Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

  1. #21
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    clearly, there is a lot of blame that can be passed around here.

    we can blame the blocks on needle exchange programs
    we can blame poor sex education
    we can blame people for being promiscuous (however you happen do define that)
    we can blame people for not getting tested
    we can blame people for using drugs

    we've been blaming people for the past 25 years, and it doesn't work.

    until, as a society, we're able to talk openly about sex, drugs, and the social barriers that prevent people from protecting themselves, this epidemic is not going away.
    As the post above points out, the ability to "talk openly" will not do anything. There are no "social barriers" preventing people from protecting themselves.

    Condoms are free.
    HIV testing is free.
    The ability to avoid risky situations is free.

    Rather than worrying about the entire population talking, why don't the populations that are most likely to be affected take responsibility for doing something about it?

    edit: What "silence"? I don't know of anyone who doesn't know what AIDS is and who doesn't know exactly how you get it. "Silence" is not the problem.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 03-16-09 at 11:31 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #22
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-11-13 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC
    There are no "social barriers" preventing people from protecting themselves.
    fear that their partner will accuse them of being unfaithful or promiscuous prevent people from using condoms.

    fear of stigma and discrimination prevent people from getting tested.

    discrimination against people with HIV, homophobia, and ridged gender roles are real problems. no HIV prevention efforts would be complete without addressing these issues.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    obviously talk alone wont solve the problem. my point is that silence doesn't stop it, it merely pushes it underground and exacerbates the problem.
    Is there really anyone left in society that doesn't know that sharing needles or unprotected gay sex carries the risk of contracting HIV?

    You could throw the entire $1 trillion stimulus package at this problem, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    fear that their partner will accuse them of being unfaithful or promiscuous prevent people from using condoms.

    fear of stigma and discrimination prevent people from getting tested.

    discrimination against people with HIV, homophobia, and ridged gender roles are real problems. no HIV prevention efforts would be complete without addressing these issues.
    Why would you be fearful of getting tested? Medical records are confidential. I went to get tested once; can't say I was concerned with being discriminated against. I was mostly concerned about telling the cute girl at the insurance desk why I was there.

    "So, what do you need to see the doctor for?"

    "Uhhhhh...ST*cough*D test."

    "Pardon? I couldn't understand you."

    "...std test."

  5. #25
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    fear that their partner will accuse them of being unfaithful or promiscuous prevent people from using condoms.
    Ridiculous. People are more worried about their partner thinking they're being unfaithful than they are of every other STD out there, not to mention pregnancy? And even were that a valid concern, if neither partner is being unfaithful, then it's unlikely that there's a problem.

    fear of stigma and discrimination prevent people from getting tested.
    Like Ethereal pointed out, how is anyone scared of this? I've gotten STD tests at city clinics a handful of times and was never concerned about anyone finding anything out. It's all confidential and can be done anonymously.

    discrimination against people with HIV, homophobia, and ridged gender roles are real problems.
    How are "rigid gender roles" a problem that causes the spread of HIV?

    no HIV prevention efforts would be complete without addressing these issues.
    This may be true, but it doesn't mean that addressing them will solve the problem or even do much of anything. Far more important, IMO, is for the affected communities to be spearheading the charge. Go to an AIDS awareness event in NYC and look at the crowd. It's 85% white, upper-middle class, heterosexual, college-educated females. Is this really the group that should be most involved in the issue?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It's not quite as egalitarian of a disease as you imply. Among heterosexuals who do not engage in homosexual encounters on the side (or have sex with those who do) and who do not share needles, HIV is incredibly rare. It's astoundingly difficult to get HIV from traditional heterosexual sex. The odds that a man having unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV+ female will get infected is 0.05%. That's nearly infinitesimal. For a female involved in unprotected vaginal sex with a man with HIV, the odds only increase to 0.1%. The two main non-childbirth/non-blood transfusion ways that HIV is transmitted are through:

    1) Unprotected receptive anal intercourse (0.5%), and
    2) IV Drug Needle sharing (0.67%)

    For people who are circumcised, the rate is further cut in half. For those that use condoms, it drops another 85%.

    Simply put, if you're a circumcised heterosexual who uses condoms and only has intercourse with women who don't have sex with bisexual men or use IV drugs, you really don't need to worry about HIV.
    First, your claim that it's astoundingly difficult for heterosexual sex to result in HIV is rather audacious. If two people have unprotected sex and one is infected, the risk is high. After gay men, heterosexual black women have the highest HIV/AIDS rate. (I'm not trying to bring race into this, just offset your argument about "low risk" to heterosexuals.)

    Second, it is well known among the health community that gays have a statistically higher infection rate because, unlike their heterosexual counterparts, they get tested more often, and more infected gays are aware of their status than infected heterosexuals. So, statistically, you are correct. This is where statistics do not tell the whole truth.

    Everyone should worry about HIV and STDs in general. HIV is not the only uncurable STD either.

    And finally... please post sources to the stats you posted so I can verify where you are getting your information. Thanks.

  7. #27
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Second, it is well known among the health community that gays have a statistically higher infection rate because, unlike their heterosexual counterparts, they get tested more often, and more infected gays are aware of their status than infected heterosexuals. So, statistically, you are correct. This is where statistics do not tell the whole truth.
    Damn. I'm a gay man. And I have to say this is utter nonsense. Gays have a higher infection rate because they get tested more often?

    We all know why gay men are at higher risk.


  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Damn. I'm a gay man. And I have to say this is utter nonsense. Gays have a higher infection rate because they get tested more often?

    We all know why gay men are at higher risk.

    The funny thing is that gay men are probably the most inundated with education about HIV than any other group, too.

    I think the greatest risk to gay men when it comes to HIV infection is the behaviors of other gay men.

  9. #29
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    When it hits 10%, can we just quarantine the whole damn city? Probably the best excuse we're ever going to get.

  10. #30
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: HIV/AIDS Rate in D.C. Hits 3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    First, your claim that it's astoundingly difficult for heterosexual sex to result in HIV is rather audacious. If two people have unprotected sex and one is infected, the risk is high.
    No, it's not. Assuming standard vaginal intercourse, the risk for a man is 1 in 2000 and the risk for a woman is 1 in 1000.

    HIV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    After gay men, heterosexual black women have the highest HIV/AIDS rate. (I'm not trying to bring race into this, just offset your argument about "low risk" to heterosexuals.)
    Because heterosexual black women tend to have sex with black men who tend to have more unsafe sexual encounters on the downlow with other men while not using protection.

    Second, it is well known among the health community that gays have a statistically higher infection rate because, unlike their heterosexual counterparts, they get tested more often, and more infected gays are aware of their status than infected heterosexuals. So, statistically, you are correct. This is where statistics do not tell the whole truth.
    I don't discount the theory that selection bias could lead to some skewing of the numbers, but I've never seen any evidence for it, nor have I seen anything that purports to claim that it's anywhere near being entirely responsible for the disparity, as you seem to imply.

    Everyone should worry about HIV and STDs in general. HIV is not the only uncurable STD either.
    I don't disagree at all that people should worry about STD's in general. What I think is counter-productive is when people freak out like crazy about HIV, but are completely oblivious to things like the Hep or the Herp. Hence my earlier statement that HIV is overhyped.

    And finally... please post sources to the stats you posted so I can verify where you are getting your information. Thanks.
    Per the above link, the infection rate stats come from:

    # Smith DK, Grohskopf LA, Black RJ, et al (2005). "Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States". MMWR 54 (RR02): 1–20. Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States </P><P>Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

    # ^ Donegan E, Stuart M, Niland JC, et al (1990). "Infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) among recipients of antibody-positive blood donations". Ann. Intern. Med. 113 (10): 733–739. PMID 2240875.

    # ^ a b c Coovadia H (2004). "Antiretroviral agents—how best to protect infants from HIV and save their mothers from AIDS". N. Engl. J. Med. 351 (3): 289–292. PMID 15247337.

    # ^ Kaplan EH, Heimer R (1995). "HIV incidence among New Haven needle exchange participants: updated estimates from syringe tracking and testing data". J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. Hum. Retrovirol. 10 (2): 175–176. PMID 7552482.

    # ^ Bell DM (1997). "Occupational risk of human immunodeficiency virus infection in healthcare workers: an overview.". Am. J. Med. 102 (5B): 9–15. PMID 9845490.

    # ^ a b c d European Study Group on Heterosexual Transmission of HIV (1992). "Comparison of female to male and male to female transmission of HIV in 563 stable couples". BMJ. 304 (6830): 809–813. PMID 1392708.

    # ^ a b c d e f Varghese B, Maher JE, Peterman TA, Branson BM,Steketee RW (2002). "Reducing the risk of sexual HIV transmission: quantifying the per-act risk for HIV on the basis of choice of partner, sex act, and condom use". Sex. Transm. Dis. 29 (1): 38–43. PMID 11773877.

    # ^ Leynaert B, Downs AM, de Vincenzi I (1998). "Heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus: variability of infectivity throughout the course of infection. European Study Group on Heterosexual Transmission of HIV". Am. J. Epidemiol. 148 (1): 88–96. PMID 9663408
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •