Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 603

Thread: Call for higher circumcision rate

  1. #541
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    06-26-11 @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    119

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Somali anti-FGC campaigner spreads her net

    Intact America Launches Campaign to Change the Way the Nation Thinks About Male Circumcision | Intact America


    A Somali campaigner against Female Genital Cutting (FGC) wants the US to abandon Male Genital Cutting as well.

    Filmmaker and activist Soraya Miré has joined with Intact America, a lobby group formed earlier this year, to launch a nationwide campaign to change the way America thinks about male circumcision. They argue the surgery is painful and medically unnecessary, removing healthy genital tissue from non-consenting baby boys, violating medical ethics and human rights.

    "The same universal human right to an intact body that I have fought for on behalf of women and girls must apply to boys as well," Miré said, "especially those who are too young to make an informed decision about the integrity of their bodies.

    "We need to ask ourselves: How can it be wrong to surgically alter the genitals of a baby girl without her consent but okay to surgically alter the genitals of a baby boy?"

    The campaign hopes to influence a review by the Centers for Disease Control of studies of adult African male circumcision in the context of the HIV epidemic in Africa, with the goal of developing a recommendation to be released here in the United States.

    "Studies of adult men in Africa cannot be used to justify subjecting non-consenting American baby boys to irreversible surgery that will remove healthy tissue from their genitals for the rest of their lives," Intact America's executive director Georganne Chapin says. "Let young men make decisions about their own bodies, when they reach an age to make that decision for themselves."

    Before parents allow that, she says, they should ask themselves if they would allow it to be done to their daughters.

  2. #542
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-bloke View Post
    Somali anti-FGC campaigner spreads her net

    Intact America Launches Campaign to Change the Way the Nation Thinks About Male Circumcision | Intact America


    A Somali campaigner against Female Genital Cutting (FGC) wants the US to abandon Male Genital Cutting as well.

    Filmmaker and activist Soraya Miré has joined with Intact America, a lobby group formed earlier this year, to launch a nationwide campaign to change the way America thinks about male circumcision. They argue the surgery is painful and medically unnecessary, removing healthy genital tissue from non-consenting baby boys, violating medical ethics and human rights.

    "The same universal human right to an intact body that I have fought for on behalf of women and girls must apply to boys as well," Miré said, "especially those who are too young to make an informed decision about the integrity of their bodies.

    "We need to ask ourselves: How can it be wrong to surgically alter the genitals of a baby girl without her consent but okay to surgically alter the genitals of a baby boy?"

    The campaign hopes to influence a review by the Centers for Disease Control of studies of adult African male circumcision in the context of the HIV epidemic in Africa, with the goal of developing a recommendation to be released here in the United States.

    "Studies of adult men in Africa cannot be used to justify subjecting non-consenting American baby boys to irreversible surgery that will remove healthy tissue from their genitals for the rest of their lives," Intact America's executive director Georganne Chapin says. "Let young men make decisions about their own bodies, when they reach an age to make that decision for themselves."

    Before parents allow that, she says, they should ask themselves if they would allow it to be done to their daughters.
    I am neither moved nor even interested an agenda driven special interest group that bases its intentions on subjective pleas to emotion.

  3. #543
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    06-26-11 @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    119

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    translation i am not interested in those who are defending the rights of males to have an intact body

  4. #544
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-bloke View Post
    translation i am not interested in those who are defending the rights of males to have an intact body
    I am interested in science, studies, and statistics. So yeah, I'm not really interested in pleas to emotion at all.

    I'm circumcised and my body is intact, also, thank you very little.

  5. #545
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    So if someone held you down and without anesthesia, removed a strip of skin from your arm, just skin, no tendon or muscle, you wouldn't have any legal remedy against that person? Hey they only removed a little skin, what's you're beef?
    I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that doctors often DO use local anesthesia and adjunct methods (EMLA cream and oral sucrose) as well when performing routine circumcisions. I have witnessed this as a nursing student and such was the case for my own son. No male infant should ever be circumcised without effective anesthesia imo. Parents who plan to have their sons circumcised at birth should make absolutely sure that the doctor uses anesthetic.

  6. #546
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that doctors often DO use local anesthesia and adjunct methods (EMLA cream and oral sucrose) as well when performing routine circumcisions. I have witnessed this as a nursing student and such was the case for my own son. No male infant should ever be circumcised without effective anesthesia imo. Parents who plan to have their sons circumcised at birth should make absolutely sure that the doctor uses anesthetic.
    And they do. That's not even an issue here.

  7. #547
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    It has been refuted in that no other part of your body is surgically removed for the purpose of health, hygiene or preemptive care. It's refuted by the fact that this method of hygiene is more invasive than proper cleaning and a lower rate of STDs is had with condom use.
    Its not a "part of your body" its ****ing skin.

    Stop being melodramatic.

    If thats the case Im amputating my hair because it is a perfectly healthy "part of the body".
    Last edited by Caine; 06-24-09 at 11:16 PM.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #548
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Are you outraged at vaginal mutilation? The outrage comes from people doing things to infant male that is unnecessary. Being a male, I empathize. It's an outrageous procedure that deserves outrage. Add to it that it is yet another outrageous religious practice pushed and disguised by the medical community as something normal and healthy... you get outrage. Doctors are not supposed to purposefully and unnecessarily harm you. You don't see where the outrage comes from?

    A. I am not outraged at vaginal mutilation, probably because that isn't the proper terminology and your trying to use emotion to get people to be empathetic.

    B. I have a son, and I don't recall any doctor ever trying to push us to decide to have a circumcision, in fact my son couldn't be circumcised until he was 3 months old because he was low birth weight. We still decided to get it done.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #549
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Moderator's Warning:
    Call for higher circumcision rateEveryone needs to cease the personal attacks in this thread. Next one gets an infraction and a thread ban. No exceptions.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #550
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Call for higher circumcision rate

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Not in any sexually impairing way. FAIL.
    This is your opinion. You are unable to speak for all men. FAIL

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •