Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

  1. #11
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Whatever, they put Starbuck in a skirt, ruined the premise of the show, and made it a lamer space opera with political overtones. The politics of the show appeals to the UN... that's enough to keep me away.

    Boomer TOS > Boomer remade
    Cylons TOS > Cylons remade
    Starbuck TOS > Starbuck remade
    Adama TOS = Adama remade
    Galactica TOS >>>> Galactica remade.... seriously.
    TOS Sound Track >>>> Remake
    Boomer in the current series is FAR hotter than Boomer in TOS.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Moderated by Whoopi Goldberg.

    It is a really good show and the UN has always been a running joke so I don't see the issue.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Boomer in the current series is FAR hotter than Boomer in TOS.
    Did you know the actor that portrayed Boomer in TOS got an award for positive portrayal a black man (I think that was the award not feeling well) for his work?

    And cylons are the remnants of a lizard race.. not mans mistake "come back to haunt him".... one can only hope this discussion group comes back to haunt the UN for it's stupidity.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #14
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Did you know the actor that portrayed Boomer in TOS got an award for positive portrayal a black man (I think that was the award not feeling well) for his work?

    And cylons are the remnants of a lizard race.. not mans mistake "come back to haunt him".... one can only hope this discussion group comes back to haunt the UN for it's stupidity.
    I cannot believe that anyone could possibly take the UN seriously after this.

    Its no different than bringing in the writers, producers and actors from Twister to discuss "global climate change."

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Obviously neither of you have watched BSG. It's the world's #1 sci-fi show for a reason... it deals with relevant global issues. I have friends at several universities in North America, and all of them have professors writing papers about the show right now, one of them for their doctorate. My professor in Vancouver wrote a book about the social policy in the show.

    It's an incredibly rich epic and it makes sense that the way the issues are related in the show would make it into a governmental pannel. Seriously, watch the show.
    I watched on episode.

    Once.

    It sucked big time.

    So a major global issue we need to contend with is the cloning and reprogramming of humans by Frankenstein-monster robots?

    Has BSG (stands for Bull**** Galore, right?) ever discussed the problems of over-large national governments? How about gun-grabbing national governments? It ever discussing the crushing burden of taxation by national governments? What about the destruction of individual liberties by national governments pursuing socialist agendas?

    No? It's never covered those things? Then BSG doesn't cover the truly important problems in the world today. It's fantasy.

    Like I said, the show sucks.

    The showed sucked in the 70's.

    Read Saberhagen's Berserker stories, if you want to read something realistic. Start with Berserker: Blue Death.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Obviously neither of you have watched BSG. It's the world's #1 sci-fi show for a reason...
    Yes.

    They stopped production of Lost In Space.

  7. #17
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Whatever, they put Starbuck in a skirt, ruined the premise of the show, and made it a lamer space opera with political overtones. The politics of the show appeals to the UN... that's enough to keep me away.

    Boomer TOS > Boomer remade
    Cylons TOS > Cylons remade
    Starbuck TOS > Starbuck remade
    Adama TOS = Adama remade
    Galactica TOS >>>> Galactica remade.... seriously.
    TOS Sound Track >>>> Remake
    WTF? I've never seen Starbuck in a skirt... ?

    But now.... Tricia Helfer.... she makes the show worth watching all by herself. Holy **** is she hot. Regardless, the show rocks. I'm a recently made fan though as I've only started watching the 3rd season episodes now.

    Anywho... who cares what the UN is doing anyway? Is what they do relevent to... well... anything?

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    The sci fi channel approached the UN and asked if they could do it. Apparently 100 high school students will attend to partake in the discussion and it is part of the Creative Community Outreach Program. The UN also allowed Law and Order to film an episode of their show at the UN.

    Amidst all this silliness this is rather scary though:

    establish partnerships with the entertainment industry to tell the U.N.s story, said Juan Carlos Brandt, a spokesman.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/bu...tica.html?_r=1

  9. #19
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    WTF? I've never seen Starbuck in a skirt... ?

    But now.... Tricia Helfer.... she makes the show worth watching all by herself. Holy **** is she hot. Regardless, the show rocks. I'm a recently made fan though as I've only started watching the 3rd season episodes now.

    Anywho... who cares what the UN is doing anyway? Is what they do relevent to... well... anything?
    Starbuck shouldn't have ever been made into a split tail... seriously.


    The UN is doing what it always does, wastes money and gets easily duped people into liking it.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #20
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: A 'Battlestar Galactica' panel discussion at the United Nations

    I really don't see the problem with this. Yea, it's a little bit dorky, but the average person who participates in Model UN is dorky too, so why is it a surprise that whatever school is hosting this conference decided to play to that crowd.

    I mean, the article was obviously talking about a Model UN conference, right?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •