our interrogators went even further than the stuff we executed Gestapo interrogators for after WWII.

    America was run for eight years by a criminal enterprise, the Bush crime family. Now we need to see to it that it never happens again.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Or Spain imitates America and goes in and gets those 6 themselves. You act as if there's no chance of extradition.
    HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAH


    Yeah, Spain's gonna make that happen... well, with Obama in office perhaps maybe he would try to have these people extradited, but even then, I seriously doubt it.

    I suppose they could KIDNAP American citizens, and haul them away to Spain for trial, but that would really be grounds for all sorts of retaliation.. wars have started over far less.


    What grounds do they have for these show trials?

    Bleeding heart liberalism? Spain can piss off. If they wanna waste time and money making fools of themselves, I say let em.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    HAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAH


    Yeah, Spain's gonna make that happen... well, with Obama in office perhaps maybe he would try to have these people extradited, but even then, I seriously doubt it.

    I suppose they could KIDNAP American citizens, and haul them away to Spain for trial, but that would really be grounds for all sorts of retaliation.. wars have started over far less.


    What grounds do they have for these show trials?

    Bleeding heart liberalism? Spain can piss off. If they wanna waste time and money making fools of themselves, I say let em.

    If Spain does open probes, we can always open probes for their crimes against the indigenous people of Mexico back in the 1600's.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If Spain does open probes, we can always open probes for their crimes against the indigenous people of Mexico back in the 1600's.
    I'd be more excited if Spain went after real criminals like say... China, Cuba and NK... held trials on the abuses and tortures there. But no, they want to get people like HDL all excited for them. Ever since Spain capitulated to the Terrorist they've been tools.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link

    Spain has no jurisdiction here. It was not on their soil and Spain's rights are not being violated here. This is a matter for international courts, not a foreign municipal one. Nice try though, Spain.
    Why doesn't Spain have any jurisdiction on whether or not Spaniard citizens have been tortured? If this was U.S. citizens being tortured by Arabs we'd see outcries for American intervention on the matter and middle fingers right and left to the U.N. for it's inaction regarding such matters.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •