Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 150

Thread: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

  1. #81
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    And how many lives do you think the popes advice on not using condoms will destroy?
    The Pope does not destroy these people's lives with his words. They are their own entity and are free to make any choice they would like.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #82
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The church should just stay at home and leave the empowering of women and educating to the UN.
    The U.N.? Are you kidding me? The U.N. is a joke.

    Empowering women but teaching both sex's not to use condoms just proves to me that the church is running in circles, and is as useless as ever in trying to resolve Africas HIV problem. Beliefs and scientific facts needs to be seperated, and using those scientific facts, we can help build the foundations for a healthier Africa. Instead, following beliefs and ignoring the creation of the condom (and whatever else beliefs deny) that greatly helps reduce the risk of becoming infected by HIV is pure stupidity. Abstaining from sex is out of the question, its pathetic, to expect of it from HIV infected people is foolish. Its part of our nature to have sex, no one, including the church, will change that.
    I highlighted irrelevant opinion in red...

    The church can voice there opinions all they want, but people should be encouraged to ignore there useless opinions.
    Again, no one has a gun to their head, screaming "YOU BETTER NOT USE CONDOMS OR I'LL BLOW YOUR FRIGGIN' HEAD OFF!!!" They are free to make their own decisions. The Pope prefers to educate women on empowerment and making healthy sexual decisions. He's not ignoring the creation of the condom, he's dealing with it.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #83
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    This is why religion is seperated from state. The entire idea of the vatican needs to stop, and this sick, twisted old christian bag needs a kick up the butt. The consequences of his words will be enourmous, especially in Africa where christianity plays a big role in many societies. What do you guys think?

    BBC NEWS | Europe | France chastises Pope on condoms
    I would say his remark is premature. At the moment it does not look favorably for his argument, but this does not stop him from being right should a dramatic increase in contraceptive use also coincide with a rise in the condition.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #84
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    His remark is incredibly stupid and wrong, but what's so surprising about that? He's the pope; he always says dumb ****.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Ask yourself a question: if I were in Africa for a year, would I abstain from high-risk sex or would I not? The answer is, yes, you would, therefore, the idea that people are incapable of controling their base inclinations is silly. They can control themselves but they choose not to; which makes the idea that they give two ****s about condoms even more preposterous.

    African men treat women like semen recipticals. They are nothing more than objects to them. They know about condoms and they know where to get them and how to use them, they simply choose not to because they don't care, at all.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Oh, one more thing, why does anyone think African Catholics actually listen to the Pope? He tells them to save sex for marriage, instead, they have sex like crazy. What makes any of you think that the Pope is the reason they're not using condoms? What, they refuse to practice abstinence but condoms are a no-go because the Pope says so? Stupid!

  7. #87
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    My question is when did the pope become an expert on AIDS prevention? Also, what is his real reason for being against condom use?

    The answer to the first question is he's not an expert.

    The second question's answer is he's against sex basically, and of course having sex outside of marriage, which I agree with him there, but he's not being realistic since sex has been around since the beginning of time. People fool around. Catholic's have been using condoms since they became available, hence the Catholic "big families" have been decreasing since all the different methods of birth control became available. I hardly know of any Catholic's who don't practice some form of BC besides the permitted "rhythm method". He's definitely living in the dark ages, and the church needs to get a more "with it" pope if they want to keep the religion alive, cause it's dying a slow, painful death.

    The Catholic Church has always been out of touch with the people, and this is why so many have, and do, fall away.

    I think saying condoms will not prevent AIDS is very irresponsible on his part. He needs to shut up when he has no clue what he's talking about. If a condom prevents one person from getting AIDS it can only be a good thing. Condoms are probably the cheapest way to keep African's from getting the disease.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  8. #88
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Ask yourself a question: if I were in Africa for a year, would I abstain from high-risk sex or would I not? The answer is, yes, you would, therefore, the idea that people are incapable of controling their base inclinations is silly. They can control themselves but they choose not to; which makes the idea that they give two ****s about condoms even more preposterous.

    African men treat women like semen recipticals. They are nothing more than objects to them. They know about condoms and they know where to get them and how to use them, they simply choose not to because they don't care, at all.
    This is probably true, but if it does scare even one person to stop having free-for-all sex it can only be a good thing.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    African men treat women like semen recipticals.
    I heard black people are lazy, too. And jews steal all your money.


  10. #90
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    The Pope does not destroy these people's lives with his words. They are their own entity and are free to make any choice they would like.
    But in general African communities are strict followers of christianity and have alot of faith in that religion. So when the vatican says something, they'll jump to it and obey his orders, which is precisely why the vaitcan must choose his words carefully for many people will follow his beliefs. The popes stupid comment WILL cause problems, despite what you say egofftin, in Africa. End of.

    The U.N.? Are you kidding me? The U.N. is a joke.
    No more a joke than the Vatican.

    I highlighted irrelevant opinion in red...
    Id do the same to you but i cant be bothered to quote everything you have written so far in this thread.

    Again, no one has a gun to their head, screaming "YOU BETTER NOT USE CONDOMS OR I'LL BLOW YOUR FRIGGIN' HEAD OFF!!!" They are free to make their own decisions. The Pope prefers to educate women on empowerment and making healthy sexual decisions. He's not ignoring the creation of the condom, he's dealing with it.
    Ive explained that already. Anyway, nothing the UN cant do, and better.

    His remark is incredibly stupid and wrong, but what's so surprising about that? He's the pope; he always says dumb ****.
    And every religious leader does and will continue to do so.

    Ask yourself a question: if I were in Africa for a year, would I abstain from high-risk sex or would I not? The answer is, yes, you would, therefore, the idea that people are incapable of controling their base inclinations is silly. They can control themselves but they choose not to; which makes the idea that they give two ****s about condoms even more preposterous.
    Until you can honestly go to Africa and spend your entire life there abstaining from sex ill dismiss your remark as a basless opinion. Try not having sex for years as of today, see if you manage. People do and will need to have sex. Sex is unavoidable. Asking people not to have it is just pathetic. They will have it, and look; HIV continues to spread. So the next alternative is education them so they DO give 2 ****s about condoms, the way they should. Empowerment of women is important, educating both male and female alike is important, and all part of the process of stopping HIV's rapid spread, but to say condoms do not or do not have to play a role in this is out of the question because it does play an important role in protecting oneself from HIV.

    To not use condoms as the vatican stated, and be affected by HIV, would mean not having sex. You may be able to do it yourself personally and live with that consequence for the rest of your life, but is that to say all of the African society will be able to do so? No. Population growth is rapid in Africa, people spurring in every direction, i doubt the entire african population with HIV would even CONSIDER abstaining from sex permanently. Its stupidity to even think so. To ask them not to use condoms would be to ask them never to have sex again. Sorry, to think thats possibly is out of the question.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 03-23-09 at 02:02 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •