Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 133

Thread: US high school 'held cage fights'

  1. #11
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    why do you guys hate entertainment so much
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  2. #12
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    why do you guys hate entertainment so much
    Because the FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE thing to do would have been to make this a PPV. With school budgets as tight as they are in THIS economy, districts can't afford to let opportunities like this slip by.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #13
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Because the FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE thing to do would have been to make this a PPV. With school budgets as tight as they are in THIS economy, districts can't afford to let opportunities like this slip by.
    I got "FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE, THIS" out of your post. Please tone down the language, sir.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  4. #14
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    Philly is suffering from the end of industrialization whereas Dallas is full of oil money and we still don't have schools that sponsor steel cage matches
    South Oak Cliff is nowhere near the 'oil money' in Dallas.


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    BBC NEWS | Americas | US high school 'held cage fights'

    Staff at a high school in the US state of Texas had students settle their differences by fighting inside a steel cage, a local newspaper has reported.

    What a fine place Texas is.
    God bless Texas.

  6. #16
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Saw the video. Kids were wearing headgear and gloves, the floor was padded, and they had responsible adult supervision-- including breaking clinches and preventing groundfighting. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the school did wrong was failing to secure parental permission for the bouts. That, and it probably would have been better to use an open space instead of a cage.

    This is still a damn sight better for the students than having them expelled and arrested.

    Still, it makes me wonder what the principal was thinking in the current legal and cultural climate.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Yeah. they should let them settle thier differences in the streets with guns, knives, and ball bats like they do in Philly.
    Ummmmm wow. You're an idiot if you think that even REMOTELY compares to tax payer funded teachers telling kids to fight each other.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Saw the video. Kids were wearing headgear and gloves, the floor was padded, and they had responsible adult supervision-- including breaking clinches and preventing groundfighting. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the school did wrong was failing to secure parental permission for the bouts. That, and it probably would have been better to use an open space instead of a cage.

    This is still a damn sight better for the students than having them expelled and arrested.

    Still, it makes me wonder what the principal was thinking in the current legal and cultural climate.
    I think this is a great way to handle your typical male.

    No, we don't need sensitivity training, we don't need lectures, expulsions, etc...those things will only piss us off even more and no, we won't change even you fill us with riddlin (Columbine).

    We need a paternal authority to give us an appropriate outlet for our aggression, and I think this school just about got it right.

  9. #19
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think this is a great way to handle your typical male.

    No, we don't need sensitivity training, we don't need lectures, expulsions, etc...those things will only piss us off even more and no, we won't change even you fill us with riddlin (Columbine).

    We need a paternal authority to give us an appropriate outlet for our aggression, and I think this school just about got it right.
    My old man would have my brother and me box each other whenever we started fighting. Put the gloves on us and then acted as the ref. We both ended up boxing for years.

    It was a great outlet for our aggression and every now and then the two of us will still spar each other for fun.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ummmmm wow. You're an idiot if you think that even REMOTELY compares to tax payer funded teachers telling kids to fight each other.
    Tax payer funded teachers tell kids to fight each other all the time, or did your school not have a wrestling team?

    Mine did, and they kicked ass. The wrestling coach made a deal with a local Judo dojo to give discounts to middle school students so that they would be trained by the time they got to our high school

    The dojo got the student's business and free name recognition at high school tournaments. Gotta love the free market.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-21-09 at 02:00 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •