Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

  1. #11
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Gee... If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a rather sad attempt to equate the state of human rights in the US to that in China, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran -- because, after all, if we have the death penalty, and they have the death penalty, we must be as bad as they are.

    In a similar vein - the US's abortion policies are the most liberal in the world. Our company? NK, China, Zimbabwe, Cuba, and some other country.

    OH NOES
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Oh, that's a shame.

    There's 700 things on California's Death Row, we could have broken the 3000 mark last year if we'd applied ourselves.

  3. #13
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Almost 38 people executed in the US in 2008!

    Seriously, they could easily have said

    With China, THREE other nations -- Iran, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia -- accounted for more than 91 percent of the 2,390 executions, according to the group's report "Death Sentences and Executions in 2008."

    I guess it's easier to put the US in that category than saying "The US was responsible for a little over 1.5% of those executions.

    China was responsible for almost 72% by themselves.

    Iran was responsible for over 14%

    Saudi Arabia was responsible for a little over 4%

    And Pakistan must have been responsible for less than 1%

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Almost 38 people executed in the US in 2008!

    Seriously, they could easily have said




    I guess it's easier to put the US in that category than saying "The US was responsible for a little over 1.5% of those executions.

    China was responsible for almost 72% by themselves.

    Iran was responsible for over 14%

    Saudi Arabia was responsible for a little over 4%

    And Pakistan must have been responsible for less than 1%
    I've got one question for you...

    ...what's "almost" 38 people? Did they execute 37 and a half, or maybe only 36 and a quarter people? Are you using the archaic Constitutional formula that defines a black person as 3/5 of a white person?

    How did you get to "almost" 38?

  5. #15
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I've got one question for you...

    ...what's "almost" 38 people? Did they execute 37 and a half, or maybe only 36 and a quarter people? Are you using the archaic Constitutional formula that defines a black person as 3/5 of a white person?

    How did you get to "almost" 38?
    I think he's playing off the title of the thread.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,831
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    In the US, most people are put to death because they deserve to die. Let me provide you with a few examples:

    Death recommended for Lam Luong - al.com

    AMW.com | Harrell Johnson - Fugitive

    Boy, 6, Dies After Being Dragged in a Stolen Car - Los Angeles Times

    3:03 p.m.: Life sentence for gruesome murder - TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH

    Now some of these wastes of life didn't get the death penalty, but they all deserve it. IMO, the death penalty isn't used enough in this country.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    I didn't find the report biased... Amnesty doesn't form political agendas out of nowhere. If the U.S. is mentioned, then it is part of the top layer of the statistics. You can't sugar coat that. After some of the worst nations on Earth, the U.S. puts the most people to death. Out of the developed world, the U.S. executes the most of its own people. It's a simple fact.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,831
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I didn't find the report biased... Amnesty doesn't form political agendas out of nowhere. If the U.S. is mentioned, then it is part of the top layer of the statistics. You can't sugar coat that. After some of the worst nations on Earth, the U.S. puts the most people to death. Out of the developed world, the U.S. executes the most of its own people. It's a simple fact.
    You lost me at the part in bold.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by P/N View Post
    You lost me at the part in bold.
    Some people in this thread claim that placing the U.S. alongside the other worst nations (which are largely dictatorial in nature) is agenda based. I disagree... it is simply fact based.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,831
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Amnesty: Almost 2,400 executed in 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Some people in this thread claim that placing the U.S. alongside the other worst nations (which are largely dictatorial in nature) is agenda based. I disagree... it is simply fact based.
    From the article:

    The United States carried out 37 executions, but the number was the lowest since 1995
    37 people executed out of a population of well over 300 million is significant? I'd say that's not enough based on the amount of crime that takes place here. I gave 4 examples of worthless pieces of **** that deserve to be put to death, and yet only one stands a chance at being put to death (the first one), the others were sentenced to life or less. Putting the US in the same category as Iran, China and Saudi Arabia when it comes to putting people to death is not fact based, it is agenda based. When scum like the ones I linked to are not put to death in the US, but would be put to death in a heartbeat in the other three countries mentioned, the US is not even in the same league. This is a clear agenda driven report because the facts simply do not prove their point in the least.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •