Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 292

Thread: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for

  1. #81
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    When you go to war to go after the people that attacked you, to stop them from atacking you again, you're fighting a defensive war.

    Never mind that the entire offensive/defensive war argument is a red herring.
    Agreed it's a red herring - however that doesn't make your point valid.

    I just don't remember a declaration of war by Afghanistan on the US in the same way Japan did (dishonorably) after Pearl Harbour.

    To me, asymmetric war broke all the traditional rules which is why no traditional name tags fitted anymore (like offensive / defensive etc)

    OK - we'll stop beating the red herring.

  2. #82
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    11-07-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    117

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I'm curious about how vets costs are paid for now - do vets have private insurance now already or are their (military injury) costs paid for by the Govt?

    IF their costs are paid for by solely the Govt now then what is being discussed is a breach of the unwritten mandate to treat the war wounded on their return however if Private Insurance is already involved I can see the reason for going one way or the other.



    I'm afraid your personal experiences aren't backed by any of the major independent studies comparing quality vs costs of healthcare.
    True. But I was responding to a personal charge of hypocrisy and I don't know how to do that other than to give my personal experiences. lol

  3. #83
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Agreed it's a red herring - however that doesn't make your point valid
    I just don't remember a declaration of war by Afghanistan on the US...
    False premise.
    There doesnt have to be a DoW in order for the war in Afghanistan (or anywhere else) to be defensive.

    OK - we'll stop beating the red herring.
    OK

  4. #84
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    False premise
    We need a separate thread to "discuss" this.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    But that's not what I read from the article posted in the OP, which states:



    Thus, it looks like VA would seek reimbursement from the private insurance carrier--not the veteran. I think people are hypothesizing that somehow this will cause an increase in premiums for veterans.
    Two things. One of which I believe was pointed out.

    1. Increase in overall premiums by the carrier, because they are paying out for more claims and assuming more risk. Thats just how insurance works.

    2. If a veteran has not met either his/her deductible or out of pocket maximums for their private insurance plan, they will have to pay out of pocket for treatment of injuries sustained while in service, which is a cost they normally do not have to incur. So, if for example, a friend of mine who ruptured disk in his back while in service, was normally healthy through the rest of the year but was using the VA hospital system for his back problem, under Obama's plan it would seem that my friend would now have to pay for the services that the VA provides, via his deductible/co-pay/out of pocket maximum that he has with his private insurer.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  6. #86
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    True. But I was responding to a personal charge of hypocrisy and I don't know how to do that other than to give my personal experiences. lol

    Thank you for explaining, however you do understand from another perspective (a non US perspective) where the words "National Health" has no political meaning as in the way the Americans have when healthcare is discussed. And yes, you are tight to defend yourself from a charge of hypocrisy if levelled against you.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I don't know what the other thread is but I can comment on this here.

    FWIW:
    My family is military and conservative and against socialized health care. I don't think we're being hypocrites.
    You're not. The left doesn't understand that they're the biggest hypocrites around. The government providing care to the wounded and disabled it sent into battle is merely the contractual obligations it assumed when it enlisted those men. Nothing socialist about it, unless you're discussing the basic inadequacies and inefficiencies of government run health care.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Set aside all the partisan bickering and questions about socialized medicine v. the free market.

    We can all agree that the military budget is more bloated than it should be, but if you're trying to cut $540m out of a $800b budget, does health care for wounded soldiers sound like the best place to start?
    It does if you're a Democrat with a lifetime disdain for the military that protected your freedom to say the most ignorant and stupidest things imaginable.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Yes. See my post above. How does this equate to a finding that the veteran will be billed?
    Where does it say the veteran will be re-imbursed?

  10. #90
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    We need a separate thread to "discuss" this.
    That might be fun.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •