Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Trade barriers rise due to recession

  1. #11
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Got a plan for how this will work, or would you rather just offer an angry, bile-filled rant?

    Let me know how happy you are when you're paying 5 times as much in labor costs for everything you get,
    By that argument we should allow companies to outsource to any where that practices slavery. Imagine how much money we could save if Hasbro and NIKE only had to pay for the food,clothes and roof over the head of their "workers" if they could buy slaves.
    Besides,where things 5 times more expensive before NAFTA and world trade? Besides I am not going to shed a tear because we decide to make it less profitable to exploit people in 3rd countries and people in communist countries with dirt cheap wages.Labor is only small piece of the price.

    and how great American manufacturing is doing when we can't export anything.
    What do we export other than jobs? Oh no China won't allow us to export any more manufacturing jobs to them.


    Amazing how some people can sit there and pretend to be conservative and pretend to be pro-American when do everything you can to allow American jobs to be flushed down the toilet. Being patriotic is more than just waiving a flag and claiming you support the troops.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #12
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    By that argument we should allow companies to outsource to any where that practices slavery. Imagine how much money we could save if Hasbro and NIKE only had to pay for the food,clothes and roof over the head of their "workers" if they could buy slaves.
    We'd save money!? Do you know how much a Nike worker makes...?

    What do we export other than jobs? Oh no China won't allow us to export any more manufacturing jobs to them.
    That's fail dude, Here:
    Stimulus? U.S. to buy Chinese condoms, ending Alabama jobs

    Amazing how some people can sit there and pretend to be conservative and pretend to be pro-American when do everything you can to allow American jobs to be flushed down the toilet. Being patriotic is more than just waiving a flag and claiming you support the troops.
    American jobs are not being flushed down the toilet. There are people who are willing to work for less, and work longer and harder.... Capitalism sucks, huh
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #13
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Gottahurt already answered that question. Perhaps, instead of summarily dismissing his post you should deign to read it.
    Not quite. He posted something from a questionable source without clear references. Merely because they say they do does not equate to actually doing. The Dallas News link doesn't provide any citations either. Now, if he had something with solid evidence, that would be difference. But as usually, that is not case.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    By that argument we should allow companies to outsource to any where that practices slavery. Imagine how much money we could save if Hasbro and NIKE only had to pay for the food,clothes and roof over the head of their "workers" if they could buy slaves.
    Which is why we have treaties to ensure that there is a minimum baseline of treatment. You do understand that there's a middle ground between slavery and $71/hour to build a car, right?


    Besides,where things 5 times more expensive before NAFTA and world trade?
    If not for free trade, inflation would have made the vast majority of niceties that you and I take for granted into luxuries. The fact that free trade curbed inflation and reduced prices so that the increase was not as dramatic is not evidence that it wouldn't have happened at all.

    Besides I am not going to shed a tear because we decide to make it less profitable to exploit people in 3rd countries and people in communist countries with dirt cheap wages.Labor is only small piece of the price.
    Depending on the product, labor is often a huge part of the price. And where are you getting this "communist" stuff from? The vast majority of our imports come from fellow democracies.


    What do we export other than jobs? Oh no China won't allow us to export any more manufacturing jobs to them.
    You're kidding, right?

    In 2006 U.S. exports grew by 12.7 percent over 2005 to $1.4 trillion. Exports comprised 11.1 percent of U.S. GDP in 2006, the highest ever in dollar terms.
    Do you consider $1,400,000,000,000 nothing?

    Amazing how some people can sit there and pretend to be conservative and pretend to be pro-American when do everything you can to allow American jobs to be flushed down the toilet. Being patriotic is more than just waiving a flag and claiming you support the troops.
    It's also more than hating mexicans for TAKING ARE JERBS!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    By that argument we should allow companies to outsource to any where that practices slavery. Imagine how much money we could save if Hasbro and NIKE only had to pay for the food,clothes and roof over the head of their "workers" if they could buy slaves.
    Besides,where things 5 times more expensive before NAFTA and world trade? Besides I am not going to shed a tear because we decide to make it less profitable to exploit people in 3rd countries and people in communist countries with dirt cheap wages.Labor is only small piece of the price.
    Oh bull****. They aren't being "exploited." If an Indonesian is willing to make shoes for $1 per hour, it's because he considers that to be a good wage. Every country goes through a sweatshop phase before they can develop. Western Europe did in the 1800s. The United States did in the early 1900s. Japan did in the 1950s. Korea and Taiwan did in the 1980s. China and Vietnam are doing it now. Eventually they all outgrew their sweatshop phases and became prosperous nations.

    Your phony concern for "exploitation" is laughable. Why don't we ask the workers in question if they feel exploited? And if they don't, then I suggest shutting up would be the best course of action.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage
    What do we export other than jobs? Oh no China won't allow us to export any more manufacturing jobs to them.
    Our exports, according to the CIA World Factbook:
    agricultural products (soybeans, fruit, corn) 9.2%, industrial supplies (organic chemicals) 26.8%, capital goods (transistors, aircraft, motor vehicle parts, computers, telecommunications equipment) 49.0%, consumer goods (automobiles, medicines) 15.0% (2003)

    Just because YOU are unaware of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage
    Amazing how some people can sit there and pretend to be conservative and pretend to be pro-American when do everything you can to allow American jobs to be flushed down the toilet. Being patriotic is more than just waiving a flag and claiming you support the troops.
    You're right. For starters, it's about knowing what the **** you're talking about, learning some economics, and stop bitching about the furriners takin err jerrrbs when the real problem is that you failed to educate yourself to compete in a globalized world.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-24-09 at 01:16 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #16
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not quite. He posted something from a questionable source without clear references. Merely because they say they do does not equate to actually doing. The Dallas News link doesn't provide any citations either. Now, if he had something with solid evidence, that would be difference. But as usually, that is not case.
    Once again, you show up empty handed spouting non sense.

    A simple Google search will yield article after article, basically saying the same thing. Teamsters are crying, Mexican trucks pass muster.

    Trade War with Mexico? - BusinessWeek
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  7. #17
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ...
    eerie.

    .....
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #18
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    eerie.

    .....
    We Surround Him
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #19
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Once again, you show up empty handed spouting non sense.
    lol. Amusing. I wonder if you can read. The only thing of relevance in that article was Joseph W. Comé's report. And given its statistical problems, it may not be a good indicator of safety. A total sample of 97 trucks is rather inconclusive to those who understand statistics. But I do realize that an understanding of that science is essentially nonexistent here.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #20
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Trade barriers rise due to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    By that argument we should allow companies to outsource to any where that practices slavery.
    Sweat shops are slave camps?

    Pray tell, if that was true, why are sweat shop jobs in such high demand?

    NIKE pays something like 1.5 to 2 times the average wage in most countries it operates in. Slavery? How is it slavery when people line up to get jobs and the jobs pay well above the national averages?

    Or would you rather have them work as prostitutes?

    In the slums in Indonesia and in Thailand, many workers even speak of sweatshop jobs as their greatest aspiration.
    Asia's Crisis Upsets Rising Effort To Confront Blight of Sweatshops - The New York Times

    The data clearly show that overall, apparel industry workers are far better off than most people in their economies.
    Sweatshops and Third World Living Standards: Are the Jobs Worth the Sweat?: Publications: The Independent Institute

    Imagine how much money we could save if Hasbro and NIKE only had to pay for the food,clothes and roof over the head of their "workers" if they could buy slaves.
    What are you talking about?

    Besides,where things 5 times more expensive before NAFTA and world trade?
    Off season foods. For instance, agricultural tariffs on vegetables out of season in the US imported from South America were phenomenal. Bare minimum 35% tariff. Now with NAFTA, there is no tariff on out of season vegetables brought in from Mexico.

    Besides I am not going to shed a tear because we decide to make it less profitable to exploit people in 3rd countries and people in communist countries with dirt cheap wages.
    I wasn't aware that South Korea and Japan were Communist during the 50s and 60s. And China is Communist in name only. So is Vietnam. Thailand is a democracy as is Indonesia. And you forget that direct investment brings up the standards of living in a developing country. Bilateral trade with South Korea, which was a developing nation has dramatically increased over the past 20 years. US exports to SK over the past 14 years have hit $70 billion annually. Trade with the world market not only allows us variety, but variety with value and it creates export markets. Your argument would have us shut down our trade with South Korea costing millions of Americans their jobs.

    Beyond the U.S.–South Korea Alliance: Reinvigorating Economic Relations

    What do we export other than jobs? Oh no China won't allow us to export any more manufacturing jobs to them.
    US Exports to China by State, 2000-07

    You can check how much your state exports to China.

    Amazing how some people can sit there and pretend to be conservative and pretend to be pro-American when do everything you can to allow American jobs to be flushed down the toilet. Being patriotic is more than just waiving a flag and claiming you support the troops.
    Explain to me how supporting a framework that costs millions of Americans their jobs, slows growth of export markets, forces Americans to buy inferior products at higher prices, reduces our quality of living, was directly responsible for WWII, and weakens ties with our allies is "pro-American."

    Try it. If you can.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •