Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #301
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Do you honestly think that by legalizing marijuana the drug cartels will be out of business?
    Well... there seems to be a lack of clear thought on most of these issues.

    I've been subject to ad hominem arguments in this thread and accused of 'having an agenda.' Only because I've been pointing out obvious problems and asking tough questions.

    The truth is I've never really had a strong conviction about legalizing marijuana. I don't believe pot is dangerous. But I think there would be some real problems associated with legalizing it. And those problems are apparent when looking at the models in other more liberal countries who've relaxed their rules...

    They're still faced with restrictions on growing, trafficking and distribution. Something that IS a problem not associated with alcohol. I have little doubt, for instance, than many pot-smokers would love to 'grow-their-own.' No restrictions, right? At the same time, they suggest that it would be regulated like alcohol and cigarettes, therefore kept away from kids. But if seeds are legal, and you can 'grow your own,' then the regulation and taxation goes right out the window.


  2. #302
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    and the lower barrier to entry in selling weed allows people to raise funds for the much more lucrative hard drug business.
    To be fair, in terms of sheer volume of revenue, Marijuana is the most "lucrative". Now in terms of sheer weight invoked profit margins, yes heroin and cocaine reign supreme. A pure ounce of heroin can catch $5,000 easy, and can go as high as $15,000.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #303
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I think a comparison of the two is irrellevant. The fact that alcohol when abused is far worse than weed, does not mean that weed is good for you by any stretch of the imagination.
    no, it's not good for you. but that's not how the law works. the law works on the principle of consistency (or at least common law does).

    so if we allow a substance which does "x" social damage but not another which does exactly the same amount of damage, it's not justice, it's arbitrary favoritism.

    all of which is actually irrelevant because a) weed really isn't that bad for you and b) the benefits of legalization vastly outweigh the genuine damages it does cause and c)the damage caused by weed being illegal is far greater then the damage caused weed use

    I'll say it again, weed is illegal because old conservatives still hate hippies, the prison industrial complex lobbies legislatures and because cops like being able to lock people up based upon their discretion.
    Last edited by new coup for you; 03-16-09 at 02:32 PM.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  4. #304
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The error in your reasoning is that it is not the marijuana that helps you focus. It is the act of having the distorted perception that forces you to attempt to focus more. You would get the same reaction if you had to do something, while being in a lot of pain. Marijuana is not the issue. Overcoming an issue is.



    Yes, I did...in passing. Others mentioned the cancer issue. Smoking it is but one of the health effects. Although ingesting it in other ways is much safer, similar to heavy alcohol use, heavy marijuana use will cause some of these other health effects.
    1. I would rather get past these semantics, I disagree that it is only your perception being distorted that does this, we are totally obliged to disagree on those points.

    2. Regular use of marijuana through non-smoking usage would not compare to the same usage of alcohol over time. Just because they are both intoxicants, does not mean they effect our bodies the same way.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  5. #305
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    To be fair, in terms of sheer volume of revenue, Marijuana is the most "lucrative". Now in terms of sheer weight invoked profit margins, yes heroin and cocaine reign supreme. A pure ounce of heroin can catch $5,000 easy, and can go as high as $15,000.
    exactly, and in terms of labor per dollar, the hard drugs also have a better margin. selling three tons of weed is a lot harder then 100 lbs of heroin, purely from a logistical stand point.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  6. #306
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    exactly, and in terms of labor per dollar, the hard drugs also have a better margin. selling three tons of weed is a lot harder then 100 lbs of heroin, purely from a logistical stand point.
    Known as the gateway drug dealer.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #307
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    no, it's not good for you. but that's not how the law works. the law works on the principle of consistency (or at least common law does).

    so if we allow a substance which does "x" social damage but not another which does exactly the same amount of damage, it's not justice, it's arbitrary favoritism.
    Yet the pro-legalization folks have gone out of their way to demonstrate why alcohol and marijuana are very, very different... which means you can't make a strict comparison between "x" and "y" like that.

    For instance, we've been told that kids don't drink in school (but do get stoned in school) because drunks are obvious and obnoxious and easy to detect. While stoned kids are quiet and sly and nearly impossible to detect. So right off the bat, you've got a huge difference that must be taken into account.

    I've also heard several pro-legalization advocates talk about 'growing their own'. As I mentioned a few posts back... 'growing your own' is an issue that must be dealt with... which is why some countries allow possession but don't allow cultivation. Cultivation is simply not an issue with tobacco and alcohol. Again... it makes a straightforward "x" vs. "y" comparison difficult, at best. In fact I'd suggest there's so much difference that there's hardly much comparison at all.

    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 03-16-09 at 02:41 PM.

  8. #308
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Yet the pro-legalization folks have gone out of their way to demonstrate why alcohol and marijuana are very, very different... which means you can't make a strict comparison between "x" and "y" like that.

    For instance, we've been told that kids don't drink in school (but do get stoned in school) because drunks are obvious and obnoxious and easy to detect. While stoned kids are quiet and sly and nearly impossible to detect. So right off the bat, you've got a huge difference that must be taken into account.

    I've also heard several pro-legalization advocates talk about 'growing their own'. As I mentioned a few posts back... 'growing your own' is an issue that must be dealt with... which is why some countries allow possession but don't allow cultivation. Cultivation is simply not an issue with tobacco and alcohol. Again... it makes a straightforward "x" vs. "y" comparison difficult, at best. In fact I'd suggest there's so much difference that there's hardly much comparison at all.

    All that has to be done is prove that weed is less dangerous or as dangerous as alcohol. I think that's been done pretty succinctly.

    Plenty of people both brew their own beer and grow their own tobacco. Home brewing is particularly a popular hobby.

    Stoned kids are impossible to detect? Lets reinterpret this statement: Stoned kids aren't doing anything worth detecting. If someone is sitting quietly and unobtrusively but their stoned, why do you care?
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  9. #309
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post

    I've also heard several pro-legalization advocates talk about 'growing their own'. As I mentioned a few posts back... 'growing your own' is an issue that must be dealt with... which is why some countries allow possession but don't allow cultivation. Cultivation is simply not an issue with tobacco and alcohol. Again... it makes a straightforward "x" vs. "y" comparison difficult, at best. In fact I'd suggest there's so much difference that there's hardly much comparison at all.

    The comparison of two drugs is quite valid in the x vs y standard. To say that you cannot compare two substances which have different "qualities" but similar addictive motivation (to catch a buzz), is in essence stating that you cannot compare anything at all. Do you believe comparison is illogical?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    It is well documented that black markets restrict discrete supply, and therefore keeps the pricing mechanism in the fashion of an exverted supply curve and an exverted demand curve. Therefore the situations of quantity surpluses will fail to reduce price at almost all levels.

    To sum it up, these are super windfall profits for the high risk, high reward illicit drug business.
    The above never addressed my question, want to try again?

    Do you honestly think that by legalizing marijuana the drug cartels will be out of business?

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •