Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 609

Thread: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

  1. #171
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Of course not. But you've got to admit. It's quite normal for Americans to go out to a restaurant and have a glass of wine or beer or two with dinner. It's also normal to go to the holiday party and have a few glasses of spiked punch or champagne... complete with the silly New Years Eve hats. In fact we don't think twice about it. So portraying alcohol drinkers as 'town drunks' just doesn't cut it. While most Americans would not want their child to be the town drunk... most Americans also love their alcohol.

    It is NOT normal or expected to see someone smoking pot. Fairly or unfairly, there's a perception among most Americans that it's odd, or out of the mainstream, or unfamiliar. Public opinion polls support this perception...

    Gallup Poll

    Those numbers don't bode well for pot-smokers. Even gays have better ratings.

    So your point is that it is not socially acceptable in a society that prohibits the consumption of cannabis? This is hardly newsworthy.

    If marijuana were legalized, that would die quickly. Considering roughly 50% of all kids smoke weed at some point before they graduate high school, it could become pretty acceptable in a decade or two.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #172
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Of course not. But you've got to admit. It's quite normal for Americans to go out to a restaurant and have a glass of wine or beer or two with dinner. It's also normal to go to the holiday party and have a few glasses of spiked punch or champagne... complete with the silly New Years Eve hats. In fact we don't think twice about it. So portraying alcohol drinkers as 'town drunks' just doesn't cut it. While most Americans would not want their child to be the town drunk... most Americans also love their alcohol.

    It is NOT normal or expected to see someone smoking pot. Fairly or unfairly, there's a perception among most Americans that it's odd, or out of the mainstream, or unfamiliar. Public opinion polls support this perception...

    Gallup Poll

    Those numbers don't bode well for pot-smokers. Even gays have better ratings.

    it is not expected to see someone smoking pot in much the same way that it is unacceptable to go to the grocery store stark naked. There are laws against it, if alcohol was illegal it would not be expected for osneone to sit down and have a few glasses of wine with dinner. This is a non argument. It is not expected in a growing number of states to light up a cigarette either.

    For many people outside of your range of perceptions it is quite normal to sit down and have a bowl and unwind after a stressful day/week at work, just as others would a scotch. Or to light up a joint at a new years party, which also had the silly hats as well mind you :P.

    public opinion polls show that 75 years of propaganda are losing their hold on the public as awareness increases.

    Your chart is quite encouraging, look at how much that gap is closing, as the percentage of baby boomers to the overall population wanes the numbers are going to close even more. Had your polls carried through until present you would see that number has risen from 36% to 41% in the last 3 years. At this rate (which is going to increase, public awareness, lower baby boomer pop) public opinion will be in favor of it in 6 more years. This ball is picking up steam fast, it will not take that long.

  3. #173
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So your point is that it is not socially acceptable in a society that prohibits the consumption of cannabis? This is hardly newsworthy.
    No it's not. But it addresses the real issue of why pot is illegal... rather than irrelevant issues such as whether it's addictive, or harmful, or a 'gateway' drug, or whether fewer or more kids would use it if legalized. Those aren't the real issues. So yes... that chart may not be newsworthy... but it's the most important aspect of this debate.

    If marijuana were legalized, that would die quickly. Considering roughly 50% of all kids smoke weed at some point before they graduate high school, it could become pretty acceptable in a decade or two.
    So you envision an American culture in which we go to the ballpark and I order a hot dog and a cold beer, while you order a large order of nachos and a joint?


  4. #174
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post



    So you envision an American culture in which we go to the ballpark and I order a hot dog and a cold beer, while you order a large order of nachos and a joint?

    Yup, I can't speak for who you addressed that question to, but I do sacrilege huh?? Don't worry We will go off to the corner and smoke it in the designated area so as not to offend people with the side stream smoke.. ideally the nacho cheese itself could be laced with pot :P

    Give me a good reason why not?
    Last edited by marduc; 03-15-09 at 07:45 PM.

  5. #175
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Yup, I can't speak for who you addressed that question to, but I do sacrilege huh?? Don't worry We will go off to the corner and smoke it in the designated area so as not to offend people with the side stream smoke.. ideally the nacho cheese itself could be laced with pot :P

    Give me a good reason why not?
    As long as you have a smoking section, so those of us who do not want to breath in the stuff can avoid it, if it is legal, I see no problem with it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #176
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    So you envision an American culture in which we go to the ballpark and I order a hot dog and a cold beer, while you order a large order of nachos and a joint?

    Yeah... I'm also guaranteed not to become a belligerent drunk and throw someone off of the stands.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Yeah... I'm also guaranteed not to become a belligerent drunk and throw someone off of the stands.
    You've convinced me. No drinking or smoking at the ballpark.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #178
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You've convinced me. No drinking or smoking at the ballpark.
    Think about how good a ballpark dog would be when you have the munchies...
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #179
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    People can laugh all they'd like. But even in a country such as the Netherlands... pot-smokers are consigned to their 'coffee houses.' In essence, the freaks are still segregated. Smoking weed is not socially acceptable in the way that alcohol is.




  10. #180
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Yeah... I'm also guaranteed not to become a belligerent drunk and throw someone off of the stands.
    dammit, I was hoping to bring up the belligerent drunk in the stands behind me spilling popcorn all over my shoulder and yelling in my ear cussing like a sailor despite all the kids around as a potential rebuttal for Grateful Heart, you stole my thunder :p

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •