Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 147

Thread: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Why would law abiding people want guns?
    Gee I donít know, to protect themselves from criminals?

    Let me ask you a few things; do you believe that police prevent crime? when do the police usually deal with a criminal?

    Think about it and get back to me.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In 2006, in the US there were 30,694 gun deaths. Though not huge considering the amount of guns nor the amount of people, this is not isolated or incidental. Gun safety and gun education is key, not gun banning. There will always be the random crazy, or nice guy who goes crazy no matter what.

    Solution? Increase mental health care.
    Approximately half of those gun deaths were suicides. Those deaths technically should be excluded from the number as they would have found some other method.


  3. #103
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Surprisingly enough though the same could be said for our drug laws as well.
    That is true, I advocate a more intelligent drug policy myself, legalize and tax marijuana, allow for semi-legalization of hard drugs(in a clinic type setting with support staff, fair market pricing)

    However, many people still feel it is the right of the government to interfere there.
    The difference here is that the second amendment protects gun ownership while there is no strict interpretation of the right to use drugs. However the ninth and tenth amendments should prohibit many of the federal controls and policies we suffer today, drug laws being one of them. Personally, I believe states should have the final say in their own drug policies, as well as adult drinking ages and liquor laws.

    So which is it? Is it in the best interest of people for the government to make things illegal that law abiding citizens would not abuse or not?
    Simple, the federal government needs to follow the supreme law of the land, the constitution, the states should retain their constitutionally guaranteed powers and the federal should stick to it's constitutionally proscribed powers and duties.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Surprisingly enough though the same could be said for our drug laws as well.

    However, many people still feel it is the right of the government to interfere there.

    So which is it? Is it in the best interest of people for the government to make things illegal that law abiding citizens would not abuse or not?
    I don't think it is relevant to divert the thread topic into a legalizing drugs argument is it?

    But to answer the question, there is a HUGE difference between the legal ownership of a handgun that is technically not bad for your health and legalizing a product that certainly IS bad for your health and endangers society as a whole.

    I find it fascinating that many Liberals think that cigarettes should be banned due to the cost to society and the health risk, but think substances like cocaine and heroine should be legalized because of the cost of enforcement. Which is it?

    Read up on the definition of a red herring for further clarification of why your argument is specious.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I find it fascinating that many Liberals think that cigarettes should be banned due to the cost to society and the health risk, but think substances like cocaine and heroine should be legalized because of the cost of enforcement. Which is it?

    Read up on the definition of a red herring for further clarification of why your argument is specious.
    It wasn't a red herring at all. One of your comments was that law abiding citizens should be allowed firearms, they should also be able to put into THEIR body what they want to.

    The key word is law abiding, someone doing harm to someone while on drugs is no longer law abiding, much as someone that commits a crime with a gun is no longer law abiding. Law abiding should be afforded that right.

    As for the liberal comment, you would have to show me the liberals that want to ban cigarettes, but allow cocaine and heroine, because I haven't seen it personally.

    I am firmly against the forcing an establishment to be non-smoking or the outright banning of cigarettes.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    More people die from automobiles accidents than any other cause; should we take them away because a few treat them irresponsibly?
    If someone uses their automobile to commit murder. Yes, their drivers license should be taken away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The FACT is that gun laws do NOTHING to deter crime and just disarm law abiding citizens. There are NO statistics that support strict gun confiscation laws.

    The cities with the stiffest gun laws have the highest crime rates; what a shocker. BUT, if I were a criminal, I would be all FOR gun confiscation laws because that way when I commit my crimes, I can be comforted knowing that it is a high probability the people I am robbing can't stop me.

    This case, as the one in Scotland a few years back illustrates that if someone is going to use a gun in a crime, they will be able to get the gun regardless of all the high minded attempts to prevent it.

    It makes NO sense to disarm the law abiding public because there are a few who might break the law and abuse their rights. They would do it regardless. It's as absurd as suggesting that cars kill people, therefore we should take cars away.
    Who is talking about disarming law abiding citizens? Law abiding citizens should freely and easily be able to purchase and carry weapons. The criminals are who need to be stopped.


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Car Crash Stats: There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005. The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed. About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutes.
    Car Accident Statistics, Stats, Auto, Fatal, Drunk Driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    In 2003 alone, 30,136 Americans died by gunfire: 16,907 in firearm suicides, 11,920 in firearm homicides, 730 in unintentional shootings, and 232 in firearm deaths of unknown intent, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Nearly three times that number are treated in emergency rooms each year for nonfatal firearm injuries.
    NRA Information - Gun Violence in America

    Top Ten "Gun-Control" Myths
    Top Ten "Gun-Control" Myths
    Are you seriously comparing gun deaths to car deaths? First, how many car deaths were caused do to intent to harm? Second, there are a registered 250 million passenger cars in the US. According to the NCSA there are a reported 423 accidents for every 100 million miles driven.

    What is the gun ammo usage vs deaths total?
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-12-09 at 04:25 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #107
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    II find it fascinating that many Liberals think that cigarettes should be banned due to the cost to society and the health risk, but think substances like cocaine and heroine should be legalized because of the cost of enforcement. Which is it?
    I find it fascinating that you make crap like this up and think your spouting truth. Liberals do not want to remove an individuals ability to buy cigarettes, they are limiting the usage in public places. No different then not allowing people to be drunk or drink on public property.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  8. #108
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Couldn't happen to a nicer anti-American country, IMO.
    So all those innocent people that died deserved to be killed because the anit-gun politicians in Germany?!! Your one ****ed up piece of **** you know that!
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I find it fascinating that you make crap like this up and think your spouting truth. Liberals do not want to remove an individuals ability to buy cigarettes, they are limiting the usage in public places. No different then not allowing people to be drunk or drink on public property.
    Bars and restaurants are private property.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #110
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Bars and restaurants are private property.
    Yes they are, which is why I didn't say bars and restaurants and said public property.

    The community can ask a privately owned company to not do something but in the end the decision is up to the company. This is why I have no problems with restaurants or bars allowing smoking as long as they meet the health requirements of proper ventilation, the same as I except them to meet the health requirements of handling food.

    What you can and cannot do on public beaches, parks, streets, etc., is up to the community to decide.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-12-09 at 05:07 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •