Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 199

Thread: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

  1. #11
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Perhaps because this is about as newsworthy as "BREAKING: Bird Reappears for Spring"?
    Yet somehow the Pope condemning the use of condoms IS breaking news considering that this has been the teaching for God knows how long?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    joke Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    Of course, the Anti-Catholics will spin this silly, but it is entirely consistent with what I have said on other threads regarding the empowerment of women and the necessity to give women more ability to make their own decisions - including in the sexual realm.
    Yes that's right, it takes a man to give a woman an ability to make decisions; they don't have that ability inherently

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    hey, even GWB got SOME things right.....
    I had a broken watch once....

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    There is absolutely no evidence of that, and quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. The pope is putting his religious beliefs before the facts and public health. His actions are causing harm and he should take flak for them.
    Mirror of Justice: Condom Use and AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Yet somehow the Pope condemning the use of condoms IS breaking news considering that this has been the teaching for God knows how long?
    I thought that was stupid too, fwiw.

    I think most of the outrage over the pope's condom comments came from the fact that people completely misconstrued what he said.

    The Volokh Conspiracy - -
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The silence from the anti-Catholic bigots, who are flooding their own anti-Catholic threads but ignore a thread where even they can only but admit the Pope is right, is deafening.
    The Catholic Church is hardly a model for womens rights and equality. You don't get a cookie because you condemn sexual violence against women. You're supposed to condemn sexual violence against women, and anyone else as a matter of course.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    You're supposed to condemn sexual violence against women, and anyone else as a matter of course.
    They do.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    They do.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Well ludahai seems to think they deserve some sort of medal for finally putting forth a statement that isn't a total PR catastrophe.

    In any event, my assertion stands. The Catholic Church really has no business taking on equality and womens rights generally until they've dealt with the discrimination in their own house.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Well ludahai seems to think they deserve some sort of medal for finally putting forth a statement that isn't a total PR catastrophe.
    No--I think he's just sick of all the bull**** strawman attacks as I am, and wanted to see the hypocrites choke on their own bile.

    In any event, my assertion stands. The Catholic Church really has no business taking on equality and womens rights generally until they've dealt with the discrimination in their own house.
    Like what? You gonna go on about female priests?

    Is a man "discriminated against" because he can't get pregnant? It's just not part of the nature of what pregnancy is, or what a man is. Likewise, women are not discriminated against because they can't be a priest. Jesus was a man--He is the highpriest--only men are able to be priests by their nature.

    Don't worry...I know the Heimlich

  9. #19
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    How much relevance does the Pope and Vatican have any more? Frankly, I tend to change the channel if a Pope segment airs on TV. And most Catholics I've known don't seem to feel strongly one way or the other about what he says... not in the way they seem to care about what Democrats or Republicans are saying in this country anyway.

    BTW, I used to really like the old Pope. This new one seems awfully creepy.


  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope condemns sexual violence against women

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    How much relevance does the Pope and Vatican have any more? Frankly, I tend to change the channel if a Pope segment airs on TV. And most Catholics I've known don't seem to feel strongly one way or the other about what he says... not in the way they seem to care about what Democrats or Republicans are saying in this country anyway.

    The United States is only one country, and the Church worldwide is growing, not shrinking.


    BTW, I used to really like the old Pope. This new one seems awfully creepy.
    Yeah...and Abraham Lincoln or Mahatma Gandhi were really "attractive" leaders.


    How flippin' shallow.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •