Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 133

Thread: US high school 'held cage fights'

  1. #121
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    If you never defended yourself, you DO NOT KNOW how to defend yourself.


    Refer to my statement re: being punched in the face.
    Being punched in the face does not automatically mean you know how to defend yourself. I know a guy who has had his ass kicked more times than I can count on both hands. He doesn't know how to defend himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #122
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Being punched in the face does not automatically mean you know how to defend yourself. I know a guy who has had his ass kicked more times than I can count on both hands. He doesn't know how to defend himself.




    until you get punched in the face, all you have is self defense "theory"
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #123
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Of course the UFC is competition. But its a display of physical agression as well. You don't win by running away, or by winning a philisophical debate about a topic. You win by beating your opponent up more than he does you. Thats important for us to hold dear in our culture, because there are simply situations where being the more physically aggressive party is going to save your skin.

    What having these competitions in a school does, is provides a safer outlet for the anger that will likely be unleashed anyway. But its done with protective gear, under supervision. Is it better for two kids to square off, with gloves, headgear, and a mouth piece or have one kid tackle another from behind and start beating his head into the floor and his friends join in kicking him while he's down.

    Denying or trying to suppress our natural tendencies to the level we pretend that we shouldn't have an outlet for them is more dangerous and unhealthy IMO, than throwing on some gloves and having at it.
    Even more, doing it in a controlled environment like this can teach them that the person who acts wildly in anger will not be as likely to win as the one who acts with cool efficiency.

    It is an outlet for aggression, but more importantly, it can teach them how to released controlled aggression. That is something very lacking in today's society. Aggression will exist regardless of what we try to do to stop it or prevent it.

    Right now, most children are never taught how to control their aggression and utilize it as a tool and, thus, they end up being controlled by that aggression. They act like thugs. They have no honor.

    People will try to say that there is no honor in fighting, but they are wrong. There can be honor in fighting. There is an honorable to fight, and there is a dishonorable way to fight. It is important that we teach them the honorable ways of doing it.

  4. #124
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    I know this might be an alien idea, but fighting in a controlled setting like this is actually a really good way for young men to work out there problems with each other.

    I suggest watching Alexander the Great film, specifically the part where young men are fighting to learn how to become good warriors. Basically the young boys create a bond with each other that last throughout there lifetimes. One of my best friends from highschool who I still talk to on a daily basis is a guy who I got into a very large fight with in gym class.

    I fear this kind of male bonding(I mean this as hetereosexually as possible) is what is missing from children nowadays. It is an easy way to come to terms with each other, something not really explainable in words.
    Umm.. You wish to go back in time? Shall we start feeding the Christians to the Lions again? I am sure it would be a nice bonding time for all non X-ians?
    See how nuts that sounds?

    In a school setting? We should create more groups where students can bond over common interests and goals.. This brings kids together that may have never talked to each other before and it creates a peaceful, non-violent atmoshpeher-helping the kids learn from each other while developing friendships.

    I am at a loss as to why you feel that boys need to fight to be able to bond and will not even get into the sexism part of all of this..

  5. #125
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    I am shocked at some of you! You cannot really think this is the answer for kids solving their problems? I just cannot get my mind around what some of you are saying in this thread and just disgusted!

    You really feel if they do these caged matches at school that the losers are not gonna be picked on? Give me a break!

    The majority of this thread is nothing but a bunch of chest pounding males that feel boys should be boys and fight it out. Makes me sick

  6. #126
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Of course the UFC is competition. But its a display of physical agression as well. You don't win by running away, or by winning a philisophical debate about a topic. You win by beating your opponent up more than he does you. Thats important for us to hold dear in our culture, because there are simply situations where being the more physically aggressive party is going to save your skin.

    What having these competitions in a school does, is provides a safer outlet for the anger that will likely be unleashed anyway. But its done with protective gear, under supervision. Is it better for two kids to square off, with gloves, headgear, and a mouth piece or have one kid tackle another from behind and start beating his head into the floor and his friends join in kicking him while he's down.

    Denying or trying to suppress our natural tendencies to the level we pretend that we shouldn't have an outlet for them is more dangerous and unhealthy IMO, than throwing on some gloves and having at it.

    Do you know Anything about Child Development?

    Natural tendencies? We have a lot of natural tendencies that we do not act upon! Give me a break.

  7. #127
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Of course the UFC is competition. But its a display of physical agression as well. You don't win by running away, or by winning a philisophical debate about a topic. You win by beating your opponent up more than he does you. Thats important for us to hold dear in our culture, because there are simply situations where being the more physically aggressive party is going to save your skin.

    What having these competitions in a school does, is provides a safer outlet for the anger that will likely be unleashed anyway. But its done with protective gear, under supervision. Is it better for two kids to square off, with gloves, headgear, and a mouth piece or have one kid tackle another from behind and start beating his head into the floor and his friends join in kicking him while he's down.

    Denying or trying to suppress our natural tendencies to the level we pretend that we shouldn't have an outlet for them is more dangerous and unhealthy IMO, than throwing on some gloves and having at it.

    Do you know Anything about Child Development?

    Natural tendencies? We have a lot of natural tendencies that we do not act upon! Give me a break.

  8. #128
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Sorry for the doubleposts! Mod please remove as I cannot. Thanks

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Sorry for the doubleposts! Mod please remove as I cannot. Thanks
    FYI: There's an option at the very top of the editing page which will allow you to delete your post for as long as you can edit it, which is usually 25 minutes.

    DP mods donít like editing/deleting posts unless absolutely necessary, so donít be surprised if your double post remains.

  10. #130
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: US high school 'held cage fights'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I am shocked at some of you! You cannot really think this is the answer for kids solving their problems? I just cannot get my mind around what some of you are saying in this thread and just disgusted!

    You really feel if they do these caged matches at school that the losers are not gonna be picked on? Give me a break!

    The majority of this thread is nothing but a bunch of chest pounding males that feel boys should be boys and fight it out. Makes me sick
    If you cannot present a rational argument, people won't really give a **** about the fact that you get all emotional.

    In fact, most of us feel that if our stance elicits an emotion-laden outburst from you -given the source of that outburst- our stance must be 100% correct.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •