Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #491
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Without cannabis, many parts of Northern California would collapse. There are a few counties that are heavily dependent on the proceeds form the illicit and legal sale of cannabis.

    Come now, do you have proof of this? A youtube propaganda piece is hardly it....

    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 03-19-09 at 07:43 AM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #492
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Come now, do you have proof of this? A youtube propaganda piece is hardly it....

    It was CNBC's documentary about cannabis (marijuana inc.), specifically the operations in northern California. Check it out on CNBC this weekend, as it is the highest rated show in their history, and they play it all the time.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #493
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am not the one making the specious assertions; I have yet to see you set forth a valid argument suggesting it will reduce the illegal drug trade or increase State Revenue.

    Basically what we have here is a lot of emotional babble, speculation and conjecture.

    I on the other hand can show you nations that have experimented with the legalization of drugs and have since rescinded them because their notions about legalization, much like yours, were false and naive.

    Can you show me nations that have legalized Pot and are now reaping the benefits of it? I didn't think so; all you have is speculation, hyperbole and conjecture.

    Carry on.
    1. Mexico brings in 23 billion dollars of revenue from illegal drug trade, a sizable portion of that being from marijuana. Being that the drugs are not even taxed,if it were taxed, Mexico would bring in much much more revenue from it. If America were to legalize cannabis, that would be a sizable hit to cartels and bring in billions for states economies. As long as you are hurting cartels you are reducing the illegal drug trade and just the fact Mexico brings in 23 billion from the substances untaxed, if we were to tax it there would be much more revenue cirulating around the substance.

    2. You can show nations on either side of that coin. In Indonesia for example you can get the death penalty for Marijuana which is just as false and naive as anything you could show. Millions of Americans smoke this substance regularly and this substance is unfairly and unconstitutionally crimnalized by the commerce clause in the 10th Amendment, that makes your argument false and naive in my eyes.
    Last edited by thabigred; 03-19-09 at 10:59 AM.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  4. #494
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    1. Mexico brings in 23 billion dollars of revenue from illegal drug trade, a sizable portion of that being from marijuana. Being that the drugs are not even taxed, if they were Mexico would bring in much much more revenue from it. If America were to legalize cannabis, that would be a sizable hit to cartels and bring in billions for states economies. As long as you are hurting cartels you are reducing the illegal drug trade and just the fact Mexico brings in 23 billion from the substance untaxed, if we were to tax it there would be much more revenue cirulating around the substance.

    2. You can show nations on either side of that coin. In Indonesia for example you can get the death penalty for Marijuana which is just as false and naive as anything you could show. Millions of Americans smoke this substance regularly and this substance is unfairly and unconstitutionally crimnalized by the commerce clause in the 10th Amendment, that makes your argument false and naive in my eyes.
    Excellent post Big Red!

    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #495
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    nope don't think you are crazy at all on that, I agree, which is why I just sat back and let it pass when I saw partisan crap attempted to get brought into this thread, it is not a partisan issue, other than those who are against it due to extreme social conservatism, and that is just not worth the effort to even attempt to overcome.
    I guess I'm now lumped in with 'extreme social conservatives' for daring to ask questions. Many of which, btw, are not answered by AB 390.

    However, I find it odd that none of the pro-marijuana posters challenged the following post. In fact, several applauded it. Which gives me, and others who want to look at this rationally, grave concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Drug possession and use is a victimless crime. The consumption of potentially harmful substances via the long run is not illegal. Therefore the entire premise as to why it is even legal is in fact unsound and invalid. The marijuana tax act was not democratically invoked. Why do some believe populist regard is relevant in the legalizing?

    Personally, i believe all drugs should be legalized, and allowed to be manufactured by firms to provide quality, purity, and lower prices. Of course there should be some guidelines set forth to achieve these goals, and the most efficient mechanism should be through simple excise.

  6. #496
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    What is your argument against legalizing all drugs?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #497
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I guess I'm now lumped in with 'extreme social conservatives' for daring to ask questions. Many of which, btw, are not answered by AB 390.

    However, I find it odd that none of the pro-marijuana posters challenged the following post. In fact, several applauded it. Which gives me, and others who want to look at this rationally, grave concerns.



    I was not lumping you in the category of extreme social conservative, I was making a general statement. Had I that impression of you I would have done just as I said, not wasted my time with you.

    It may be of grave concern for you, but think about it long and hard, which is better, drug Anarchy as we currently have, or drug control.

    I posted this earlier, do take the time to read it, it is a great article:

    LEAP - Publications Publications - Jack Cole End Prohibition Now!


    And for the record, I am not a heroin fiend, crack addict, meth head, nor do I ever intend to be, nor for that matter do I smoke marijuana except on very rare occasions.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-19-09 at 04:24 PM.

  8. #498
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    And for the record, I am not a heroin fiend, crack addict, meth head, nor do I ever intend to be, nor for that matter do I smoke marijuana except on very rare occasions.
    I doubt anyone on this thread is. But I do take these issue seriously. I smoked cigarettes for over twenty years so understand the power of addiction. I've watched family and friends literally drink themselves into the grave... despite all the best education, intervention, and medical assistance money could buy. I've witnessed first hand the downhill spiral of a meth addict. And I've seen minors popping pills handed to them by strangers.

    One of the most powerful arguments FOR legalization of marijuana, at least in my mind, is that it's less dangerous and less addictive than alcohol or cigarettes.

    But it seems we've now moved to another level altogether.


  9. #499
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    I as well take this issue seriously, I have smoked cigarettes for 25 years, have at one time at the age of 17 been addicted to cocaine, and have witnessed firsthand many people who's lives have been destroyed through drug addiction, both friends and family. A theme all too common throughout our country.

    If you do take the issue very seriously then you should realize that it is a problem, and it is not getting better, and an open minded evaluation of all positions and steps we could take to alleviate or help remedy the problem should be considered. Do not dismiss viable and realistic options when we know the position we have currently is a total failure.

    If you have not, read the article I posted with an open mind, and think about it. anarchy, or control?
    Last edited by marduc; 03-19-09 at 05:02 PM.

  10. #500
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,455

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Well they could distribute it statewide and just forget about the bad economy. For a few hours anyway.
    Thank you

Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •