Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 150

Thread: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    I still fail to see your point, Kaya.

    The Pope preaches abstinence and monogamy yet African Catholics largely dismiss this advice, so why should we believe they listen to him when he tells them not to use condoms?

    "Hey, Mutumbo. Where are you going?"

    "I'm going to engage in extramarital sex."

    "You want a condom?"

    "No! The Pope says we shouldn't use them!"

    "Well, what does the Pope say about engaging in extramarital sex?"

    "Good question...well, I'll see you later.

  2. #102
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    The Pope preaches abstinence and monogamy yet African Catholics largely dismiss this advice, so why should we believe they listen to him when he tells them not to use condoms?
    African catholics do not account for all of Africa or the population with HIV.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    African catholics do not account for all of Africa or the population with HIV.
    So what? The Pope has no influence over non-Catholics, hence they are immaterial to the nature of this discussion.

    Please answer my question: If the Pope preaches abstinence and monogamy yet African Catholics largely dismiss this advice, then why should we believe they listen to him when he tells them not to use condoms? Is the Pope really exacerbating the AIDS epidemic in Africa or is he just a convenient scapegoat?

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Well, then he only followed half of the church's teaching, didn't he? Had he saved the sex for a committed marital relationship with someone whose sexual history and HIV status he knew, he wouldn't have contracted HIV. The church teaches that, too.
    Ok. Time to stop.

    We do not want to hear you defend the retarded stance the Pope took.

    Looking at the people thanked this post I would say the Catholic mafia is out in full.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I'm an atheist and that makes sense to me. Why would the Pope care if you disagree? He's gonna follow the Church's teachings regardless.
    DO NOT encourage the catholic mafia, EgofTib.

    The pope, who looks like he's 178 years old, is a relic from another time who has no grasp on reality, the situation in Africa, or even what life in this century entails.

    He needs to refrain from running his yap for exactly this reason.

    He is cursing millions with death and eliminating the chances of Catholic conversion in Africa all at the same time.

    Basically, the Pope and his staff need to shut the hell up. They know knothing about sex because they do not have sex. Therefore, the Pope, who should be setting a good example, needs to stop his attack on condoms and allow for people in Africa to have at least a slight chance of avoiding HIV.

    The Pope should stick to riding in his pope-mobile and smiling for the camera.

  6. #106
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    African catholics do not account for all of Africa or the population with HIV.
    In fact, the countries with the highest AIDS rates are NOT even Catholic countries to begin with.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    In fact, the countries with the highest AIDS rates are NOT even Catholic countries to begin with.
    This is correlation, not causation. I find your implication distasteful.

  8. #108
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    So what's the Pope trying to put Chinese out of work now? :
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #109
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I do not recall the Pope calling himself an AIDS expert. He is an expert in Catholic theology and tradition.

    Well all of this is your opinion, so there's nothing to refute.
    The second question's answer is he's against sex basically, and of course having sex outside of marriage, which I agree with him there, but he's not being realistic since sex has been around since the beginning of time. People fool around. Catholic's have been using condoms since they became available, hence the Catholic "big families" have been decreasing since all the different methods of birth control became available. I hardly know of any Catholic's who don't practice some form of BC besides the permitted "rhythm method". He's definitely living in the dark ages, and the church needs to get a more "with it" pope if they want to keep the religion alive, cause it's dying a slow, painful death.

    The Catholic Church has always been out of touch with the people, and this is why so many have, and do, fall away.
    This is hardly opnion all you have to do is look at the size of Catholic families. He's not being realistic about sex, and that's not opinion, either. From what I understand a lot of married men are bringing AIDS home to their wives, so there are many issues he needs to address more thoroughly than just tossing out the old dust off of his shoe, "condoms won't prevent AIDS". He's joking of course, and there should have been canned laughter after he said this nonsensical phrase.

    The cheapest way to save them from the disease is to not have sex with someone who is HIV positive, which is the Pope's point.
    And do these people advertise that they have AIDS? Some may not evenknow. This is just too easy to be rational when it comes to sex.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  10. #110
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Concerns Over Popes Rejection of Condoms for Combating AIDS

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    In fact, the countries with the highest AIDS rates are NOT even Catholic countries to begin with.
    An assertion based around fake facts. Swaziland is the most prevelant HIV infected country, among many others, with a high population of Roman catholics.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •