Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Science minister's coyness on evolution worries researchers

    This is an ongoing saga. Essentially, Stephen Harper's (who is an Evangelical) appointment of a Christian to be Minister of Science has worried a lot of scientific researchers in Canada. First, the Minister would not even acknowledge whether or not he believed in evolution; second, in a followup interview, he claimed that he "of course" believed in evolution, but then gave an extremely out of date (by about 100 years) explanation of what evolution was.

    I won't lie, I don't agree with creationism, but people are entitled to believe what they want. That said, a Science Minister who is clearly torn between science and religion? It it is just silly.

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Science minister's coyness on evolution worries researchers

    This is an ongoing saga. Essentially, Stephen Harper's (who is an Evangelical) appointment of a Christian to be Minister of Science has worried a lot of scientific researchers in Canada. First, the Minister would not even acknowledge whether or not he believed in evolution; second, in a followup interview, he claimed that he "of course" believed in evolution, but then gave an extremely out of date (by about 100 years) explanation of what evolution was.

    I won't lie, I don't agree with creationism, but people are entitled to believe what they want. That said, a Science Minister who is clearly torn between science and religion? It it is just silly.
    Will the explanation that would have made you happy be extremely out of date one hundred years from now?

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    There is no theory of evolution......there is only a list of species that Chuck Norris allows to exist.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  4. #4
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Crazy Canadian Christians....
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #5
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Science minister's coyness on evolution worries researchers

    This is an ongoing saga. Essentially, Stephen Harper's (who is an Evangelical) appointment of a Christian to be Minister of Science has worried a lot of scientific researchers in Canada. First, the Minister would not even acknowledge whether or not he believed in evolution; second, in a followup interview, he claimed that he "of course" believed in evolution, but then gave an extremely out of date (by about 100 years) explanation of what evolution was.

    I won't lie, I don't agree with creationism, but people are entitled to believe what they want. That said, a Science Minister who is clearly torn between science and religion? It it is just silly.
    Torn? bah, you think because someone is a christian they are suddenly in opposition to science?

    If he is smart, and credible, he should be a good minister, christian or no.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Torn? bah, you think because someone is a christian they are suddenly in opposition to science?

    If he is smart, and credible, he should be a good minister, christian or no.
    yeah, in a perfect world... isn't it the xians who keep telling us that man isn't perfect?

  7. #7
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Will the explanation that would have made you happy be extremely out of date one hundred years from now?
    Of course it will. Our knowledge of DNA alone is sparse enough that our current view of evolution will be extremely out of date in a decade, far less a century

  8. #8
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    yeah, in a perfect world... isn't it the xians who keep telling us that man isn't perfect?
    depends on what perfect is. Either way, it's irrelevant.

  9. #9
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Science Ministry coy on evolution discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    yeah, in a perfect world... isn't it the xians who keep telling us that man isn't perfect?
    Yeah. Anyone with common sense can see that. Of course, DarkWizard never said anyone was perfect.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •