Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: More nutritious food part of government plan

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    More nutritious food part of government plan

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/bu...tml?ref=health

    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    AS tens of thousands of people recently strolled among booths of the nation’s largest organic and natural foods show here, munching on fair-trade chocolate and sipping organic wine, a few dozen pioneers of the industry sneaked off to an out-of-the-way conference room.

    Although unit sales of organic food have leveled off and even declined lately, versus a year earlier, the mood among those crowded into the conference room was upbeat as they awaited a private screening of a documentary called “Food Inc.” — a withering critique of agribusiness and industrially produced food.

    They also gathered to relish their changing political fortunes, courtesy of the Obama administration.

    “This has never been just about business,” said Gary Hirshberg, chief executive of Stonyfield Farm, the maker of organic yogurt. “We are here to change the world. We dreamt for decades of having this moment.”

    After being largely ignored for years by Washington, advocates of organic and locally grown food have found a receptive ear in the White House, which has vowed to encourage a more nutritious and sustainable food supply.
    Due to the growing obesity epidemic, and the demand for fresh, local foods, the White House is considering a plan to award farmers that engage in sustainable and diversified agriculture as part of the farming subsidy. Argicultural as a whole will still be subsidized and consumers will make the choices, but the idea is to reward farmers that are not damaging the environment and who engage in more local business ties.
    Last edited by Orion; 03-23-09 at 07:28 AM.

  2. #2
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    How does me buying my brisketts, pork shoulders, ribs, etc, locally and organic and making my BBQ sauce from all locally available organics help with the obesity problem?


    The idea that if you buy local and organic will somehow change the obesity problem is rather silly.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    How does me buying my brisketts, pork shoulders, ribs, etc, locally and organic and making my BBQ sauce from all locally available organics help with the obesity problem?


    The idea that if you buy local and organic will somehow change the obesity problem is rather silly.
    It is more than that... it includes moving away from processed, packaged foods that have additives which are widely suspected of contributing to health problems.

  4. #4
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It is more than that... it includes moving away from processed, packaged foods that have additives which are widely suspected of contributing to health problems.



    Yes. This I FULLY agree with. However the way you phrased it left me wondering. as a non organic tomato has the same calories as an organic one.


    However thinking that only eating organics is going to help you lose weight is incorrect. It's about input vs. output.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #5
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    It sounds like a good idea if your goal is population control, although starvation is a particular nasty way to die. Without modern farming techniques, the US could not begin feed its own citizens let alone export a lot of food products.

    Maybe this is one of President Teleprompter's ways of dealing with Africa.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Yes. This I FULLY agree with. However the way you phrased it left me wondering. as a non organic tomato has the same calories as an organic one.


    However thinking that only eating organics is going to help you lose weight is incorrect. It's about input vs. output.
    The word organic is mentioned in the article, but I tend to focus more on the other content: local, unprocessed, fresh. Local is better because it requires less energy to transport the food; unprocessed and fresh means less additives that are damaging to health, and more nutritious content.

    To correct your statement: you can eat only organics and lose weight, but you don't have to eat just organics.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    It sounds like a good idea if your goal is population control, although starvation is a particular nasty way to die. Without modern farming techniques, the US could not begin feed its own citizens let alone export a lot of food products.

    Maybe this is one of President Teleprompter's ways of dealing with Africa.
    The article nor anyone else has mentioned replacing modern farming.

  8. #8
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It is more than that... it includes moving away from processed, packaged foods that have additives which are widely suspected of contributing to health problems.
    IMO that's exactly why Americans are getting so fat (with some exceptions of course). But gov't cannot change that.

    There will still be people with no interest in cooking at the end of the day, and it's easier to nuke a pre-made meal.

    There will still be people unwilling or unable to make breakfast for thier kids, so they let 'em bulk up with high sugar cereals (plus too many parents these days would rather be cool than be parents).

    There will always be people who would prefer a sloppy, greasy lunch at the drive through than making a sandwich in the morning and packing a lunch (which BTW is cheaper, but that doesn't seem to matter).

    These people aren't going to buy organic. They're not going to buy anything to make a meal from wholesome ingredients (organic or not). They're going to teach their kids how to microwave pre-made Kraft Mac n' Cheese rather than give 'em an apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  9. #9
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The word organic is mentioned in the article, but I tend to focus more on the other content: local, unprocessed, fresh. Local is better because it requires less energy to transport the food; unprocessed and fresh means less additives that are damaging to health, and more nutritious content.

    To correct your statement: you can eat only organics and lose weight, but you don't have to eat just organics.



    Again, incorrect. I can eat non-processed foods, of the non organic variety and have the same results.


    Organic is irrelevant to your argument.



    A blt with local bacon. lettuce and tomato will have the same calories whether organic or not.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #10
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Again, incorrect. I can eat non-processed foods, of the non organic variety and have the same results.


    Organic is irrelevant to your argument.



    A blt with local bacon. lettuce and tomato will have the same calories whether organic or not.
    That's true. And IIRC (too lazy to look it up at the moment) "organic" refers to the methods used to grow. It does not refer to nutrition contents.

    (ps. I'm a organic gardener, and it's MUCH more expensive to garden that way. There are sometimes a great need for chemicals)
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •