Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

  1. #1
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Democrat looking at taxing health benefit | Politics | Reuters


    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A senior Senate Democrat said Tuesday he would consider taxing U.S. workers on their employer-sponsored health insurance to help pay for extending coverage to millions of uninsured Americans.

    Most U.S. workers with health insurance get it through their employers -- 160 million of them -- although recent surveys have shown that number is declining as businesses try to cope with the rapidly rising cost of insurance.

    The employer-provided benefit is not taxed as income and critics say the tax break encourages workers to seek a more generous benefit package than they might want if it was taxed.

    In the budget he submitted to Congress last week, Obama proposed setting aside $634 billion for his promised health care overhaul. He proposed raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to help pay for it.
    This is a subversive move to push people on to government health care by making it way more expensive to be privately insured.

    The government doesn't want an independent populous.

    If you can't take care of yourself don't worry the government will make everyone else pay for it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #2
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Its a horrible idea. McCain campaigned on doing the same thing. It was a bad idea then, and a bad idea now.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #3
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Sorry, but it's not MY job to take care of YOUR health. The fact that individuals in government think that my money should be taken from me and given to someone else is ridiculous.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #4
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    My paycheck gets raped enough in taxes as it is, why the **** should I have to pay for someone's elses insurance.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    I agree with all the above. This is a terrible idea.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #6
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    I am appalled that I'm the first one to agree with this, as this is a big part of the reason that health care benefits became so expensive and inefficient in the first place. This is NOT a terrible idea. This is an excellent idea, as economists of nearly any political stripe will tell you. Allow me to address these points one at a time:

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    This is a subversive move to push people on to government health care by making it way more expensive to be privately insured.
    The only reason health care wound up being the employer's responsibility in the first place was because no one pays taxes on them. The employer gets to deduct the benefits as payroll expenses, and the employee doesn't have to pay income or payroll taxes on them. Obviously this makes no sense, since paying someone in health benefits is no different than paying someone in cash. SOMEONE needs to pay taxes on those benefits to end this atrocious distortion of the market that basically makes it unaffordable for anyone to buy health insurance on their own, and makes people completely dependent on their employer even if they hate their job and would be much more efficient doing something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla
    If you can't take care of yourself don't worry the government will make everyone else pay for it.
    This is the essence of government and has been for millennia.

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123
    My paycheck gets raped enough in taxes as it is, why the **** should I have to pay for someone's elses insurance.
    I'm OK with making this "revenue-neutral"...sort of. I would support cutting payroll taxes by an appropriate amount to compensate for the tax increase on health benefits. The important thing in this particular case is to end the market distortion, not to generate more revenue. We certainly need to generate more revenue as well, but that's a different story.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #7
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I am appalled that I'm the first one to agree with this, as this is a big part of the reason that health care benefits became so expensive and inefficient in the first place. This is NOT a terrible idea. This is an excellent idea, as economists of nearly any political stripe will tell you. Allow me to address these points one at a time:
    I am reluctant to accept any plan that will have me paying for the health benefits of someone who chooses not work and earn their own way (welfare).

    At the same time I am very much open to anything that can remove the health industry from being dominated by high paying insurance companies focused on keeping health care at a price so outrageous that the average American has no possible chances to have health care without paying an insurance company.

    My wife recently had minor knee surgery that lasted 8 minutes. The medical bill if we didn't have insurance would have $23,000. That is freaking ridiculous.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-04-09 at 06:14 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  8. #8
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    We shouldn't have to pay any taxes on healthcare period.

    We have an outstanding healthcare system, the best in the world, and it works perfectly fine for those of us who are responsible enough to purchase it.

    The increasing healthcare costs that we, the responsible people are being burdened with, is from the irresponsible who sponge off the system, and are coddled by the liberals who dupe them in believing they are entitled to free healthcare, in exchange for their vote.

    We already have free healthcare in this country, it's called the County Health Department.

    Here's the Dade-Miami County Health Department.

    Take a second to look at all the services they offer.

    We could easily bring healthcare costs under control, if hospitals were allowed to refer non emergency situations to county health departments.

    Emergency treatments could be billed to the county.

    Furthermore, the treatment of illegal aliens should be on a cash and carry basis.

    We cannot continue to give free healthcare to people who are here illegally.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  9. #9
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I am appalled that I'm the first one to agree with this, ...
    And I am appalled by your following statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is NOT a terrible idea.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ... as this is a big part of the reason that health care benefits became so expensive and inefficient in the first place.
    I disagree.
    The it is a minor problem that could have been solved with a totally free market system.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is an excellent idea, as economists of nearly any political stripe will tell you.
    Yeah ok.
    Just as economists of nearly every political stripe will tell you otherwise.




    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The only reason health care wound up being the employer's responsibility in the first place was because no one pays taxes on them.
    Resposibility?
    Not a responsibility but what the tax code allowed and therefore implemented by employers to make a business more competitive.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is the essence of government and has been for millennia.
    No it isn't, and hasn't, been.
    The essence of Government is to 'govern', not 'take care of', or provide 'support' to it's citizens.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Democrat looking at taxing health benefit

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    We have an outstanding healthcare system, the best in the world, and it works perfectly fine for those of us who are responsible enough to purchase it.
    Other the the outrageous healthcare prices driven up by insurance companies to increase their market share, I agree we do have an outstanding quality of health care.

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Furthermore, the treatment of illegal aliens should be on a cash and carry basis.

    We cannot continue to give free healthcare to people who are here illegally.
    So do you deny someone health care until they can be proven to be a citizen of the United States and/or have health care coverage? What about in an emergency life/death situation (ex: person brought in from an accident)?
    Last edited by Gibberish; 03-04-09 at 06:59 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •