Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

  1. #31
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I'm sorry to butt into an argument between you and someone else, but I'd like you to prove this assertion with evidence. Given the number of people tried for heresey over the years by the Catholic Church, I don't think they harboured very much openness about scientific inquiry.
    There is a lot to prove it. Start by looking at the book "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. Ph.D.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #32
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I'm sorry to butt into an argument between you and someone else, but I'd like you to prove this assertion with evidence. Given the number of people tried for heresey over the years by the Catholic Church, I don't think they harboured very much openness about scientific inquiry.
    You mean a figure that was rivalled by the Jacobins in a few years? And I suppose liberalism is still allowed to be open and "scientific"?
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludahai
    There is a lot to prove it. Start by looking at the book "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods, Jr. Ph.D.
    No. I won't read a book and make your argument for you. If there is such a wealth of evidence (as you claimed) to prove the Church did not conduct one-sided and brutal interrogations against scientists who challenged their views as well as political executions of heretics, then you should be able to find plenty of worthy citations online to bring here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman
    You mean a figure that was rivalled by the Jacobins in a few years? And I suppose liberalism is still allowed to be open and "scientific"?
    I'm not sure what the Jacobins have to do with the atrocities of the Catholic Church along with its impedements against science? If you are trying to quantify atrocities in order to downplay the ones committed by the Church, I don't really see the point. Two wrongs don't make a right.

  4. #34
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    No. I won't read a book and make your argument for you. If there is such a wealth of evidence (as you claimed) to prove the Church did not conduct one-sided and brutal interrogations against scientists who challenged their views as well as political executions of heretics, then you should be able to find plenty of worthy citations online to bring here.

    .
    I don't have the time right now. THis is the problem with the Internet. People get lazy and have forgotten that scholarly books are FAR superior as sources than the Internet. You are afraid because it will back up my point?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I don't have the time right now. THis is the problem with the Internet. People get lazy and have forgotten that scholarly books are FAR superior as sources than the Internet. You are afraid because it will back up my point?
    Then you shouldn't log onto a debate forum and post assertions that you are unwilling to back up. It's not my problem, it's yours.

    Proper citation requires you to cite a source as well as a page number and line. Citing an entire book whose materials and information you yourself cannot even quote is insufficient and poor debate style. No university would allow such citation methods, as no person in their right mind would read an entire book and validate your points for you.

    In your original claim you said that there is a wealth of historical evidence to prove that the Catholic Church supported science. You have made this same assertion in other threads where the Catholich Church has come under attack. If the evidence is so obvious then you should have no problem taking 5 minutes to find a link. Otherwise, I will accept your assertion as an opinion and will thus dismiss it as unverifiable.

  6. #36
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Then you shouldn't log onto a debate forum and post assertions that you are unwilling to back up. It's not my problem, it's yours.
    I did back it up. BOOKS are superior to Internet citations. You are not exactly backing up YOUR point in another thread, so this whole line you are pursuing is rather hypocritical.

    Proper citation requires you to cite a source as well as a page number and line. Citing an entire book whose materials and information you yourself cannot even quote is insufficient and poor debate style. No university would allow such citation methods, as no person in their right mind would read an entire book and validate your points for you.
    Except that the ENTIRE book is about what we are talking about. The ENTIRE BOOK is full of instances where the Catholic Church supported science and learning. However, Chapters 4 and 5 are most relevant as they relate to science.

    In your original claim you said that there is a wealth of historical evidence to prove that the Catholic Church supported science. You have made this same assertion in other threads where the Catholich Church has come under attack. If the evidence is so obvious then you should have no problem taking 5 minutes to find a link. Otherwise, I will accept your assertion as an opinion and will thus dismiss it as unverifiable.
    I have already offerred some proof. WHen and if I Have time, I will look up Internet references, but I have other priorities and only have a little time today due to inclimate weather. However, as the rain has just about ended, I will soon get back to my training program, which with the trials coming soon, preparing for them is far more important than a debate here.

    BTW - ever heard of the Jesuits?
    Last edited by ludahai; 03-07-09 at 03:35 AM.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #37
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    If the Church was against Copernicus and Science, why was he invited to participate in the calendar reform taken out by the Fifth Lateran Council?

    In this same period, he (Copernicus) took part in the Fifth Lateran Council's commission on calendar reform in 1515; wrote a treatise on monetary reform; and shortly thereafter, began his major work, De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres).
    link
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #38
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    Catholic priests were instrumental in the development of the telescope.

    The scientists who had the greatest influence on the future of optics and telescope construction from Galileo's day were Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, Wilebrord Snell, Father Marin Mersenne, Father Bonaventura Cavalieri, Father Christopher Scheiner and Father Christopher Grienberger. The first three developed a theoretical foundation for refraction and reflection that would be built upon in the following centuries. The four fathers made critical contributions to the technology of telescopes. All of their contributions are still in use today.
    link

    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Christopher Clavius
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #39
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican hosts Darwin conference

    In fact, the whole concept of the scientific method emerged from the West largely because of the CATHOLIC view of the world compared to what existed elsewhere. The Catholics were not only NOT anti-science, but the worldview of Catholicism ENCOURAGED its development

    Read up on the writings of Father Stanley Jaki.

    The Origin of Science
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •