Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

  1. #11
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    I would have no problem with that.
    Even if done while he was sitting as President.
    That's great. I personally feel that other countries shouldn't be using our Presidents as spokesmen for their commercial products without that President's explicit okay to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Nothing about is defamatory except for possibly the words it contains next to the likeness. 'Anti-terrorist.'
    The fact that it depicts our President endorsing a commercial product, a potentially harmful one at that, as if he is some sort of sports figure is defamatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Naming a 'waste treatment plant' after Bush was more defamatory than this ever could be.
    Completely different. That is a US location named after a President. To compare the two Bush would have to have been named after a new PCA disrupted Peanut filled chocolate bar.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #12
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    That's great. I personally feel that other countries shouldn't be using our Presidents as spokesmen for their commercial products without that President's explicit okay to do so.
    If that country has a law against it, fine, if not, there is nothing wrong with it other than a personal 'feeling'.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    The fact that it depicts our President endorsing a commercial product, a potentially harmful one at that, as if he is some sort of sports figure is defamatory.
    The product isn't what may be harmful, it is the toy that accompanies the product that may be. Simply removing the toy removes the potential.
    One, it is a likeness, not an image.
    Two, I am starting to wonder if you know what defamatory actually means, because there is nothing defamatory about it.

    It shows that they like Obama, support Obama and through him, the U.S.
    That in no way is defamatory.

    Do you also think that putting an actual image or likeness of Obama on t-shirts and coins in this Country, to make a profit, is defamatory?

    How about an image or likeness of Chavez?



    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Completely different. That is a US location named after a President. To compare the two Bush would have to have been named after a new PCA disrupted Peanut filled chocolate bar.
    Naming a waste treatment plant, a government building, after a President, in and of it's self, is not defamatory, what made it defamatory was the intent behind such a move.
    But your example is flawed because the product isn't harmful like the recalled peanuts are, and simply naming a peanut filled chocolate bar after a president isn't defamatory.


    So, like I already said: "Naming a 'waste treatment plant' after Bush was more defamatory than this ever could be."

  3. #13
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    And the most important part of the issue here is what are the snacks made of?

    Clearly the article fails to discuss it.

    It is a cookie? A fruit snack? Some kind of candy? Does it taste good?

    Seriously, that's all that matters in a stupid thread like this.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #14
    Advisor Pitwolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-09-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    456

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Some kind of fruitcake with nuts.........


    Sorry, couldn't resist!
    My son: "Mom? Don't you have a butt to fix?"
    كافر

  5. #15
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And the most important part of the issue here is what are the snacks made of?

    Clearly the article fails to discuss it.

    It is a cookie? A fruit snack? Some kind of candy? Does it taste good?

    Seriously, that's all that matters in a stupid thread like this.
    I watched a video. They look something like Planter's Cheez Balls did.

  6. #16
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I don't care it's indonesia. The point is no country should be using our President to promote any commercial goods.

    Would you be OK driving through Vietnam and seeing a large image of Ronald Reagan telling you to buy motor scooters in 3 miles at Quy Kim's motor scooter surplus?

    I wouldn't care. He was just a president not a god.

    You have a commercial product that is potentially harmful to people that has the image of the President of the United States on it subliminally promoting the product. Again, how is that not defamatory?


    the potentially harmful part sure, pull the product, but the name? who cares. we did not elect a king.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #17
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And the most important part of the issue here is what are the snacks made of?

    Clearly the article fails to discuss it.

    It is a cookie? A fruit snack? Some kind of candy? Does it taste good?

    Seriously, that's all that matters in a stupid thread like this.


    yeah, wheather it is an oreo or a bon bon, thats whats important.....



    If you don't like the thread btw, you can stay out of it..... it's called self control, try it sometime.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: 'Obama' snacks don't go down well in Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I don't care it's indonesia. The point is no country should be using our President to promote any commercial goods.

    Would you be OK driving through Vietnam and seeing a large image of Ronald Reagan telling you to buy motor scooters in 3 miles at Quy Kim's motor scooter surplus?


    You have a commercial product that is potentially harmful to people that has the image of the President of the United States on it subliminally promoting the product. Again, how is that not defamatory?
    "Who does this defame"? I don`t see how it defames anyone at all. Who does this inflame? Theres the question. It defames not one entity, but the political, social, and national sensitivities of MANY,are crapped all over with this stupidity. BTW, who decided to sell our half-assed president to the world in the first place, and why ? Try putting Kim Jung Ills face on a chevy add..., you`ve just gotten the true character of Barry snacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •