Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #561
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I don't believe it's necessary for me to make a case 'against' legalization in order to participate in this discussion. If it is, then I'll gladly bow out of the thread.
    I'm not saying "bow out", I'm saying that to me it appears your agenda despite you trying to dance around it is pretty evident and the tactics you're using throughout this thread are rather see through and useless.

    It's not clear to me, for instance, whether legalizing marijuana would result in an increase or decrease in usage.
    There are varying opinions on it. I've still asked you to provide links to people in this thread stating it would decrease across the board and not just speaking of juvenille's. That said, in a general sense, what does it matter if it increases or decreases its usage in regards to whether or not it should be legalized?

    If it is increased do you think that is a reason for legalizing it, not legalizing it, or doesn't matter? Same for decreased.

    It's not clear whether California will be a destination for drug 'tourism' and how that will be handled. (Clearly, my state won't be legalizing it anytime soon.)
    Again, varying opinions on it. So what? Do you believe that it becoming a destination for drug tourism is a reason against legalizing it? If so, why? If not, why does it matter?

    It's not clear to what extent legalization of marijuana would reduce our overall drug enforcement expenditures... either in California or in the U.S. as a whole.
    In general it seems that the general consensus is that it would at least reduce it some, how much varies however in opinion. That said, again, if it doesn't change the overall drug enforcement expenditures in any largely substantial way is that a reason you feel it shouldn't be legalized? If not, what does it matter?

    It's not clear whether advocates of this bill would also support legalization of 'hard' drugs. One of the main arguments favoring marijuana legalization is that it's relatively harmless. But then a number of posters have suggested ALL drugs should be legalized. So who's distorting the issues?
    You, for equating the argument that marijuana should be legalized to those saying all drugs should be legalized.

    If I say shop lifters should be the only theives prosecuted and someone else says "no, ALL thieves big and small should be prosecuted", are you going to say that we should prosecute no one simply because we don't agree on how far to take it or would you say lets start prosecuting shop lifters and then see where the discussion goes from there?

    Some people arguing that all drugs should be legalized does not directly pertain to the discussion that marijuana should be legalized.

    But so what? Are you saying that if people that support the legalization of Marijuana ALSO support the legalization of all drugs then that is a reason for not legalizing it? If so, why? If not, what does this matter?

    Is this thread to be limited to a discussion of marijuana only or the War on Drugs in general?
    It seems primarily focused on Marijuana. It touches on the War on Drugs in so far as Marijuana is a part of it, but its primary focus is Weed.

    I know that Californians will be asking these kind of tough questions. So if these questions are seen as 'distorting the issue,' then they face a tough battle ahead.
    Yes, I'm sure you're right. Californians will be asking these questions. Why? Because, like you, they can't actually come up with a legitimate reason why it SHOULD be illegal, so instead they have to try and create confusion and dissention and distortion in the various reasons and stances as to why people think it should be legalized. They, like you, don't have an argument against legalizing it so you instead simply try to screw with the plethora of actual legitimate arguments for the legalization.

  2. #562
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Massachusetts has introduced legislation similar to Ca's AB 390 (taxing and regulating Cannabis) to both their house and senate:

    http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/hous...02/ht02929.htm

    http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/sena...01/st01801.htm

    This issue is not going to go away and is picking up even more steam now.

  3. #563
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I've asked what I believe to be reasonable questions. Some have been answered, others not.
    Well I'll give you my opinion on these questions...

    It's not clear to me, for instance, whether legalizing marijuana would result in an increase or decrease in usage.
    I would imagine, and I can only guess using the information available, that marijuana usage would decrease. Simply take a look at Prohibition: Alcohol consumption increased in children, Cirrhosis of the liver became more prominent, suicide rates went up and alcohol-related arrests increased.

    Did Alcohol Prohibition Reduce Alcohol Consumption And Crime?

    It's not clear whether California will be a destination for drug 'tourism' and how that will be handled. (Clearly, my state won't be legalizing it anytime soon.)
    We don't know if it will become a destination for drug tourism. We would have to legalize it before we had a sure answer. Even if it did, where is the harm? How are a bunch of Scandinavian or European stoners going to cause problems if they show up in Los Angeles to get high?

    It's not clear to what extent legalization of marijuana would reduce our overall drug enforcement expenditures... either in California or in the U.S. as a whole.
    It is my understanding that the War on Drugs costs $20 billion a year. The problem is that drug usage has increased since the War on Drugs began. That means we're wasting $20 billion a year and accomplishing nothing.

    It's not clear whether advocates of this bill would also support legalization of 'hard' drugs. One of the main arguments favoring marijuana legalization is that it's relatively harmless. But then a number of posters have suggested ALL drugs should be legalized. So who's distorting the issues? Is this thread to be limited to a discussion of marijuana only or the War on Drugs in general?
    I am a proponent of the legalization of all drugs. If your argument is that they are not safe, ask your doctor how many thousands of people die each year from prescriptions.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #564
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    As I stated in a previous post. Legalizing marijuana will generate revenue, but it won't rescue California's economy.
    Together with industrial Hemp, yes it could. We seem to be unable to separate the two so "pot" will have to be legal before we grow hemp.

  5. #565
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Together with industrial Hemp, yes it could. We seem to be unable to separate the two so "pot" will have to be legal before we grow hemp.
    I'll help you out here.

    Stop.

    Read.

    Stop.

    Think.

    Post.

    Go in that order.

    GH's reason for it not "rescue" single handedly the economy of California has nothing to do with Pot at all, but with his belief that the incompetent law makers in California and the flawed laws present that plunged them into this crisis in the first place would not suddenly vanish if Pot was legalized and as such likely it would just provide additional revenue to the state that would then be wasted in various beurcractic ways anyways, thus not "rescuing" it.

    His reasoning doesn't change at all I imagine when you take Hemp into account, because that still doesn't change the idiot politicians and laws that caused the whole issue in the first place being the ones that would be recieving the tax revenue from it.

  6. #566
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    I guess I'd like to see the drug gangs put out of business and provide for our economy instead.

  7. #567
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'll help you out here.

    Stop.

    Read.

    Stop.

    Think.

    Post.

    Go in that order.

    GH's reason for it not "rescue" single handedly the economy of California has nothing to do with Pot at all, but with his belief that the incompetent law makers in California and the flawed laws present that plunged them into this crisis in the first place would not suddenly vanish if Pot was legalized and as such likely it would just provide additional revenue to the state that would then be wasted in various beurcractic ways anyways, thus not "rescuing" it.

    His reasoning doesn't change at all I imagine when you take Hemp into account, because that still doesn't change the idiot politicians and laws that caused the whole issue in the first place being the ones that would be recieving the tax revenue from it.
    I won't be such a dick in my response... oops too late.

    California is mostly in trouble because they are collecting less taxes due in part to the economic. Changing the law on marijuana and hemp could cover those losses, thereby saving CA. Actually, we could save the country with the impressively long list of uses for this renewable plant.

  8. #568
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    I won't be such a dick in my response... oops too late.

    California is mostly in trouble because they are collecting less taxes due in part to the economic. Changing the law on marijuana and hemp could cover those losses, thereby saving CA. Actually, we could save the country with the impressively long list of uses for this renewable plant.
    You once more would be wrong with this assertion. California was in it's troubles long before the recent economic events and has been in this problem for decades NOT because of a LACK of revenue, revenues have increased by over 40% over the last five years, but because we have a boatload of ignorant Liberal Democrat politicians in Sacramento who spend the vast amounts of revenue that come into Sacramento faster than it comes in.

    It's not that WE have a revenue problem; it is a SPENDING problem which appears to be a common affliction with Liberals and Democrats.

    The notion that POT, or HEMP, or LOTTERIES, or Indian Gaming revenue will somehow stem the tide of red ink Liberal Politicians in California negligently spend requires the willing suspension of logic and reality.

    Read my lips; NO amount of revenue can stem the stupidity that currently infests Sacramento much like the current stupidity that infests the Federal Bureaucracy.

  9. #569
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    If you are bleeding to death can a transfusion help keep you alive??

    Yes, even if it is short term, at least it buys you more time to staunch the bleeding.

  10. #570
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    If you are bleeding to death can a transfusion help keep you alive??

    Yes, even if it is short term, at least it buys you more time to staunch the bleeding.
    It is an absurd analogy to suggest that someone bleeding to death is even remotely the same as Government politicians pandering for votes with irresponsible spending habits.

    A better analogy might be a person who willfully stabs themselves no matter how much you attempt to stop them and patch them up until they finally do bleed to death.

    Carry on.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •