Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Ammiano may be right. A few days after he introduced the bill, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced that states should be able to make their own rules on medical marijuana and that federal raids on pot dispensaries in California would cease. The move signaled a softening of the hard-line approach previous administrations have had to medicinal pot use. The nomination of Gil Kerlikowske as the head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy may also signal a softer federal line on marijuana. If he is confirmed as the so-called Drug Czar, Kerlikowske will bring with him experience as police chief of Seattle, where he made it clear that going after people for posessing marijuana was not a priority of his force.

    California was one of the first states in the nation to legalize medical marijuana in 1996. Currently, $200 million in medical marijuana sales are subject to sales tax. If passed, the Marijuana Control, Regulation and Education Act (AB 390) would give California control of pot in a manner similar to alcohol, while prohibiting its purchase to citizens under age 21. (The bill has been referred to the California State Assembly's Public Safety and Health Committees; Ammiano says it could take up to a year before it comes to a vote for passage.) State revenues would be derived from a $50 per ounce levy on retail sales of marijuana and sales taxes. By adopting the law, California could become a model for other states. As Ammiano put it: "How California goes, the country goes."
    Damn it. Happiness. Heart attack. California. Damn. It.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Yeah by creating a state of unmotivated buffoons. That sure would help the california economy.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Yeah by creating a state of unmotivated buffoons. That sure would help the california economy.
    Do you drink at work? If you don't then your opinion, position and whatever argument you tried to make is automatically destroyed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #4
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you drink at work? If you don't then your opinion, position and whatever argument you tried to make is automatically destroyed.




    I don't. And your If-then statement makes little actual sense. How is it destroyed, and by what means?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I don't. And your If-then statement makes little actual sense. How is it destroyed, and by what means?
    Well then there is no reason for me to assume that you drink anywhere other then in a social environment and that it has any effect in your performance in life. Your argument assumes that most people who smoke weed are lazy and have no drive in life. This isn't supported by any kind of statistic on actual smokers. Just what the effects of marijuana can be. Just your opinion. End game? Thanks for playing.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    go for it California!!!
    But, restrictions to legally buy it or smoke it is to be over 21, gainfully employed, and not on welfare or food stamps.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #7
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well then there is no reason for me to assume that you drink anywhere other then in a social environment and that it has any effect in your performance in life. Your argument assumes that most people who smoke weed are lazy and have no drive in life. This isn't supported by any kind of statistic on actual smokers. Just what the effects of marijuana can be. Just your opinion. End game? Thanks for playing.



    I find most people I come across that smoke weed daily, are usually about weed. As if it is there life. They weed before things like career, family, safety of there children, there own personal saftety, or anything of the like.

    It no longer becomes about what ever activity they are doing, but more about how they can get high while doing whatever thing it is they are doing.

    I find people like this limited in life and I pity them.


    I have no respect for buffoons like this. Sure there are people who use marijuana responsibly, but just like the alcoholic, the chronic weed smoker is not the type of person I would hire, trust, or consider a value to society.



    The idiocy, that making weed available could be the sole savior of the California economy is stupid. Nothing but the rantings of a weed first buffoon.


    Oh and if weed is truly a medicine, it is immoral for California to tax it. Unless the whole thing is a sham.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Yeah by creating a state of unmotivated buffoons. That sure would help the california economy.
    Socialism's already done that.

  9. #9
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I find most people I come across that smoke weed daily, are usually about weed. As if it is there life. They weed before things like career, family, safety of there children, there own personal saftety, or anything of the like.
    And how is this different from alcoholics?

    It no longer becomes about what ever activity they are doing, but more about how they can get high while doing whatever thing it is they are doing.
    You are in favor of banning a substance because some people are irresponsible?

    I have no respect for buffoons like this. Sure there are people who use marijuana responsibly, but just like the alcoholic, the chronic weed smoker is not the type of person I would hire, trust, or consider a value to society.
    But you would hire the "chronic alcoholic"?

    The idiocy, that making weed available could be the sole savior of the California economy is stupid. Nothing but the rantings of a weed first buffoon.
    There is going to be no "sole savior" that is ridiculous, but to ignore the benefits is to be ignorant. It costs much more money to throw a dealer in jail.
    Oh and if weed is truly a medicine, it is immoral for California to tax it. Unless the whole thing is a sham.
    Medicine's are not taxed?
    This is no longer an issue of morality, it is an issue of the Government telling people what unharmful substance they cannot use.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  10. #10
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    And how is this different from alcoholics?
    There is no difference between a drunk who drinks everyday and some loser who smokes weed everyday as a life crutch.

    You are in favor of banning a substance because some people are irresponsible?

    Nope. I am for the legalization.


    But you would hire the "chronic alcoholic"?
    Absolutley not.



    There is going to be no "sole savior" that is ridiculous, but to ignore the benefits is to be ignorant. It costs much more money to throw a dealer in jail.
    Read the op. I am laughing at the notion that weed will save the california economy.




    Medicine's are not taxed?
    Not in California.

    "Also excluded are food animals (livestock), food plants and seeds, fertilizer used to grow food, prescription drugs and certain medical supplies"

    Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This is no longer an issue of morality, it is an issue of the Government telling people what unharmful substance they cannot use.

    Since perscriptions are not taxed in california, how will weed help the calif economy at all. This thread is fail
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •