Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 131

Thread: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

  1. #71
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    You guys can cling to relativism all you want but the reality is that children when you're young is an unnecessary burden which will stunt your personal and career development. Of course many people triumph through this and raise mathletes that go to space camp, but my position is more likely then yours.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Forget the stay at home mom vs working mom wars for a minute. The fact of the matter is that most couples in the US today are not college educated couples. It's far more common for only 1 person in the "couple" to have a college education. Two full time jobs doesn't necessarily mean two jobs where a college degree is necessary. Many couples have the mom working only part time, sporadically, or not working when the kids are young and then working when they are older. It's not a black and white issue. You don't need a college degree to work and most moms work, don't work, work part time, don't work depending on the families needs during the child raising years. Rarely do you meet a woman who doesn't work and never has. It's all about adaptability and since women are best off having their first kid before the age of 24 it's likely women will often veer off the get college degree, establish career, etc path and opt for something slightly messier, more creative, and more adaptable if having kids is a priority.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Young marriage and child bearing aren't bad but I don't think that's what AW was saying. I think she was saying being trapped in a young marriage with someone you're not wishing to be with is bad, which seems to be the case here.

    Its too bad it couldn't have worked out for them as I'm sure it would've worked better for all those involved. I hope our typical tabloid media will show a bit of respect to two young people that really don't need to be and shouldn't be dragged into all this.

    Thankfully she seems to have a good family unit that will be there to help support her and the child.
    It sounds to me like one of those questionable after party hookups that went to far. She just wanted to get laid ... and found out what happens when a condom isn't used.

    The whole marriage thing was a cover to protect Sarah Palin and her running mate.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Wait, we're talking in reality now? Funny, none of your posts seemed to be grounded there but in magical mystical hyperbole-land

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It sounds to me like one of those questionable after party hookups that went to far. She just wanted to get laid ... and found out what happens when a condom isn't used.

    The whole marriage thing was a cover to protect Sarah Palin and her running mate.
    Its quite possible, but at this point is nothing but speculation. There's really no evidence one way or another on it. While her mother is in favor of abstinence education, the school system she was a part of taught comprehensive sex ed. While they did announce the marriage during the campaign, there's no proof or evidence that it was done specifically because of that.

    It pretty much comes down to a judgement call. I can see how one would make the determination it was all a political stunt, and its a valid opinion, but no more valid that it wasn't.

  6. #76
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    You guys can cling to relativism all you want but the reality is that children when you're young is an unnecessary burden which will stunt your personal and career development. Of course many people triumph through this and raise mathletes that go to space camp, but my position is more likely then yours.
    So, my father running his own company by 25 is a stunted career development for him? WTF would he have done if he didn't have three kids? Own his own Planet?

    And guess what?

    Not only was he young when he got married, he's only went to school until he was 12?!?!?!?

    And guess what else? He taught himself how to be a "mathlete". The guy is better at math than most college grads!

    Face it, everyone is different.

  7. #77
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    What a crock! All the stay at home mothers I know are nothing like that. They do things with their children, like take them to museums and parks, and then go home to do housework and cook. You think it's so easy, I'd like to see you be a stay at home parent for a week.

    And there is something they do that us parents who have to work can't do- spend even more quality time with their children.
    Wait a second. I have stayed at home with our kids for a week before. My wife and I have to use vacation time when school is for Christmas and Spring break and stay home with the kids.

    Its easy, and yes, during that time I take to do things, its still easy. Its much easier than working. If someone thinks kids are a burden then they should not have them.

    Life is all about balance. When I get out of work, we go to park, go on bike rides, and so on. As a family we make a day trip somewhere nearly every weekend.

    If one of us stayed home, our kids would not be able to do the things they do now because we would not be able to afford it. They would not have been able to go to all the places they have been to. They would not have had the benefit of Montessori Schools before kindergarten. Hell we would not have been able to even adopt our daughter because we would not have been able to afford it.

    My point is that there is nothing wrong with most parents working, and I would argue that in this day and age, so long as the parents do strive for that balance between work and family, in many cases its ideal.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #78
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Wait a second. I have stayed at home with our kids for a week before. My wife and I have to use vacation time when school is for Christmas and Spring break and stay home with the kids.

    Its easy, and yes, during that time I take to do things, its still easy. Its much easier than working. If someone thinks kids are a burden then they should not have them.

    Life is all about balance. When I get out of work, we go to park, go on bike rides, and so on. As a family we make a day trip somewhere nearly every weekend.

    If one of us stayed home, our kids would not be able to do the things they do now because we would not be able to afford it. They would not have been able to go to all the places they have been to. They would not have had the benefit of Montessori Schools before kindergarten. Hell we would not have been able to even adopt our daughter because we would not have been able to afford it.

    My point is that there is nothing wrong with most parents working, and I would argue that in this day and age, so long as the parents do strive for that balance between work and family, in many cases its ideal.
    ok this is much better. Your other post made it seem as though you think stay at home parents do nothing but sit on their bums and watch soaps all day long. I can agree with this here very much.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  9. #79
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So, my father running his own company by 25 is a stunted career development for him? WTF would he have done if he didn't have three kids? Own his own Planet?

    And guess what?

    Not only was he young when he got married, he's only went to school until he was 12?!?!?!?

    And guess what else? He taught himself how to be a "mathlete". The guy is better at math than most college grads!

    Face it, everyone is different.
    And that's a real achievement, however it's notable as an achievement due to its unlikelihood.

    You're personalizing the class debate.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  10. #80
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Alaska Gov. Palin's Daughter, Fiance Break Up

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    ok this is much better. Your other post made it seem as though you think stay at home parents do nothing but sit on their bums and watch soaps all day long. I can agree with this here very much.
    No, I dont think all do, but certainly some do. I know from a lot of our kids friends that some with stay at home parents never get out and do anything other than a trip to the park.

    All I am saying is that this notion that having a stay at home mother is ideal is not really the case in today's world.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •