Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #241
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Wear your underwear outside your tights too. Otherwise I'll just think your a flamboyant vampire.
    OK, but just for you.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #242
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Just wanted to address these two points.

    1) The cons, over the long term, outweigh the pros. Just like alcohol and cigarettes.

    2) The mental disorder thing is not an exaggeration by any means. If you have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder, marijuana will, most likely, worsen it, sometimes significantly. Having worked in the field for 20 years, I have seen this many, many, many times. And it doesn't matter much what you are smoking.
    1. Eating to much is wrong for our health, should the government restrict how much food you are aloud to eat. Number 1 killers in the US are heart disease and diabetes. Maybe we should go on a crusade against health problems by forcing people to lose weight that are over weight. Face it, society job was never to restrict things they deamed unhealthy, all they are supposed to do is make it so your habits don't effect others.

    No way does your point of Marijuana being cancerous support anti-marijuana legislation, because it is not societies job to regulate what we can have that is unhealthy for us and cannot have that is unhealthy for us.

    2. I explained how there are two different strands of marijuana, the kind that most people smoke is sativa. If someone has a mental health disorder a Indica heavily plant, which most medical marijuana distributor give out, is what they should be smoking. It is not hallucinogenic and leaves the user stoned.

    As a person that has seen much of this, I hope you check out this, it is the story of a very christian conservative mother that had a child with ADHD that undergoes research to find out if smoking medical marijuana would calm him down.

    YouTube - Jeffrey's Journey - Healing a Child's Violent Rages With Pot

    As a child I had ADHD also, I took Ritalin in middle school which allowed me to focus on my work very well, but by the time I got to high school my parents felt I was to old to be using ritalin.

    I stopped taking it and my grades decreased accordingly.

    Then I was introduced to marijuana by my peers on my football team, it allowed me to recover from my soreness from playing football sooner, and my grades in my classes increased because I was able to focus more on my work instead of having my mind everywhere else.

    Medical marijuana like used in this video is Indica based, not sativa, it has low THC content and allows the user to become "stoned" so to speak.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  3. #243
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    1. Eating to much is wrong for our health, should the government restrict how much food you are aloud to eat. Number 1 killers in the US are heart disease and diabetes. Maybe we should go on a crusade against health problems by forcing people to lose weight that are over weight. Face it, society job was never to restrict things they deamed unhealthy, all they are supposed to do is make it so your habits don't effect others.

    No way does your point of Marijuana being cancerous support anti-marijuana legislation, because it is not societies job to regulate what we can have that is unhealthy for us and cannot have that is unhealthy for us.
    You are ranting to the wrong audience. I am pro-legalization. Re-read my posts. All I am doing is correcting your misinformation. If one is to be educated, one needs to understand the facts.

    2. I explained how there are two different strands of marijuana, the kind that most people smoke is sativa. If someone has a mental health disorder a Indica heavily plant, which most medical marijuana distributor give out, is what they should be smoking. It is not hallucinogenic and leaves the user stoned.
    Marijuana also has depressive qualities, regardless of the strain. This is detrimental to those with mood disorders.

    As a person that has seen much of this, I hope you check out this, it is the story of a very christian conservative mother that had a child with ADHD that undergoes research to find out if smoking medical marijuana would calm him down.

    YouTube - Jeffrey's Journey - Healing a Child's Violent Rages With Pot

    As a child I had ADHD also, I took Ritalin in middle school which allowed me to focus on my work very well, but by the time I got to high school my parents felt I was to old to be using ritalin.

    I stopped taking it and my grades decreased accordingly.

    Then I was introduced to marijuana by my peers on my football team, it allowed me to recover from my soreness from playing football sooner, and my grades in my classes increased because I was able to focus more on my work instead of having my mind everywhere else.

    Medical marijuana like used in this video is Indica based, not sativa, it has low THC content and allows the user to become "stoned" so to speak.
    That's a nice story and I'm happy you did better. As one who has seen much of this as a therapist for 20 years, including many with ADHD, this is a misnomer. Marijuana masks ADHD symptoms. Will it calm you down? Yes. Will it help you focus. No. The increased calmness gives the illusion of helping you to focus, but over time, the effects of the drug decrease your ability to focus and negatively affect your short term memory. I've seen many ADD kids start smoking and, amazingly, do better...for a time. If they continue, and, especially, if their use becomes moderate to heavy, not only do they lose these gains, but their short term memory is permanently damaged. Even Ritalin doesn't help. Now, does this happen to everyone? No. It often depends on the amount of use, but make no mistake. All marijuana does is mask the symptoms.

    Used in moderation, I see little problem with marijuana use. At that level, it's only a little more harmful that alcohol, and only because of the way it is ingested (smoke). What I do see a problem with is when pro-legalization people erroneous taut marijuana as causing few medical issues, and not affecting those with mental health issues. Both are inaccuracies. If you want it legalized, you need to give accurate information. Compare it with alcohol and cigarettes...that's the way to go. Saying it's safer is incorrect...and because it is incorrect, people are going to assume you are just a pothead wanting to smoke your weed.

    There are more cons than pros to long term, moderate marijuana use...same as alcohol.

    Marijuana will, most likely, worsen psychiatric issues for those who have them.

    And yes, I am still pro-legalization for the reasons I outlined earlier.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 03-16-09 at 03:34 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #244
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You are ranting to the wrong audience. I am pro-legalization. Re-read my posts. All I am doing is correcting your misinformation. If one is to be educated, one needs to understand the facts.

    Marijuana also has depressive qualities, regardless of the strain. This is detrimental to those with mood disorders.

    That's a nice story and I'm happy you did better. As one who has seen much of this as a therapist for 20 years, including many with ADHD, this is a misnomer. Marijuana masks ADHD symptoms. Will it calm you down? Yes. Will it help you focus. No. The increased calmness gives the illusion of helping you to focus, but over time, the effects of the drug decrease your ability to focus and negatively affect your short term memory. I've seen many ADD kids start smoking and, amazingly, do better...for a time. If they continue, and, especially, if their use becomes moderate to heavy, not only do they lose these gains, but their short term memory is permanently damaged. Even Ritalin doesn't help. Now, does this happen to everyone? No. It often depends on the amount of use, but make no mistake. All marijuana does is mask the symptoms.

    Used in moderation, I see little problem with marijuana use. At that level, it's only a little more harmful that alcohol, and only because of the way it is ingested (smoke). What I do see a problem with is when pro-legalization people erroneous taut marijuana as causing few medical issues, and not affecting those with mental health issues. Both are inaccuracies. If you want it legalized, you need to give accurate information. Compare it with alcohol and cigarettes...that's the way to go. Saying it's safer is incorrect...and because it is incorrect, people are going to assume you are just a pothead wanting to smoke your weed.

    There are more cons than pros to long term, moderate marijuana use...same as alcohol.

    Marijuana will, most likely, worsen psychiatric issues for those who have them.

    And yes, I am still pro-legalization for the reasons I outlined earlier.
    Marijuana does not allow you to focus you say?

    YouTube - Marijuana and Driving

    Here is a long term user of marijuana, that drives before and after smoking a joint, and they test how well he drives while high.

    The long term user of marijuana drives better after smoking a joint than before smoking the joint.

    If you have a problem with smoking it, I suggest cannabutter, which is a process where you take take the stuff that makes you high from marijuana and puts them into butter so you can cook with them.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  5. #245
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Marijuana does not allow you to focus you say?

    YouTube - Marijuana and Driving

    Here is a long term user of marijuana, that drives before and after smoking a joint, and they test how well he drives while high.

    The long term user of marijuana drives better after smoking a joint than before smoking the joint.

    If you have a problem with smoking it, I suggest cannabutter, which is a process where you take take the stuff that makes you high from marijuana and puts them into butter so you can cook with them.
    Of course you would draw that conclusion. I draw a different one. He indicated that he felt more paranoia and his perception was distorted...he felt he was driving slower than he actually was. Also, he didn't say he could more easily concentrate...he said he had to force himself to concentrate more. These are all impairments, that he indicated, showing that his perception was affected by the marijuana. I do not want him driving when high, nor anyone else. Your video proves my position.

    And if the butter gives the same response, than I would feel the same way about the butter.

    You are doing what many pro-legals do. Providing incorrect information that is easily refuted. This will force those on the cusp to reject your position. You are not helping yourself, here.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 03-16-09 at 04:46 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #246
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Of course you would draw that conclusion. I draw a different one. He indicated that he felt more paranoia and his perception was distorted...he felt he was driving slower than he actually was. Also, he didn't say he could more easily concentrate...he said he had to force himself to concentrate more. These are all impairments, that he indicated, showing that his perception was affected by the marijuana. I do not want him driving when high, nor anyone else. Your video proves my position.

    And if the butter gives the same response, than I would feel the same way about the butter.

    You are doing what many pro-legals do. Providing incorrect information that is easily refuted. This will force those on the cusp to reject your position. You are not helping yourself, here.
    1. The difference between my conclusion and your conclusion is you are trying to act as though my conclusion should lead to yours. The video proves that being moderately high can allow a person who is a regular smoker of marijuana the ability to concentrate better.

    When the driver was not high, he could drive and focus on everything else which was because he could pay less attention to the road and still drive ok. When the driver was high, his perception was distorted, not so much to not allow him to do normal tasks but enough that he had to focus himself on a task at hand to get it done.

    When high you have to concentrate, which is something people who have a hard time concentrating cannot do on there own, with moderate use of marijuana this is possible. People have to focus on the task at hand, in order to get things done. There is no multitasking involved.

    2. You brought up the fact of smoking being bad for your lungs or what not because it is cancerous. I bring up butter because it is not nearly as cancerous form of ingestion as smoking and offers the same effects. Neutralizing your argument of cancer.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  7. #247
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I hate hearing stories like this. Firstly, it sounds like he was practically "proud" of his friend's idiotic driving exploits, and secondly, getting his kid to help out this alcoholic is both enabling and emotionally harmful to the kid.

    This guy sounds like a real loser.



    Apparently you can find him at legal seafood most days.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #248
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    dammit, I was hoping to bring up the belligerent drunk in the stands behind me spilling popcorn all over my shoulder and yelling in my ear cussing like a sailor despite all the kids around as a potential rebuttal for Grateful Heart, you stole my thunder :p



    Where did you think you were going? a church retreat?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #249
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Would it be okay to drive stoned?

    It isn't now. Why would it be okay once it becomes legal?

    And yet people still do it, some risking the lives of others for their weed.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #250
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes. Marijuana is no more dangerous then alcohol. Nobody has EVER died from smoking marijuana. How many have died from alcohol poisoning? Your attempt to make this seem like a cloudy issue that needs to be thought out before dealt with is see through.


    Please link to studies regarding no one developing lung cancer or other health issues because pot's smoke is actually a good thing to stick in your lungs.....

    I love speculative claims!


    Also consider no one has been made smarter by smoking it either, YMMV....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •