Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 106

Thread: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

  1. #71
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,415

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    But that's like saying you could just not get sick.



    How so?


    I can keep myself healthy, I can do everything I can to not get sick, and still get sick.


    I can choose not to drive, and therefore not be required to carry insurance.




    My point is, health insurance is not a right. And to force me to pay for health insurance seems the antithesis to a "right" if there ever was one.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No its not. No one HAS to drive.
    Nobody is telling anybody they have to have auto insurance if they don't drive.

    But there is nobody who doesn't have a chance of getting sick. There are no non-drivers. We all can get sick or injured, We shouldn't leave it up to others to pay the doctor. Everybody should pay for insurance or they should pay what they can based on their income.

  3. #73
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Nobody is telling anybody they have to have auto insurance if they don't drive.
    You;re right. And of they were, then your argument would have some bearing.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    So you're paying for insurance every month but you don't mind that tens of millions are paying nothing? And getting health care? If the working poor can't pay for an insurance policy maybe they could pay half or a quarter. Any money they pay would help reduce the premiums of the insured.

    Nobody should have the choice to be a freeloader.
    The freeloaders already exist. See Medicaid and Medicare.

    Everyone who has insurance is covering there butts, it is not right.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #75
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You accrued a financial obligation from someone who performed a service for you. You did not immediately pay it off, and instead paid it off gradually, month by month.

    How is that not a loan?



    In other words, you depended on the fact that their sympathy for your situation would overcome their business senses. And how exactly does always relying on the kindness of strangers epitomize personal responsibility?

    Your anecdote has no relevance to this discussion (at least not for the point you're trying to make), because you did NOT do the responsible thing. You relied on the hospital to help you in spite of their business interests; after all, they would have little reason to believe that letting you pay month-by-month would be a good investment. Your example does not help your argument; on the contrary, it makes it laughable when you call for personal responsibility and the freedom to not have to pay for others' medical expenses.



    I'd rather just have the money now. I think most wise businessmen would.
    Are you ****ing kidding me? Your warped definition of irresponsible equals carrying a line of credit and paying it off? That is what you consider irresponsible? Paying off a debt?

    All I have to say is:


    I mean, really. I've read some silly **** on here and this is next in the stupid line right after 1069s claim that one is "responsible and independent" if they live off the government.

  6. #76
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Are you ****ing kidding me? Your warped definition of irresponsible equals carrying a line of credit and paying it off? That is what you consider irresponsible? Paying off a debt?

    All I have to say is:


    I mean, really. I've read some silly **** on here and this is next in the stupid line right after 1069s claim that one is "responsible and independent" if they live off the government.
    10 may be gone, but her stank still lingers

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  7. #77
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Just another example of a "pro-choice" liberal that wants to take away choices that he doesn't think people should have.
    What in God's name are you babbling about now. "Pro-choice" in the context of abortion doesn't mean that you support every choice that anyone could possibly make on every issue.

    Stop trying to derail the thread.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #78
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What in God's name are you babbling about now. "Pro-choice" in the context of abortion doesn't mean that you support every choice that anyone could possibly make on every issue.
    So you -admit- you do not support peoples' right to choose.
    Good for you!

  9. #79
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Are you ****ing kidding me? Your warped definition of irresponsible equals carrying a line of credit and paying it off? That is what you consider irresponsible? Paying off a debt?
    Nope, paying off your debt is responsible. What was NOT responsible is getting yourself into that situation, and putting the hospital into a situation where they had to choose between not getting paid in a timely manner or not helping you at all.

    Your attempts to equate this to a regular line of credit are NOT valid. This is not an auto loan, where you had collateral and where the car dealer knew you weren't going to die or be sick without the car.

    For one thing, the hospital helped you against their own business interests merely because they were sympathetic to your situation. Put yourself in their position and look at it from a purely business perspective: If someone earning $12K per year wanted you to give them an expensive medical treatment and promised to gradually pay it off over time, what would YOUR answer be? From a business perspective only.

    For another thing, you had no collateral. If you default on an auto loan, they repossess your car. If you default on a mortgage, they foreclose on your house. If you default on a medical loan, they cannot repossess your body.

    Finally, a hospital is not a bank. The fact that you didn't carry insurance and just relied on the hospital to temporarily forgo their payment for services rendered, is the height of irresponsibility.

    The only reason your situation worked out was because A) the hospital felt sorry for you, and B) you took advantage of their sympathy. If you're going to argue that the system is fine, that people just need to be responsible, and that people don't need health insurance, you'd do well not to mention your personal situation, since you exemplify exactly the opposite.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I mean, really. I've read some silly **** on here and this is next in the stupid line right after 1069s claim that one is "responsible and independent" if they live off the government.
    You're basically arguing that you were responsible and independent because you lived off the hospital for a while. That's hardly much better.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-25-09 at 04:49 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #80
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    05-25-09 @ 11:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    277

    Re: Health insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

    Did anyone see what ELSE the insurers wanted?

    They DO want Congress to force everyone to buy insurance.
    And they DON'T want Obama to set up a government option.

    In other words, the insurers would end up with even more money, with no oversight, and no competition. And America would go bankrupt.

    The only way to break up the illegal insurance oligopoly and recoup the $600 billion we give them needlessly each year, is to ensure that there is a viable government option. We need that money now.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •