Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

  1. #21
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    But Turkey is big. If placed on the bosphorus, the shield would be more then affective enough, when considering the distance between iran and turkey up to the bosphorus.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #22
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    But Turkey is big. If placed on the bosphorus, the shield would be more then affective enough, when considering the distance between iran and turkey up to the bosphorus.
    You didnt asnwr my questions, which leads me to the conclusion you do not know how the system works.

    Not knowing how the system works precludes you from having any idea whatsoever where the interceptors can be placed and the system remain effective.

  3. #23
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    You didnt asnwr my questions, which leads me to the conclusion you do not know how the system works.

    Not knowing how the system works precludes you from having any idea whatsoever where the interceptors can be placed and the system remain effective.
    Lol no goobieman, thats just you that has no clue.

    The midcourse phase of a ballistic missile trajectory allows the longest window of opportunity to intercept an incoming missile up to 20 minutes. This is the point where the missile has stopped thrusting so it follows a more predictable glide path. The midcourse interceptor and a variety of radars and other sensors have a longer time to track and engage the target compared to boost and terminal interceptors. Also, more than one interceptor could be launched to ensure a successful hit. Your point?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #24
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Lol no goobieman, thats just you that has no clue.
    He who has no clue is clearly evidenced by your mish-mash below.

    The midcourse phase of a ballistic missile trajectory allows the longest window of opportunity to intercept an incoming missile up to 20 minutes. This is the point where the missile has stopped thrusting so it follows a more predictable glide path. The midcourse interceptor and a variety of radars and other sensors have a longer time to track and engage the target compared to boost and terminal interceptors. Also, more than one interceptor could be launched to ensure a successful hit. Your point?
    What you fail to grasp here is that for maximum effectiveness, the incoming warheads shoudl be falling roughly towards the interceptors lauch site. Interception of a warhead falling away from the launch site increases the deflection angle, forcing a more complicated intercept solution, and limiting the window for an effective intercept. This is why the US NMD is based in AK as well as CA.

    So... your assessment of Turkey as an equally effective GBI site is wrong, as Turkey is about the half-way point on a ballistic trip for Iran to Europe.

    Consider, too, that if you -were- right, and a interceptor base in Turkey -would- be as effecive as one in Poland/Czech Republic, then said site would be effective against Russian ICBMs as well.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 03-18-09 at 12:11 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    But you dont know exactly WHERE the lauch sites in Iran will be placed Goobieman, so you cant really say that.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #26
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    But you dont know exactly WHERE the lauch sites in Iran will be placed Goobieman, so you cant really say that.
    the exact location, in this instance, makes no real difference. At BEST, Turkey is just past mid-point.

    And, I notice you failed to address this point:

    Consider, too, that if you -were- right, and a interceptor base in Turkey -would- be as effecive as one in Poland/Czech Republic, then said site would be effective against Russian ICBMs as well.

  7. #27
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    The Russians are not interested in bombing and destroying Europe, which alot of people fail to remember. They are no longer communists hell bent on spreading there ideals and making a communist Europe. Your missile defence shield does not concern them, its the fact that its in there sphere of influence, or at least the influence they wish to restablish, that concerns them. They dont want NATO influence anywhere near them, and that defence shield has everything to do with NATO. Thats what concerns them, not your interception toys and there ICBMS. Why do you think they are modernizing there army? In respone to an ever close US NATO.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #28
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The Russians are not interested in bombing and destroying Europe, which alot of people fail to remember.
    Seems to me that he Russians are squawking about the MDS because of its effect on their deterrent.

    Seems to me, I've been arguing that this is disingenuous, as the MDS HAS no effect on their deterrent, and that their REAL goal is to expand their influence as much as possible, using this as a ruse.

    And now, it seems to me that you agree.

    So, why do you continue to argue about the placement of the MDS (something you have little or no capacity to do) when you agree it has no real realtionship to what the Russians are really up to?

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Russia to rearm military as NATO expands: Medvedev

    This is what you get when a stupid republican decides to build a military defence shield conviently beside Russia to defuse an Iranian threat to the west that currently does not exist. Place it in Turkey or in Israel for god sakes. WHY the eastern bloc?
    You post an extremely relevant issue and concern and then make a statement that comes to the completely wrong conclusion.

    This has NOTHING to do with a missile defense shield; this is about Putin wanting to rebuild the Soviet Union and divert his nationís citizens from the pathetic leadership he has provided for the last decade.

    Tell me something in all candor; do you know that Nato's mission is all about?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Russia rebuilding military to neutralize Nato 'Threat'

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloDollyLlama View Post
    The "shield" provides about as much protection as a panty liner. It doesn't freakin work. And the Russians know this. Their repeated efforts to get in our faces are merely a pathetic attempt to persuade themselves that they are still a superpower. Their thinking is 30 years out of date.
    You get it in this part of your statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloDollyLlama View Post
    We should ignore this nonsense and avoid getting sucked backward in time -- otherwise, he next thing you know we'll be building a wooden stockade around Washington to keep the Apaches out.
    But then in this part is you do not get it. The world needs to be painfully aware that Putin and Medved are attempting to drag the Russian nation back to the good old days of the Soviet Union where the leaders did not have to answer to the citizens and could live like kings over an empire built on fear and threats to their neighbors and the world.

    The nations Democracies cannot afford to ignore the efforts of Putin to re-create the Soviet Union and should implement policies that promote more Democracy not less.

    We ignore what happens in Russia at our own peril and the threat of a divided world where we live under the threat of a nuclear holocaust once again.

    Russia is going through some serious growing pains and Putin believes that if he can make NATO and America the great threat as was done in the past, he can divert attention from his own failed policies and perhaps guarantee his permanent control over a rebuilt Soviet Empire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •