Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #331
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I have yet to see a reasoned coherent argument that would suggest it will and instead the thread is blathered by the typical nonsense one would see in the legalize drugs threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Never smoked once in my life so I can hardly be called a "weed bafoon", but I do see this being a possible boom to their economy. IF it comes to pass it:

    1. Creates new jobs for people growing and manufacturing the weed
    2. Creates new jobs with infrastructure supporting this (for example head shops or bars catering specifically to smoking)
    3. Reduces tax payer burden by reducing the number of drug incarcerations
    4. Free's up law enforcement to focus on other forms of illegal activities
    5. Taxes generated from its sales.

    All of this will help with the economy most likely.
    As I said, it will help the economy there I believe. Will it "solve it"? Probably not, for likely teh same reasons as GottaHurt stated...they'll just find other ways to squander the money.

    But creation of jobs generally help the economy. Reducing the amount of money spent on prisons allows it to possibly go back itno the economy. A more efficient police force should help the economy. And finally, taxes generated from it will likely help the economy, especially if they're smart and use it as a means of lowering taxes elsewhere.

    What's your coherent argument against it helping the economy there?

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As I said, it will help the economy there I believe. Will it "solve it"? Probably not, for likely teh same reasons as GottaHurt stated...they'll just find other ways to squander the money.

    But creation of jobs generally help the economy. Reducing the amount of money spent on prisons allows it to possibly go back itno the economy. A more efficient police force should help the economy. And finally, taxes generated from it will likely help the economy, especially if they're smart and use it as a means of lowering taxes elsewhere.

    What's your coherent argument against it helping the economy there?
    The first mistake in your argument is that the California economy can be rescued by legalizing marijuana.

    You must look at why the economy is spiraling downward; why do you think that is?

    Hint: it is not from a lack of jobs or job creation.

  3. #333
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    So.......dodge, duck, deflect, but not address.

    good to know

  4. #334
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The first mistake in your argument is that the California economy can be rescued by legalizing marijuana.

    You must look at why the economy is spiraling downward; why do you think that is?

    Hint: it is not from a lack of jobs or job creation.
    California has to many entitlements.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  5. #335
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    For those who believe legalizing marijuana in California will help alleviate the state's budget woes... let me ask this. Who will be responsible for tracking all that legal marijuana, performing quality control, and most important, ensuring it does not cross California's borders into states that don't want it?

    If a shipment of marijuana is transported from a legal 'farm' in California to some other state, could the 'farmer' who allowed that shipment to slip out be prosecuted by either California, or the state in which his illegal pot ends up?


  6. #336
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    For those who believe legalizing marijuana in California will help alleviate the state's budget woes... let me ask this. Who will be responsible for tracking all that legal marijuana, performing quality control, and most important, ensuring it does not cross California's borders into states that don't want it?

    If a shipment of marijuana is transported from a legal 'farm' in California to some other state, could the 'farmer' who allowed that shipment to slip out be prosecuted by either California, or the state in which his illegal pot ends up?

    They would be prosecuted like anyone else, just like if they had bought the marijuana in there own state illegally.

    Possession is 9/10ths of the brother, as long as they have it where it is not allowed, they are to be prosecuted.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  7. #337
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    They would be prosecuted like anyone else, just like if they had bought the marijuana in there own state illegally.
    So if a farmer growing marijuana legally in California allows his marijuana to be illegally transported OUT of the state, he'll be prosecuted?


  8. #338
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As I said, it will help the economy there I believe. Will it "solve it"? Probably not, for likely teh same reasons as GottaHurt stated...they'll just find other ways to squander the money.

    But creation of jobs generally help the economy. Reducing the amount of money spent on prisons allows it to possibly go back itno the economy. A more efficient police force should help the economy. And finally, taxes generated from it will likely help the economy, especially if they're smart and use it as a means of lowering taxes elsewhere.

    What's your coherent argument against it helping the economy there?
    I think raising property taxes would help their economy. It was prop 8 or 13 that put a severe limit on that and then property values went out the wazzooo.

  9. #339
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    So if a farmer growing marijuana legally in California allows his marijuana to be illegally transported OUT of the state, he'll be prosecuted?

    Well no, if the law is anything like alcohol laws then no that farmer should not get in trouble.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    I am getting absolutely tired of this argument and the blatantly erroneous premises upon which anti-legalization proponents base their position.

    There is no reason to argue against the legalization of marijuana...NONE. There is no legal reasoning, there is no logical reasoning, there is no philosophical reasoning, there is no moral reasoning. ANYONE who thinks otherwise, please inform me so that we can proceed to have a true debate on the topic, otherwise, keep your silly, emotionally-based arguments to yourself because I'm tired of hearing them.

    What I find most ironic, is some of the most vehement defenders of the Second Amendment resort to the EXACT same tactics as the anti-gun crowd with their idiotic and nonsensical demonizing of an inanimate object. How can you defend guns against a brazenly idiotic premise while utilizing the exact same premise against marijuana? How can one fail to see this!? The hypocrisy of some people is simply astonishing.

Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •