Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 124

Thread: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

  1. #21
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Are you supporting their teaching, or introducing confusion by suggesting a piece of latex will keep someone "safe" while engaging in risky behaviors?
    It isn't guaranteed to keep someone safe, but it certainly couldn't hurt. It helps to prevent STD's. I still fail to see how this implies that they don't care about people.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    You mean, by placing an unusual amount of importance on sperm?

    That's a red-herring and not even what the Church teaches concerning the issue.

    That's what happens when you get your Catholic theology from Monty Python.

  3. #23
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    That's a red-herring and not even what the Church teaches concerning the issue.

    That's what happens when you get your Catholic theology from Monty Python.
    I meant it more as a joke, but feel free to take it seriously.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    It isn't guaranteed to keep someone safe, but it certainly couldn't hurt. It helps to prevent STD's. I still fail to see how this implies that they don't care about people.
    It can hurt in that it gives a false sense of safety and so people engage in the risky behavior thinking "it won't happen to me!"

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I meant it more as a joke, but feel free to take it seriously.
    I love Monty Python--and even that "Every sperm is sacred" song is funny if it's seen as satire rather than how so many seem to actually believe that the Church teaches that.

  6. #26
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    It can hurt in that it gives a false sense of safety and so people engage in the risky behavior thinking "it won't happen to me!"
    Only if people are stupid enough to think that it's 100% effective. When I have had sex with people using condoms I certainly don't think that it's going to be 100% effective. However, one can't live their life in constant fear of something that could happen. It's good to be cautious, but not overly fearful. If it ends up biting me in the ass, so be it.

  7. #27
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I love Monty Python--and even that "Every sperm is sacred" song is funny if it's seen as satire rather than how so many seem to actually believe that the Church teaches that.
    Exactly and that's what I was mocking because of the topic at hand. I love Monty Python too.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Do you think Africans are too stupid, or too morally bankrupt to learn to control the behaviors that spread AIDS?
    Yes. I'm pretty sure this would be obvious to anybody who studies the subject. Africa as a continent showed itself to be incapable of controlling it's sexual behavior even with the help of religion in the last 20 years. Thanks not only in part to tribalism but also to the prevalence of Christian & Muslim clergy. Only because of the persistence of groups that seek to educate and inform people has the growth been somewhat stalled. The position of the Catholic Church is one of willful ignorance of what humans do when they're not educated. One that doesn't take into account real sexual education, human behavior or societal problems. That you're defending this is no surprise.

    Africa | Catholic Relief Services --and that's just the USCCB. Worldwide, Catholic charitable services are leaders in caring for those in need.
    Meaning what exactly? That money isn't being used by the Catholic Church to teach sexual education. It's not being used to provide uneducated masses with condoms. So then what good is it for? Paying for the Pope's palace and telling people not to have sex?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes. I'm pretty sure this would be obvious to anybody who studies the subject. Africa as a continent showed itself to be incapable of controlling it's sexual behavior even with the help of religion in the last 20 years. Thanks not only in part to tribalism but also to the prevalence of Christian & Muslim clergy. Only because of the persistence of groups that seek to educate and inform people has the growth been somewhat stalled. The position of the Catholic Church is one of willful ignorance of what humans do when they're not educated. One that doesn't take into account real sexual education, human behavior or societal problems. That you're defending this is no surprise.



    Meaning what exactly? That money isn't being used by the Catholic Church to teach sexual education. It's not being used to provide uneducated masses with condoms. So then what good is it for? Paying for the Pope's palace and telling people not to have sex?
    It's not the Catholic Church's mission to teach sex education outside of their doctrine. If other groups want to teach sex education that includes birth control and condoms, that's fine. I don't see the Catholic Church holding a gun to anyone's head and banning them from doing so.

    What the Church does do in Africa is it spends vast amounts of resources caring for people who are in a bad way while maintaining its own principles. Anyone who has a problem with them doing good work in any way they can is just being a retarded idealogue who cares more about bashing the good samaritan than he or she does about the people in need.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Pope in Africa says church must help the poor

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Exactly and that's what I was mocking because of the topic at hand. I love Monty Python too.
    Not everyone "gets it." Very many think that is what the Church teaches.

    In fact--if there were any way to prove it, I'd be willing to wager only a few people on these threads have a clue as to why the Church is against artificial BC--and the rest don't care. They are happy to keep flailing at the straw man because the point is to bash and have fun doing it rather than to actually LEARN something and have a more open mind to the different ways people view the world.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •