Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: A family's year of 'buying black'

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think that's more or less because in ethnic neighborhoods, the ethnic store on the corner may have more of what the population of those neighborhoods is looking for. A hispanic is going to shop at a hispanic store over an asian store because they are looking for products that hispanic stores sell. Simple as that and nothing to do with being discriminating.
    This might be true in many instances. For example my brother likes to shop in little Hispanic grocery stores because they sell things he can't get at Thriftway.

    But in regards to the OP the folks are buying from blacks because they are black. Driving long distances not for a certain product but instead to ensure their money is handed off to another black person vs a whitey or someone else.

    It's bigotry. If a white man told me he only wants to patronize white shops I'd think he was a major racist tard. When the black folks do it I think the same damn thing no matter how they attempt to pretty up their ultimate intent.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Okay, so they're saying "buy black" isn't racist.

    Works for me.

    Let's initiate a "buy white" plan and shop only at stores owned by white people that hire white people, and see how long it takes before the Poverty Pimps and Race Baiters are out there protesting this evil racist ploy of big corporate America that's intended to keep the peeeepul down.

    Five seconds?

    Anyone wanna bid two?

    It's racist, fools. And they're not only racists for "buying black", they're stupid, because they're paying typically higher prices, not to mention the gas they're wasting, and I'm not mentioning the time they're wasting driving all over like that, too.

    Then they're really stupid because they want to pretend they're discriminated against when the American mainstream moves beyond them. Well, people, the American mainstream stays out of ghettos, and what you're doing by being racist and exclusive is establishing a suburban ghetto defined not by geography but by economics.

    And really, if y'all do that, how are us white folks going to be able to find you to learn ebonics, jive, or even that old fashioned slave twang y'all's got in your voices so we can still tell what color your skin is with our eyes closed over the telephone?

    You people want to end racism in this country? First stop being racist. Second, learn how to speak english like real Americans. If you people want to be judged on who you are, what your skills are, and what's inside, you damn well need to stop pretending we give a crap about what's on your outside.

    The truth of the matter is that we don't care was color you are, we don't care about who you really are on the inside, we just wish you'd stop whining about things we had nothing to do with, don't care about, and aren't important on any objective scale.

    We just want to be able to hear the bees buzzin' in the flowers on a sunny spring day. Go protest where someone cares.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 03-10-09 at 07:14 PM.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    But IMO it's not segregation. It's just stores serving what the area wants. If you go into an ethnic store, nobody is going to throw you out because you're not the same nationality as the owners. Nobody wants to segragate themselves, they just want to buy the products they want and use.
    You have a very good point. I have learned a lot living here in downtown Los Angeles about that sort of thing. All these little ethnic markets are the best for buying the things you need to make certain dishes. If I need chiles, I go to the latin market, for lemongrass its the asian market, for kabob rubs its the middle eastern markets.

    You can always tell what district I have been hanging out in by looking at what we are having for dinner that week. LOL

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    You have a very good point. I have learned a lot living here in downtown Los Angeles about that sort of thing. All these little ethnic markets are the best for buying the things you need to make certain dishes. If I need chiles, I go to the latin market, for lemongrass its the asian market, for kabob rubs its the middle eastern markets.

    You can always tell what district I have been hanging out in by looking at what we are having for dinner that week. LOL
    And....try to sell into that community as an outsider. Good luck. The korean community tends generally to "buy korean", which made for all sorts of fun and entertainment in the spring of 1992 here.

  5. #15
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    This might be true in many instances. For example my brother likes to shop in little Hispanic grocery stores because they sell things he can't get at Thriftway.

    But in regards to the OP the folks are buying from blacks because they are black. Driving long distances not for a certain product but instead to ensure their money is handed off to another black person vs a whitey or someone else.

    It's bigotry. If a white man told me he only wants to patronize white shops I'd think he was a major racist tard. When the black folks do it I think the same damn thing no matter how they attempt to pretty up their ultimate intent.
    There is a difference though. If you look at the pro-white organizations they tend to be about hatred towards other races as much as they are about promoting whites. When I think pro-white the first organization that comes to mind is the KKK. When I think pro-black its the NAACP. The reality is that white pride is almost always accompanied by by racism whereas ethnic pride is generally positive. The reason, I would speculate, is that whites tend not to be proud of their race, but their nationality. Irish pride, German pride, American pride etc is much more common than white pride, and when somebody does express strong white pride it's usually to contrast themselves with minorities.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    The reality is that white pride is almost always accompanied by by racism whereas ethnic pride is generally positive.
    You should analyze this statement and see if you really believe it.

    What makes you think "ethnic" pride is positive ? Ever heard the term White Devil ?

    Also, do you wonder why you chose the NAACP instead of the Black Panthers ? The Panthers make a much better parallel to the Klan, and not surprisingly, the had plenty of racism to accompany their pride.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    There is a difference though. If you look at the pro-white organizations they tend to be about hatred towards other races as much as they are about promoting whites. When I think pro-white the first organization that comes to mind is the KKK. When I think pro-black its the NAACP. The reality is that white pride is almost always accompanied by by racism whereas ethnic pride is generally positive. The reason, I would speculate, is that whites tend not to be proud of their race, but their nationality. Irish pride, German pride, American pride etc is much more common than white pride, and when somebody does express strong white pride it's usually to contrast themselves with minorities.
    I've heard similar arguments before but usually they are worded as in whites who show bigotry can do damage while ethnics that show bigotry can't as they lack the power to harm whites.

    At this point I think anyone doing anything in a way that over emphasis skin color is a bigot whether their intentions are good are not. It's like Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing movie. I never understood that movie. I understand looking after your own as long as your own is really your own and not just a skin color affiliation. Driving miles and miles to patronize a black shop solely because you prefer to do business with dark skinned peoples is bigotry. It's nothing to be proud of no matter how you attempt to justify your actions. If the folks in the OP said they go out of their way to try to uplift the black community by making sure to spend some money within it -fine. But to go so far as to say you will only do business with blacks....indefensible.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    There is a difference though. If you look at the pro-white organizations they tend to be about hatred towards other races as much as they are about promoting whites. When I think pro-white the first organization that comes to mind is the KKK. When I think pro-black its the NAACP. The reality is that white pride is almost always accompanied by by racism whereas ethnic pride is generally positive. The reason, I would speculate, is that whites tend not to be proud of their race, but their nationality. Irish pride, German pride, American pride etc is much more common than white pride, and when somebody does express strong white pride it's usually to contrast themselves with minorities.
    Even among whites there are ethnic differences.

    Could you say that there are no different ethnic traits between Irish, Jewish, and Russian people?

    There are differences but these people are classified as white.

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou
    I've heard similar arguments before but usually they are worded as in whites who show bigotry can do damage while ethnics that show bigotry can't as they lack the power to harm whites.

    At this point I think anyone doing anything in a way that over emphasis skin color is a bigot whether their intentions are good are not. It's like Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing movie. I never understood that movie. I understand looking after your own as long as your own is really your own and not just a skin color affiliation. Driving miles and miles to patronize a black shop solely because you prefer to do business with dark skinned peoples is bigotry. It's nothing to be proud of no matter how you attempt to justify your actions. If the folks in the OP said they go out of their way to try to uplift the black community by making sure to spend some money within it -fine. But to go so far as to say you will only do business with blacks....indefensible.
    That is what I was eluding to.

    How can one group be able to define what businesses that they patronize solely on skin color while another group cannot.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    Adam Shepard

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Wonder how much longer the overt racism of some blacks is going to be portrayed as acceptable and ok.

    If this was a white person the story would be damning them to hell as racists.


    The act is personal choice..the portrayal of it though is hypocrisy defined.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A family's year of 'buying black'

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    And....try to sell into that community as an outsider. Good luck. The korean community tends generally to "buy korean", which made for all sorts of fun and entertainment in the spring of 1992 here.
    I dunno. I work down in K-town in the wilshire vermont area. I find the Koreans to be pretty open and hospitable.

    Now the Japanese and the Chinese...they're the ones you have to watch. I have worries for them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •