Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

  1. #11
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Since there are many definitions of Socialism, Hatuey was only asking for a clarification. If zimmer is unable to clarify, then perhaps he does not know what he is talking about.
    Using any definition you like

    That's a ball in hand in billiards. A wide open net in hockey. A slam dunk in hoops or Walter from the 1 in football.

    If you can't score with that "gimme", then you should take up photography or something.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  2. #12
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Using any definition you like

    That's a ball in hand in billiards. A wide open net in hockey. A slam dunk in hoops or Walter from the 1 in football.

    If you can't score with that "gimme", then you should take up photography or something.
    In China, the Chinese Communist Party has led a transition from the command economy of the Mao period to an economic program they term the socialist market economy or "socialism with Chinese characteristics."
    Via Wikipedia on Socialism.

    I'm no econ major, so I don't know exactly how to measure success, but by going by these tables (First website to pop up via google search of "debt by country" the US has 40x the debt that China has, 4.5% of the reserve of foreign exchange/gold, and is not even ranked in the top 100 countries by current account balance, while China has a very sizable lead over every other country.

    Not to mention, we're going through this huge economic crisis that appears to affect the whole world, but does not really seem to hurt China as much.

  3. #13
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Since there are many definitions of Socialism, Hatuey was only asking for a clarification. If zimmer is unable to clarify, then perhaps he does not know what he is talking about.
    Zimmer's historical posting suggests this is indeed true. Furthermore, given history with people who outright refuse to define it, they don't define it so they can change the definition to raise the bar whenever anyone actually does provide an example that refutes their argument.

    Dishonest, but frankly, not surprising.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #14
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Using any definition you like

    That's a ball in hand in billiards. A wide open net in hockey. A slam dunk in hoops or Walter from the 1 in football.

    If you can't score with that "gimme", then you should take up photography or something.
    Sweden. The highway system of America. Police. Firefighters. African pygmy culture. South American Andes villages.

    oh wait. I forgot, you refuse to define "succeed."
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #15
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Can you find one instance it has worked?
    Using any definition you like.

    I leave the world open to you folks... give you the world, and you can't find a significant program or socialist state or institution that works... over the long term.
    Memory short is yours.

    I remember our discussion over this where you deliberately ignored several working examples I gave.

    To refresh your memory, here is the link to that thread.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...ne-time-7.html
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #16
    Advisor Pitwolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-09-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    456

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Can someone tell me what the defininition of "is" is ???
    My son: "Mom? Don't you have a butt to fix?"
    كافر

  7. #17
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitwolfy View Post
    Can someone tell me what the defininition of "is" is ???
    laugh if you want, but discussion is meaningless when people refuse to define key words and criteria. I've seen this before. Someone says something never works but doesn't define it. Then when someone provides a relatively good example that does work the OP then says it doesn't without providing criteria for what constitutes success. This way the OP in this case zimmer can constantly bash Socialism as a failure without ever defining it or saying what success is. There's no value to a discussion like that.

    If people can simply unilaterally redefine words and criteria, why bother talking to them?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Zimmer's historical posting suggests this is indeed true. Furthermore, given history with people who outright refuse to define it, they don't define it so they can change the definition to raise the bar whenever anyone actually does provide an example that refutes their argument.

    Dishonest, but frankly, not surprising.
    I believe I defined it in the thread Zimmer started for anyone who wanted to use the term to defend Socialism. But alas, no one wants to attempt to defend it because Socialism is such a failure.

    ANY Government mandated program can be used as an example of failure; how about Food Stamps, Housing Projects, Social Security and Medicare. Where would you like to start?

    They are all rife with fraud and do NOTHING to improve people's lives but instead create a dependent class of citizens beholding to the Governments largess.

    I am hardly suprised that people who infest this forum with their Socialist blather avoid Zimmers challenge.

  9. #19
    Advisor Pitwolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-09-13 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    456

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    laugh if you want, but discussion is meaningless when people refuse to define key words and criteria. I've seen this before. Someone says something never works but doesn't define it. Then when someone provides a relatively good example that does work the OP then says it doesn't without providing criteria for what constitutes success. This way the OP in this case zimmer can constantly bash Socialism as a failure without ever defining it or saying what success is. There's no value to a discussion like that.

    If people can simply unilaterally redefine words and criteria, why bother talking to them?
    My point was this.......maybe the poster just assumes that one already knows what the definition of socialism is and that the person asking for a definition is just being argumentative and obtuse.

    Just a thought..........

    My son: "Mom? Don't you have a butt to fix?"
    كافر

  10. #20
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Senate Republicans force delay on spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I believe I defined it in the thread Zimmer started for anyone who wanted to use the term to defend Socialism. But alas, no one wants to attempt to defend it because Socialism is such a failure.
    This is incorrect. As evident by his other thread, we have provided several working Socialism models. Apparently he's trying to wash rinse repeat model here hoping no one is going to go back and pull them out again.

    And if Socialism is such a failure, why do you use the police, firefighters and highway systems of America?

    After all, they are communally owned, centrally planned/distributed and for all citizens.

    ANY Government mandated program can be used as an example of failure; how about Food Stamps, Housing Projects, Social Security and Medicare. Where would you like to start?
    Food stamps and housing projects aren't socialism. They are specific welfare to specific groups. Socialism would be applied to the entire society. Furthermore, housing projects are sometimes contracted out removing the centrally planned element of socialism. And Social Security is failing because politicians for decades raided it. There are literally hundreds of billions of dollars that have yet to be repaid represented by IOUs in a filing cabinet in an office across the river. And medicare is also specific to certain groups within a society. Try again.

    I am hardly suprised that people who infest this forum with their Socialist blather avoid Zimmers challenge.
    lol. Jailman and zyplhin are correct about you.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •