Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

  1. #1
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    The title is another exercise in ridiculous spin, but the content is interesting:

    Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    President Obama promised Monday that he would rarely impose his own interpretation of legislation by attaching statements when he signs bills, pulling back significantly from the controversial use of the tactic by his predecessor, George W. Bush.
    So, Obama criticizes Bush for using signing statements, and then turns around and announces that he will do the exact same thing, but says that he plans to do it less.

    "There is no doubt that the practice of issuing such statements can be abused," Obama said in the memo. "I will issue signing statements to address constitutional concerns only when it is appropriate to do so as a means of discharging my constitutional responsibilities."
    Funny, because that's the exact same rationale that Bush used for issuing his signing statements. I guess it's okay now though, because it's Obama instead of Bush.

    Some aren't buying it though:
    Longtime Bush critics, however, excoriated Obama for failing to put a complete end to the practice.

    "There should be a clean break with the past on this," said Christopher Anders, senior legislative counsel to the American Civil Liberties Union. "The president shouldn't be asserting - as President Bush did - wholesale objections to entire sections of statutes and claiming some kind of presidential authority to ignore them."

    Anders said his group appreciates Obama's pledge to reduce the number of signing statements. But he said the danger remains that, instead of using the statements to provide guidance to government officials, the new president could use them to ignore the will of the Congress.

    Former Bush administration officials said they could detect little difference between Obama's promise and Bush's standards for issuing signing statements.

    "This has been a standard practice going back decades. It's just when President Bush did it, his critics pounced," said former Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer. "They're going to do the same thing, whenever they feel like it."
    And to be fair, Obama didn't pledge to get rid of them entirely:

    Both presidential candidates last year criticized Bush for the practice. Obama accused Bush of attempting to change the meaning of legislation and of trying to thwart enforcement of some statutes. But Obama did not pledge to get rid of the practice, saying at the time that its limited use could help protect a president's "constitutional prerogatives."

    Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said during the campaign that he would never issue a signing statement as president. "Never, never, never, never. If I disagree with a law that passed, I'll veto it," he told the Washington Post.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    But its Obama Right, that naturally means its a CHANGE. It doesn't matter if the facts say its pretty much the same thing as Bush, its Obama so its CHANGE! Get with the program here.

    No surprise here really. The funny thing is a lot of what Bush did that I disliked were more liberal things traditionally (in a modern sense), and it was humerous watching liberals complain about it cause I knew their guys would be chomping at the bit to do the same thing and they'd remain strangely silent.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    This is everything I had hoped for.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    This is yet another issue that will seperate the Democrat partisans (who will ignore this) and the liberal ideologues (who will complain about this).

  5. #5
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    This is yet another issue that will seperate the Democrat partisans (who will ignore this) and the liberal ideologues (who will complain about this).
    Please explain to me the difference between the Democrat partisans and liberal ideologues, and the Republican partisans and conservative ideologues, other than the fact that you support the side of one of them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    BWAHAHAHAHA now a liberal has all that power bush amassed

  7. #7
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Please explain to me the difference between the Democrat partisans and liberal ideologues, and the Republican partisans and conservative ideologues, other than the fact that you support the side of one of them.
    Why? It doesnt change anything I said.

    The people that support The Obama because He is a Democrat will give him a pass on this, without question. The only "change" these people were interested in was the (D) behind The Obama's name.

    The liberals that supported The Obama because He was suppoed to bring 'real change' should be up in arms about this -- and to be fair, may of them will be.

  8. #8
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHA now a liberal has all that power bush amassed
    I'll put you in the "partisan that will give The Obama a pass on this" camp.
    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'll put you in the "partisan that will give The Obama a pass on this" camp.
    Thanks.
    You really need a sense of humor.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Obama to limit signing statements on bills

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Please explain to me the difference between the Democrat partisans and liberal ideologues, and the Republican partisans and conservative ideologues, other than the fact that you support the side of one of them.
    How can you enter a debate and not know something about this?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •