Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: More nutritious food part of government plan

  1. #21
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    This is making me hungry. Think I will go have a pizza with double pepperoni and extra cheese.

  2. #22
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    I think society's view of food needs to be radically reformed and I think local and organic food is a part of that.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    I think society's view of food needs to be radically reformed and I think local and organic food is a part of that.
    I couldn't agree with you anymore.

    However, let me add that the price of fuel, *ahem* fueled the thinking on this as well. Why get your broccoli from a source 2000 miles away, when you can get it local?

  4. #24
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Another government "plan".

    Great, just what we don't need. We're taught at an early age about nutrition and excersise, at least most of us were.

    It's up to the individual to decide whether or not to live a healthy lifestyle, and no amount of government "plans" are going to change that.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I couldn't agree with you anymore.

    However, let me add that the price of fuel, *ahem* fueled the thinking on this as well. Why get your broccoli from a source 2000 miles away, when you can get it local?
    It's cheaper, and provides diversity. Citrus fruits don't grow everywhere, nor do avocadoes and the like. If you can import a fruit for cheaper than it is to grow locally, then it won't be grown locally. This ideology goes for all products. Every country can specialize in a few things and import the rest of its needs from all other countries, instead of having to create all things domestically. Having to create all things domestically means a lesser supply, which means higher price.

    But this basic idea has arisen in an era prior to environmental problems, and prior to the rising cost of fuel. Once fuel surcharges affect price to such an extent that it's comparable to produce it domestically, local markets will flourish once more... though global products, like avocadoes, will become more scarce.

    In any case, I think a mixed system is still the best bet. Grow locally and buy locally for all of the common items, and continue importing for specialty items.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The government initiative is not being undertaken to help those who don't want to change, but to help those who do, as well as those who already support local, fresh goods. I agree with you, there will always be people who don't want to change and want to eat like crap. That's their choice and no one is telling them otherwise.

    But you never know... maybe by increasing the public profile of the fresh, local food markets (whether or not they are "organic"), it will catch on with some people who didn't know that much about them in the first place. Big ideals often start small.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm into the whole buy local organic thing, but the people who are most likely to want it already like it by and large.

    The real way to lose weight is to move more.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #27
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    You can have just as sloppy and greasy with organic ingredients as any fast food place.

    Case and point:




    This is my world famous pulled pork sammich.


    Made with:

    Organic locally produced Portugese style roll
    Organic locally procured pork shoulder from a local farm
    Organic locally produced American cheese
    Organic Locally produced Cabbage (slaw)
    Organic ingredients home produced BBQ sauce. There may be a couple spices not local... but that's a secret.


    You ain't losing weight on my sammiches.....
    I'll take about 20 of those for lunch, be ready for me at dinner.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #28
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    You can have just as sloppy and greasy with organic ingredients as any fast food place.

    Case and point:




    This is my world famous pulled pork sammich.


    Made with:

    Organic locally produced Portugese style roll
    Organic locally procured pork shoulder from a local farm
    Organic locally produced American cheese
    Organic Locally produced Cabbage (slaw)
    Organic ingredients home produced BBQ sauce. There may be a couple spices not local... but that's a secret.


    You ain't losing weight on my sammiches.....
    I'm callin' ya on the sandwich bro. While it definitely looks to be a tasty morsel, the cheese appears to be swiss, not american.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  9. #29
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,411

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    I'm callin' ya on the sandwich bro. While it definitely looks to be a tasty morsel, the cheese appears to be swiss, not american.



    It's white American. The hole at the end is an anomaly...



    it came from:






    Another incarnation of perfection:


    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 03-23-09 at 03:02 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: More nutritious food part of government plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    It's cheaper, and provides diversity. Citrus fruits don't grow everywhere, nor do avocadoes and the like. If you can import a fruit for cheaper than it is to grow locally, then it won't be grown locally. This ideology goes for all products. Every country can specialize in a few things and import the rest of its needs from all other countries, instead of having to create all things domestically. Having to create all things domestically means a lesser supply, which means higher price.

    .
    I think thats an important thing to mention. There's just no way, in the middle of January in Wisconsin, I can buy fresh fruit or vegetables that are grown locally. Conversely, milk and cheese was way cheaper up there, than it is down here in the south.

    If Obama's admin wants to reward local, small farmers and organic producers thats fine with me. There's no harm in creating incentive. I like that attitude better than trying to take a puinitive stance with non-organic farmers.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •