Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 292

Thread: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for

  1. #11
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh yeah just toss the "free market" out, LOL
    There is something bigger here at stake. The countries honor bound commitment to the men and women that put their asses on the line to keep people like you safe.

    If the country sends you into battle, and you are wounded, the country is honor bound to provide to you for YOUR sacrifice. That principle is far and above petty political pandering. Sadly, you have no concept of this reality, no appreciation for it.

    Instead of realizing the issue at stake isn't about "free market" or as you put it "so called conservatives" you show you have no concept of what drives conservatives. You're pathetic.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #12
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    11-07-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    117

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    If the legislations is on a go-forward basis, and does not include those already enlisted (and thus legally binded to what the original contract said they'd be entitled to), then I see no foul play. If you volunteer for the military, you are volunteering to potentially die. You know the risks.

    Practically all of the recent American wars have been offensive and not defensive. The soldiers aren't protecting anything that justifies dishing out billions to their health care. Also, how many people enlist in the military just to get those benefits? The same goes for their education.

    The military shouldn't be a free ride when everyone else has to pay out of pocket. And frankly, in these economic times, the military should not get half a trillion dollars in budget per year. I applaud Obama for seeking cut backs.


    A "free" ride? Our soldiers aren't "protecting anything"?
    Incredible...
    Yes, soldiers know the risks. They also know what they've been promised in exchange for taking those risks.

    So - when Saddam had his men shooting at our planes over the no-fly zone, do you think our response was offensive? I wonder what it would take for it to be considered defensive in your world

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh yeah just toss the "free market" out, LOL
    The free market was at play when the government made certain benefits available as an incentive to those who served it rather than simply drafting its members. Now the government has an obligation as an honest employer to follow through on those benefits.

    The free market isn't even a question here. Nice try though.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    There is something bigger here at stake. The countries honor bound commitment to the men and women that put their asses on the line to keep people like you safe.

    If the country sends you into battle, and you are wounded, the country is honor bound to provide to you for YOUR sacrifice. That principle is far and above petty political pandering. Sadly, you have no concept of this reality, no appreciation for it.

    Instead of realizing the issue at stake isn't about "free market" or as you put it "so called conservatives" you show you have no concept of what drives conservatives. You're pathetic.

    I don't think you understand. As much as I disagree with Bush's invasion of Iraq I think every soldier their injured in war should have health care.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    If the legislations is on a go-forward basis, and does not include those already enlisted (and thus legally binded to what the original contract said they'd be entitled to), then I see no foul play. If you volunteer for the military, you are volunteering to potentially die. You know the risks.

    Practically all of the recent American wars have been offensive and not defensive. The soldiers aren't protecting anything that justifies dishing out billions to their health care. Also, how many people enlist in the military just to get those benefits? The same goes for their education.

    The military shouldn't be a free ride when everyone else has to pay out of pocket. And frankly, in these economic times, the military should not get half a trillion dollars in budget per year. I applaud Obama for seeking cut backs.

    Do people really think this way without starting out as FAS babies?

  6. #16
    Advisor don'ttreadonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 01:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    340

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    If the legislations is on a go-forward basis, and does not include those already enlisted (and thus legally binded to what the original contract said they'd be entitled to), then I see no foul play. If you volunteer for the military, you are volunteering to potentially die. You know the risks.

    Practically all of the recent American wars have been offensive and not defensive. The soldiers aren't protecting anything that justifies dishing out billions to their health care. Also, how many people enlist in the military just to get those benefits? The same goes for their education.

    The military shouldn't be a free ride when everyone else has to pay out of pocket. And frankly, in these economic times, the military should not get half a trillion dollars in budget per year. I applaud Obama for seeking cut backs.

    Eh...another "moderate" with a horribly leftist view of the world. What else is new?

    Makes me sick men and women are putting their lives on the line to defend your right to post such distorted, pathetic drivel.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    The U.S. is the only developed nation that has socialized health care for its soldiers but not for its own people. Until all tax payers get the equal treatment, I am not in favour of tax payer funded health care for soldiers. Soldiers get all the benefits in order to create incentives for more people to join - it's a recruiting tool.

    Conservatives in favour of socialized health care for soldiers yet accusing Obama of being a socialist for creating the same policy for everyone is laughably ironic.

    I also see the ad homs being dishes out but with no real arguments. Shows that none of you have a leg to stand on.

  8. #18
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Moderator's Warning:
    The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes forLet's keep the thread civil, please.

  9. #19
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    11-07-12 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    117

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Until all tax payers get the equal treatment, I am not in favour of tax payer funded health care for soldiers.
    Ugh. Are you sure you really want equal treatment with soldiers? Complete with loss-of-freedom AWOL rules and everything. No cherry-picking.

    Perhaps they're against socialized health care because they're familiar with it? It's not that great in many cases. Recently there was that overhaul of some of the military hospitals because the care was SO abysmal. That's the government for you!

    Regardless, it is their benefit and it was promised to them. It is the very least they deserve. You keep going off-topic, other than to "applaud" Obama for screwing over wounded veterans. This thread isn't about civilians.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Ugh. Are you sure you really want equal treatment with soldiers? Complete with loss-of-freedom AWOL rules and everything. No cherry-picking.

    Perhaps they're against socialized health care because they're familiar with it? It's not that great in many cases. Recently there was that overhaul of some of the military hospitals because the care was SO abysmal. That's the government for you!

    Regardless, it is their benefit and it was promised to them. It is the very least they deserve. You keep going off-topic, other than to "applaud" Obama for screwing over wounded veterans. This thread isn't about civilians.
    It's you who are cherry picking by bringing up things I never even mentioned, assuming they are my position (when they aren't at all), and then saying I'm off topic. What a brilliant feat of logic.

    All I said, and I still believe, is that if the military gets socialized health care, then so should the American people. I never said anything about treating civilians as military personnel, that was your irrelevant diatribe. Tax payers pay for the military to get health care, and not just the ones in combat. Those even doing a peaceful tour get covered.

    Every other developed nation covers everyone, civilian and military alike. I disagree with military getting special treatment. Sure they are defending society, but they are defending a society that is ill.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •