Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Link
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quoted from article(Christian churches were long hostile to Darwin because his theory conflicted with the literal biblical account of creation.)

    Be interesting to see how they word there way around Darwin's Theory.

    Quote(Yet as recently as 2006 a leading Catholic Cardinal, Christoff Schoenborn, of Vienna, a former student and friend of Pope Benedict XVI caused controversy by saying that Darwin's theory of natural selection was incompatible with Christian belief.

    A leading American scholar of biology, Prof Francisco Ayala, plans to tell the conference that the so-called theory of intelligent design, proposed by Creationists, is flawed.

    "The design of organisms is not what would be expected from an intelligent engineer, but imperfect and worse," he said.

    "Defects, dysfunctions, oddities, waste and cruelty pervade the living world".)

    Some of the most dysfunctional organisms seem at the moment to be in charge of the Vatican.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quoted from article(Christian churches were long hostile to Darwin because his theory conflicted with the literal biblical account of creation.)

    Be interesting to see how they word there way around Darwin's Theory.

    Quote(Yet as recently as 2006 a leading Catholic Cardinal, Christoff Schoenborn, of Vienna, a former student and friend of Pope Benedict XVI caused controversy by saying that Darwin's theory of natural selection was incompatible with Christian belief.

    A leading American scholar of biology, Prof Francisco Ayala, plans to tell the conference that the so-called theory of intelligent design, proposed by Creationists, is flawed.

    "The design of organisms is not what would be expected from an intelligent engineer, but imperfect and worse," he said.

    "Defects, dysfunctions, oddities, waste and cruelty pervade the living world".)

    Some of the most dysfunctional organisms seem at the moment to be in charge of the Vatican.
    The Catholic Church's science department(what's it called?) and even the recently deceased John Paul II have all pretty much acknowledged that evolution is no longer a mere theory. This isn't as good as acknowledging evolution for the fact that it is BUT we are talking about the Vatican here. Not exactly the most progressive group on Earth. The former director of their observatory has even gone on record as saying that creationism is NOT a scientific theory. But as far as the Vatican goes :

    Pope John Paul II :

    Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies -- which was neither planned nor sought -- constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."[9]

    Fr. Coyne former Chief Astronomer for the Vatican :

    ntelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be. If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science.

    I don't know the new pope's clear stance on evolution but if this :

    We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the 'project' of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary -- rather than mutually exclusive -- realities.

    Is anything to go by then he is keeping in line with his predecessor. Not really acknowledging evolution as a fact but avoiding confrontation by giving the scientific community the benefit of doubt.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Their thoughts on masturbation:

    masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action.
    -Catechism of the Catholic Faith

    nuff said.

  4. #4
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Of course ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church has a long history of supporting and promoting science - but of course facts like that don't get in the way of some people's bigotry regarding the Church.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Darwinists don't think their belief can coexist with Creation, so they spend all of their waking moments trying to argue over it. They can deny God all they want, but they cannot argue about a beginning since their belief doesn't establish one.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Darwinists don't think their belief can coexist with Creation, so they spend all of their waking moments trying to argue over it. They can deny God all they want, but they cannot argue about a beginning since their belief doesn't establish one.
    Oh that's right, Conservatives believe the earth is 5,000 years old. Sorry to disillusion you, but it's the Creationists who can't find a way to justify God's hand in natural selection. That's why opposition to Darwin is a test of faith. Believers in evolution don't "deny God", they recognize that Darwin just found a way to explain his handiwork.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Of course ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church has a long history of supporting and promoting science - but of course facts like that don't get in the way of some people's bigotry regarding the Church.
    The Catholic Church supports science that doesn't contradict what they believe. That is not supporting science. Supporting science is seeing the evidence, analyzing it and ignoring the religious dogma that it contradicts. The Catholic Church can not in ANY real sense of the word 'promote and support' 'science'. It can promote and support that which does not come into conflict with what it believes as a religious institution.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-03-09 at 09:58 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #8
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Darwinists
    What the hell is a "Darwinist?"

    I'm pretty much assuming you don't have a single clue that much of what Darwin wrote in Origin of Species is not part of the Theory of evolution.

    don't think their belief can coexist with Creation, so they spend all of their waking moments trying to argue over it.
    Actually you are improperly classifying everyone who accepts evolution as Dawkins followers. Evolution does not discussion God or lack of God anywhere in the theory.

    They can deny God all they want, but they cannot argue about a beginning since their belief doesn't establish one.
    Actually they can. They can discuss the inherent logic of believers, especially those who accept Intelligent Design through the God of the Gaps argument.

    That's three strikes in your argument. You're out.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    This is proof. The catholic church(and I mean their administration, rather than the whole church itself) is hogwash. This constant "Darwin was evil, Evolution is wrong, Darwinism is bad, Oh but hey, let's host a Darwin conference and kiss up to evolutionists and pretend we are actually doing something to learn the way these non-christian scientists want us to learn". That tactic is the only one that I can say is blatantly underhanded, AND STUPID. For the sake of the catholic church, they need to impeach their pope and do away with all these 'cardinal' peoples.

  10. #10
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 09:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Of course ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church has a long history of supporting and promoting science - but of course facts like that don't get in the way of some people's bigotry regarding the Church.
    As long as it doesn't get in the way of Church dogma - ie, what's the catholic church's position on stem cell research again? What did the Church say of Galileo? Why did Copernicus wait until his death bed to publish solar centricity?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •