Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 102

Thread: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

  1. #61
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Quote Originally Posted by HOLD FAST View Post
    Other countries have said they would take them and then changed their minds. If these people are so innocent then why can't we convince other governments to take them?
    It is not their responsibility. We detained them. Now we have decided that they are not a threat.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #62
    Educator bilbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    10-22-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    629

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Just wait until they start killing Americans .. boy will that be fun!

    Perhaps they will get their own TV show like Pimp My Car Bomb or Curb Your Fanaticism.

    Boy assimilation is so much fun!
    George W. Bush is a liberal.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Quote Originally Posted by bilbus View Post
    Just wait until they start killing Americans .. boy will that be fun!

    Perhaps they will get their own TV show like Pimp My Car Bomb or Curb Your Fanaticism.

    Boy assimilation is so much fun!
    Why would non-terrorists kill Americans?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #64
    Educator bilbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    10-22-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    629

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Ya, i am sure they are just great guys in the wrong place.

    Non Iraqis and Afghans in those countries .. i hear tourism is a booming industry there.
    George W. Bush is a liberal.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Quote Originally Posted by thetatteredflag View Post
    I am in no ways an advocate of holding innocent men, but it also seems that if we do not have sufficient means to rightfully determine who is in reality innocent and who is affiliated with terrorist organizations we must err on the side of caution that benefits the safety of U.S. citizens, not potential terrorists.
    Good point, some of those released have gone straight to the battlefield - however we don't know if they went because they concealed their true disposition despite 6-7 years of torture or because of 6-7 years of torture. The US did things to people in Gtmo that could change anyone. I don't know how I'd feel after going through waterboarding when I might be innocent.

    Quote Originally Posted by thetatteredflag View Post
    When these detainees are released, in no way should it be on U.S. soil, since all indications point to the assumption that at least some "innocents" will be those who have managed to artfully keep their real identities and affiliations hidden from investigators. In my opinion, even one would be too many.
    There I disagree with you, 1 - because the US captured them and brought them to US soil and labelled them terrorists. They are your problem to rehabilitate. Any real innocents among them have now lost all hope of rebuilding their lives. 2 - if there are any who were and are real terrorists, why release them in another country when you can keep an eye on them with your security forces in the US?

    Anyone who thinks these people won't be monitored is fooling themselves.

  6. #66
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,381
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I would gladly live next door to someone who was wrongfully accused of being a terrorist. I do not live my life in fear.
    We haven't been able to profile everyone correctly, hence terrorists have been released and returned to the battle field.

    If we get one instance wrong it could result in a blood bath.
    Obama created.
    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    I have to laugh at the irony of the situation.

    A lot of the inmates were detained without access to lawyers or trials, so the evidence against them was never determined or proven. It's called innocent until proven guilty. So, since they were never proven guilty, they are innocent.

    Now we are taking innocent people who no doubt have a grudge against the U.S., who were tortured for seven years in a facility without access to the outside world, and we're releasing them back into society because they are, in fact, innocent.

    I'm going to grab a popcorn and sit back and watch.

  8. #68
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,381
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    [QUOTE=Orius;1057975765]I have to laugh at the irony of the situation.
    A lot of the inmates were detained without access to lawyers or trials, so the evidence against them was never determined or proven. It's called innocent until proven guilty. So, since they were never proven guilty, they are innocent.
    Innocent until proven guilty is not a wartime policy.
    We do not give captives from a war lawyers. Our military and intel are responsible for coming to conclusions.
    In fact, if you are complaining about this, FDR should have given the Japanese Americans lawyers. Every last one.


    Now we are taking innocent people who no doubt have a grudge against the U.S.
    You don't know if they are innocent. You do not know what their thoughts on America are.
    who were tortured for seven years
    We don't torture.

    in a facility without access to the outside world
    That's what happens during war. They don't get access unless we decide otherwise.

    , and we're releasing them back into society because they are, in fact, innocent.
    We do not know this, but I believe we should have them set up their peaceful lives on your street.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty is not a wartime policy.
    We do not give captives from a war lawyers. Our military and intel are responsible for coming to conclusions.
    In fact, if you are complaining about this, FDR should have given the Japanese Americans lawyers. Every last one.
    The Gitmo detainees were never held under wartime conditions, they were never subject to Geneva Conventions about prisoners rights.


    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    -- We don't torture.
    Only certain parts of America say that, the rest of the world including the Red Cross say different.

  10. #70
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,381
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    The Gitmo detainees were never held under wartime conditions, they were never subject to Geneva Conventions about prisoners rights.
    I believe this to be true.
    But I laugh at the "torture" bit.
    Saddam tortured...and the ancient art of water boarding and sleep deprivation isn't torture.

    Guantanamo Bay detention camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Emerging as a leader, the detainee has been leading the detainees around him in prayer. The detainees listen to him speak and follow his actions during prayer."

    Red Cross inspectors and released detainees have alleged acts of torture,[40][41] including sleep deprivation, beatings and locking in confined and cold cells. Human rights groups argue that indefinite detention constitutes torture.
    Only certain parts of America say that, the rest of the world including the Red Cross say different.
    I'll file this under the liberal view. See above.
    Like the one where a Lib Prof. taught students that any sex... even consensual sex... was rape.


    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 03-31-09 at 02:39 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •