Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #511
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I wouldn't conclude that at all. Before I would even think of applying any conclusion about the relative success or failure of law enforcement efforts in a specific region I would want to study their Uniform Criminal Reporting stats and take a look at how they trend from year to year. One of the problems plaguing the federal effort to track crime stats is inaccurate reporting or under reporting. UCR and NIBRS are very complex reporting processes and many agencies either lack the technology to do it properly or have the technology but fail to use it properly.
    These are the same statistics used to demonstrate that the U.S. has twice the rate of marijuana usage as do the Dutch. Are you telling me they're not reliable?

    Are you also telling me you're comfortable with the Dutch statistics and that they're not subject to errors in reporting?



  2. #512
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    These are the same statistics used to demonstrate that the U.S. has twice the rate of marijuana usage as do the Dutch. Are you telling me they're not reliable?

    Are you also telling me you're comfortable with the Dutch statistics and that they're not subject to errors in reporting?


    It really doesn't matter. I would like your opinion on the "War on Drugs", if that's not too much to ask.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #513
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    It really doesn't matter. I would like your opinion on the "War on Drugs", if that's not too much to ask.
    It's a horrible phrase. Drugs are a problem that needs to be managed. It's not a war than can ever be one or lost.

    The question under debate in this thread is whether it's more cost-effective and/or preferable to society to 'manage' drugs by emphasizing law enforcement or de-emphasizing law enforcement.

    There will never be any drug policy that does not involve law enforcement.

  4. #514
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    It's a horrible phrase. Drugs are a problem that needs to be managed. It's not a war than can ever be one or lost.
    I agree that it is not a war. I agree that it is a horrible phrase which needs to be purged. I disagree that drugs are a problem, that's purely subjective.

    The question under debate in this thread is whether it's more cost-effective and/or preferable to society to 'manage' drugs by emphasizing law enforcement or de-emphasizing law enforcement.
    It's more cost-effective, for the people and law enforcement alike, if there were no drug laws. That way, non-violent drug offenders can have their lives back and we can stop this ridiculous charade.

    There will never be any drug policy that does not involve law enforcement.
    I hope you are wrong.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #515
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    It's a horrible phrase. Drugs are a problem that needs to be managed. It's not a war than can ever be one or lost.

    The question under debate in this thread is whether it's more cost-effective and/or preferable to society to 'manage' drugs by emphasizing law enforcement or de-emphasizing law enforcement.

    There will never be any drug policy that does not involve law enforcement.

    Yes there will always be law enforcement, just as there is with alcohol and tobacco, the question is how do we direct that enforcement, inefficiently and tragically as we currently do, or with some modicum of effectiveness control, and realism such as the ATF does.

  6. #516
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    It's a horrible phrase. Drugs are a problem that needs to be managed. It's not a war than can ever be one or lost.

    The question under debate in this thread is whether it's more cost-effective and/or preferable to society to 'manage' drugs by emphasizing law enforcement or de-emphasizing law enforcement.

    There will never be any drug policy that does not involve law enforcement.
    This does beg the question, If it is a no win situation, what then should be done about it?

  7. #517
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    This does beg the question, If it is a no win situation, what then should be done about it?
    Kill all drug users.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #518
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    All drug users or just illegal drug users?

    Tylenol users?

    This could solve a hell of a lot more issues than just drugs then, I think you are onto something here!

  9. #519
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    All drug users or just illegal drug users?

    Tylenol users?

    This could solve a hell of a lot more issues than just drugs then, I think you are onto something here!
    All drug users. If you use a stool softener... BAM! DEAD! If you use morphine to deal with terminal illness... YOU'RE DEAD SOON ANYWAY!

    I think this might work. I'll grab my .32.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #520
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    All drug users. If you use a stool softener... BAM! DEAD! If you use morphine to deal with terminal illness... YOU'RE DEAD SOON ANYWAY!

    I think this might work. I'll grab my .32.
    Make sure you take care of the children, elderly and the disabled before yourself.

Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •