Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #571
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    it is absurd you can not grasp the concept of an analogy and what it is actually analogous to when it is used.

    let me walk you through step by step here this

    The california budget is losing money.. analogous to blood.

    you put more money (blood) into the coffers (body)

    You have breathing room to figure out the cause of the bleeding (loss of money) and do something about it.

    it is absurd that you abstracted my analogy was encompassing politicians pandering for votes, and their spending habits -although it can be incorporated into it- this is the cause of the bleeding, something the infusion will enable them to focus on, and hopefully quell.

    It is also equally absurd that supposition on what may or may not happen is a valid argument why it will not save the economy. The question is what can be done now to help, and whether taxation of marijuana can help the situation faced currently. What politicians may or may not do in the future with the revenues is moot. If they cut themselves again, then it is completely their fault that they bleed to death, at least an attempt was made to stop the bleeding from the current wound.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-26-09 at 07:31 PM.

  2. #572
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    it is absurd you can not grasp the concept of an analogy and what it is actually analogous to when it is used.

    let me walk you through step by step here this

    The california budget is losing money.. analogous to blood.

    you put more money (blood) into the coffers (body)

    You have breathing room to figure out the cause of the bleeding (loss of money) and do something about it.

    it is absurd that you abstracted my analogy was encompassing politicians pandering for votes, and their spending habits -although it can be incorporated into it- this is the cause of the bleeding, something the infusion will enable them to focus on, and hopefully quell.

    It is also equally absurd that supposition on what may or may not happen is a valid argument why it will not save the economy. The question is what can be done now to help, and whether taxation of marijuana can help the situation faced currently. What politicians may or may not do in the future with the revenues is moot. If they cut themselves again, then it is completely their fault that they bleed to death, at least an attempt was made to stop the bleeding from the current wound.
    You still don't get it; let me make it simpler for you. You seem to think that everything the Government or State spends money on is the absolute necessities (like blood in a body); I assure you that you are WRONG in that assertion.

    IT'S NOT ABOUT REVENUE, ITíS ABOUT SPENDING.

    If they will stop the SPENDNG, they wonít have a REVENUE problem.

    Carry on.

  3. #573
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You still don't get it; let me make it simpler for you. You seem to think that everything the Government or State spends money on is the absolute necessities (like blood in a body); I assure you that you are WRONG in that assertion.

    IT'S NOT ABOUT REVENUE, ITíS ABOUT SPENDING.

    If they will stop the SPENDNG, they wonít have a REVENUE problem.

    Carry on.
    You STILL don't get that I am NOT arguing that point.

    If they CUT the spending, it will HELP the revenue problem (them stopping spending is unrealistic)

    If they bring in more money, it will HELP the revenue problem

    IF they do BOTH it will HELP the problem even more.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-26-09 at 08:20 PM.

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    If they bring in more money, it will HELP the revenue problem

    IF they do BOTH it will HELP the problem even more.
    No it wonít; because the politicians in California, like the ones now in charge in Washington, will keep spending more than they take in. That's the point!

    I give up.

  5. #575
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    No it wonít; because the politicians in California, like the ones now in charge in Washington, will keep spending more than they take in. That's the point!

    I give up.
    As you should. It was a valiant effort.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #576
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    it is absurd you can not grasp the concept of an analogy and what it is actually analogous to when it is used.

    let me walk you through step by step here this

    The california budget is losing money.. analogous to blood.

    you put more money (blood) into the coffers (body)

    You have breathing room to figure out the cause of the bleeding (loss of money) and do something about it.
    Lets take your scenario.

    The man takes a grevious injury and is spurting blood and it seems every few minutes even more blood starts pouring out.

    Now, yes, you need to get more blood into the body.

    However JUST getting blood into the body is not going to "rescue" the body, because it will just bleed it all back out again. All it is doing is prolonging the issue.

    Thus why some are arguing that Pot isn't going to magically "rescue" California's economy all on its own.

    Now lets keep going to further explain peoples rational.

    So you do the blood transfusion, new blood is in the body but its still coming out at a bad clip.

    Now, the next step, is STOPPING the bleeding (well, that should've came before the transfusion if possible). But lets say the doctors there, for whatever reason, simply don't have the medical knowledge to actually figure out how to successfully stop the bleeding.

    This is the issue of some other posters in here. Essentially, that the politicians in California do not have, in this case the will, to do the massive spending cuts that would need to be done simultaneously to stop the bleeding.

    Finally, in your analogy, our patient is STILL not out of the woods because we haven't addressed the underlining illness that has caused him to bleed from all over his body. If he goes untreated he may be well for a while but soon enough he's going to start bleeding again.

    In this case, people talking about this in this thread that say that Marijuana alone isn't going to Rescue California's economy basically is of the belief that the politicians and the laws in Cali make it so that the root causes that made this happen stay in place.

    So to "save" this person that is having blood flow out of them is to not only give them a transfusion, but to close the wound, and then solve the underlining issue. If all of those things aren't done, then its setting the person up for death again...it just depends if its soon or a little later.

    So what they're saying is the transfusion alone, Marijuana and Hemp alone, is not going to "Rescue" anything unless some significant changes happens at a law and governmental level...which they appear to believe won't be the case.

  7. #577
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Why is the word "help" so hard to understand, or ignored in these arguments. I am not denying there is an underlying spending problem. Of course marijauana is not going to be the magic panacea for all that ails Ca.

    The OP, the article it is based on, and the argument is "Can marijuana help rescue California's economy".

    The argument has morphed from "Can it help" to "Will it be the magical salvation." Different arguments entirely, and not consistent or honest with the thread, the article, or the OP.

  8. #578
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    I agree, it could help rescue California's economy.

    But I can see people who believe that NOTHING will truly HELP California's economy until they fix the underlining issues with those economy.

    In your blood transfusion example, you're not really "helping" a guy in any reality if giving him a transfusion just extends his agonizing blood spewing life an extra minute.

    I don't agree completely with the people who think this way, but I fully understand their view that marijuana or anything else is not going to help the economy in any way in California till there are steps taken to actually make the foundation of california work.

  9. #579
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    but I fully understand their view that marijuana or anything else is not going to help the economy in any way in California till there are steps taken to actually make the foundation of california work.
    As do I, but that is a different argument.

    The transfusion buys you time and eases pressure, albeit briefly, to address the underlying problem, if the patient were to bleed out and die otherwise prior to being able to staunch the bleeding, then that transfusion indeed does help.

    There also will be blood remaining in the I.V. bag afterward to replenish the badly needed stores of blood to help the patient to recuperate a bit quicker.

  10. #580
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    That's the thing...

    The people saying it won't help simply because of how California opperates are essentially saying that there's no one there with the knowledge of medicine needed to address the underlying problem or to even administer the blood transfusion properly.

    Its only a "help" if you believe that it can possibly lead to something better. If you don't have any faith that the California politicians can fix the core issues, then the "help" it would possibly give is nil.

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •