Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 199

Thread: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

  1. #31
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    Because souls don't reproduce. Is gender needed in the afterlife?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Yeah--when two bodies and souls have sex, often the result is another body and soul. It's called making a baby.
    Does all life have a soul?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Because souls don't reproduce. Is gender needed in the afterlife?
    Souls DO reproduce--body and soul is are incomplete without the other. And yes--gender matters. Christians believe in the Resurrection of the body.



    Does all life have a soul?
    No. Only that sort of life that has been imbued with a soul by God--and the only corporeal life that has been inspired is human beings.

  3. #33
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Souls DO reproduce--body and soul is are incomplete without the other. And yes--gender matters. Christians believe in the Resurrection of the body.



    No. Only that sort of life that has been imbued with a soul by God--and the only corporeal life that has been inspired is human beings.
    What is the difference between a male and female soul?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    What is the difference between a male and female soul?
    Generally, it is what they are naturally inclined to, like woman tend to be more nurturing whereas men are generally more assertive. There's no "soul penis"--just as the soul is something that is not of a tangible material, the differences between men and women at the spiritual level are also intangible. The idea that we are all the same--a "tabula rasa"--is losing ground at a fast rate within science. It's something religion has always recognized. Difference is not bad or good--it's just "different."

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Where does the Catholic Church say "men are better?" It doesn't--it says "men and women are different." We all have different natures and abilities--being able to do one thing that someone else cannot does not mean one is "better" than another. YOU are the one who views the priesthood as some "honor" that only men can achieve. Yeah--with all the attacks that priests get ...some "honor!" The priesthood is a service, if one views it as a status symbol--THAT'S a lousy priest.
    So if women were barred from being drs. on the premise that they were different it wouldn't be discrimination? If women were told by men that they couldn't be drs. because they were different, with different abilities - this wouldn't be discrimination? If women were told, "Look you don't even want to worry your pretty lil head with that because drs. get sued all the time and it's a very touch job," that wouldn't be discrimination?

    Or is your argument that when God discriminates as an employer it's ok.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    So if women were barred from being drs. on the premise that they were different it wouldn't be discrimination? If women were told by men that they couldn't be drs. because they were different, with different abilities - this wouldn't be discrimination? If women were told, "Look you don't even want to worry your pretty lil head with that because drs. get sued all the time and it's a very touch job," that wouldn't be discrimination?
    Priests are not doctors--it's an altogether different thing. That's why priests don't call it a "career"--it's a "vocation."

    Or is your argument that when God discriminates as an employer it's ok.
    God isn't "an employer"--He's God.

  7. #37
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Generally, it is what they are naturally inclined to, like woman tend to be more nurturing whereas men are generally more assertive. There's no "soul penis"--just as the soul is something that is not of a tangible material, the differences between men and women at the spiritual level are also intangible. The idea that we are all the same--a "tabula rasa"--is losing ground at a fast rate within science. It's something religion has always recognized. Difference is not bad or good--it's just "different."
    How did nuns get the reputation for being so assertive with their ruler smacking and whatnot? Isn't the priest the one that nurtures faith? It seems to me that souls are different or similar to the human body depending on when it's convenient for an argument. What does a man have that a woman doesn't that makes God decree that only a man can hold the infallible position of Pope? If forgiveness is so big with the Church, doesn't that take more nurturing than assertiveness?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Priests are not doctors--it's an altogether different thing. That's why priests don't call it a "career"--it's a "vocation."

    God isn't "an employer"--He's God.
    The church is an employer, a discriminating employer.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Priests are not doctors--it's an altogether different thing. That's why priests don't call it a "career"--it's a "vocation."
    I did a google search on "Priests that are doctors"

    Here is an odd article that came up:

    Arunachal Pradesh, India - Hundreds of tribal people in Arunachal Pradesh still rely on community priests rather than medical practitioners to cure diseases. http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=25170&sec=73&cont=4

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How did nuns get the reputation for being so assertive with their ruler smacking and whatnot? Isn't the priest the one that nurtures faith? It seems to me that souls are different or similar to the human body depending on when it's convenient for an argument. What does a man have that a woman doesn't that makes God decree that only a man can hold the infallible position of Pope? If forgiveness is so big with the Church, doesn't that take more nurturing than assertiveness?
    You want to separate soul and body to try to make your point--and I already said repeatedly, the two are incomplete without the other. The nature of woman is receptive, and the nature of man is generative--but for the human race to be complete, we need both. What man has that woman does not have for the position of Pope is the calling. Men, and only men, are called to the priesthood. And only 266 men in the whole world have been called to be Pope. Does that mean all the other men in history have been discriminated against?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •