Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 147

Thread: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

  1. #91
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    God that is depressing, no police would come to your aid?
    It is an impossibility for police to be able to cover even 10% of the population much less 100%.

    Police are there to take reports after the crime is committed and to arrest the perpetrator.

    Police can not prevent a crime with much success before it happens because there is no reason for them to arrest the person.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #92
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    God that is depressing, no police would come to your aid?
    They aren't obliged to. They can just not show up, that's not illegal. The cops in the end tend to be more State fundraisers than anything else. Go out giving speeding tickets or DUI or whatever it is they need to do to boost revenue to the State. That's their primary function now it seems anyway. I think the new cop uniforms should be girl scout uniforms.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #93
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Those exact laws were already in place in Germany and failed to avert this crisis. What sense does it make to enact such laws as a response to this incident?
    Yes law abiding citizen over 18 owning a lot of guns can also be a problem. That like for example in this case and others it can lead to that their children get hold of the guns. But it still is pretty common sens to stop children and people with mental problem or criminal record from owning gun. That you do background check but also control the gun shops so the abide to the laws. It can also be common sens that law abiding citizen have to register the guns they have so they can't sell them to people on the black market.

    It is also to understand the dangers gun have, that if a mother have a gun in her purse instead of pepper spray to protect herself, their is a change that she forget it one evening after a stress full day. Then the child can get hold of the gun and it's much more dangereus then if it got hold of the pepper spray.

    You can also have a couple that is afraid of burglars but instead of getting a big dog they get a gun. After some year the marriage is falling a part and the husband comes home very drunk after discovering his wife have cheated on him. Instead of stopping after a severe beaten of his wife he instead have the gun their the consequences of his action comes much more quicker the understanding of what he is doing.

    That kind of tragedies is more common then the terrible massacres that have occurred both in USA as well as Europe.

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    This is typical hoplophibic type of a response. US citizens own 192 million guns. Where is this "Wild West" you speak of?


    Surely with 192 million guns, if your paranoia and fear was with merit, there would be more than these isolated incidents every few years.....
    In 2006, in the US there were 30,694 gun deaths. Though not huge considering the amount of guns nor the amount of people, this is not isolated or incidental. Gun safety and gun education is key, not gun banning. There will always be the random crazy, or nice guy who goes crazy no matter what.

    Solution? Increase mental health care.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #95
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In 2006, in the US there were 30,694 gun deaths. Though not huge considering the amount of guns nor the amount of people, this is not isolated or incidental. Gun safety and gun education is key, not gun banning. There will always be the random crazy, or nice guy who goes crazy no matter what.

    Solution? Increase mental health care.



    Link?


    What percentage was that criminal on criminal?



    idiot shooting innocents rare. very rare.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #96
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    idiot shooting innocents rare. very rare.
    terror attacks are even more rare but Fox talked about that every day during 8 years!

    As for gun laws...I'm not in favor of wide availability of guns because if you can buy one easily, many morons are going to buy them and it can be reasonably deducted that there will be more deaths by gunfire

    HOWEVER

    it is also true that real criminals who want to get guns will get them easily, even if there's a ban on guns. Someone who is really decided to kill people can also use many different "tools", for example last month a crazy guy killed 2 or 3 babies with a knife

  7. #97
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    terror attacks are even more rare but Fox talked about that every day during 8 years!

    Fallacy: Red Herring

    As for gun laws...I'm not in favor of wide availability of guns because if you can buy one easily, many morons are going to buy them and it can be reasonably deducted that there will be more deaths by gunfire

    192 million guns in the US


    HOWEVER

    it is also true that real criminals who want to get guns will get them easily, even if there's a ban on guns. Someone who is really decided to kill people can also use many different "tools", for example last month a crazy guy killed 2 or 3 babies with a knife

    exactly, making your previous point moot.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #98
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I don't think it is a fallacy:
    - you say that these crimes are rare and that we should not take any measure to prevent them
    - I answer that in certain cases (terrorism) we take measures while the risk is much smaller


    192 million guns in the US
    that's a lot

    exactly, making your previous point moot.
    that's called "nuance"

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Yes I get that argument. "If everyone had a gun he would have died sooner".

    If everyone did have a gun would everyone use it responsibly or would it turn into the wild wild west? Should we allow killings in fair fights?
    More people die from autmobiles accidents than any other cause; should we take them away because a few treat them irresponsibly?

    The FACT is that gun laws do NOTHING to deter crime and just disarm law abiding citizens. There are NO statistics that support strict gun confiscation laws.

    The cities with the stiffest gun laws have the highest crime rates; what a shocker. BUT, if I were a criminal, I would be all FOR gun confiscation laws because that way when I commit my crimes, I can be comforted knowing that it is a high probability the people I am robbing can't stop me.

    This case, as the one in Scotland a few years back illustrates that if someone is going to use a gun in a crime, they will be able to get the gun regardless of all the high minded attempts to prevent it.

    It makes NO sense to disarm the law abiding public because there are a few who might break the law and abuse their rights. They would do it regardless. It's as absurd as suggesting that cars kill people, therefore we should take cars away.



    Car Crash Stats: There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005. The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed. About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutes.
    Car Accident Statistics, Stats, Auto, Fatal, Drunk Driving

    In 2003 alone, 30,136 Americans died by gunfire: 16,907 in firearm suicides, 11,920 in firearm homicides, 730 in unintentional shootings, and 232 in firearm deaths of unknown intent, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Nearly three times that number are treated in emergency rooms each year for nonfatal firearm injuries.
    NRA Information - Gun Violence in America

    Top Ten "Gun-Control" Myths
    Top Ten "Gun-Control" Myths

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gunman shot by police after massacre in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The FACT is that gun laws do NOTHING to deter crime and just disarm law abiding citizens. There are NO statistics that support strict gun confiscation laws.

    It makes NO sense to disarm the law abiding public because there are a few who might break the law and abuse their rights. They would do it regardless. It's as absurd as suggesting that cars kill people, therefore we should take cars away.
    Surprisingly enough though the same could be said for our drug laws as well.

    However, many people still feel it is the right of the government to interfere there.

    So which is it? Is it in the best interest of people for the government to make things illegal that law abiding citizens would not abuse or not?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •