Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 212

Thread: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Hmmm, McCain lost the election. I've stated time and time again on this forum, McCain wasn't my choice, didn't vote for him either.
    You said though and I quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    The Republican mindset is to elect a candidate who best represents our political views.
    So since the MAJORITY of Republicans picked McCain in the primaries, your ASSumption is FALSE. Not surprising.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 03-02-09 at 08:35 PM.

  2. #162
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    That's fine. I've found that some seem to be claiming a huge 'mandate' for Obama, as if this election were in some way a defining moment in American politics. Based on the evidence so far, it's not. Obama defeated an extremely weak GOP opponent by a margin that is average, at best, in historical terms.
    Well I certainly don't subscribe to the "mandate" position, just that he did well. We disagree a bit and that is fine.

    I
    want to focus on this particular point because you've made it several times, and I believe it flies in the face of fact. To describe McCain's choice by GOP voters in the primaries as 'overwhelming' simply misses the boat. Here's a link to the primary results in the event you'd like to refresh your memory: Republican Primary Results National: 2008 Elections - AOL News McCain slowly gathered up victories until all the other candidates pulled out. His final tally of 47% of the primary vote, (something a bit less than overwhelming), was largely built up after all other candidates were out of the race. Unlike Obama and Hillary who were fighting neck-and-neck down to the wire. So yes, McCain was something of a 'default candidate.' He was never able to energize the party during the general election, despite, or because of his curious pick for running mate. And his idiotic floundering during the first bail-out bill sealed his fate. Any Democrat would have won this race. Any Democrat.
    Your theory here only supports my position. He beat the crap out of every other candidate by a a minimum 2+ to1 margin. You call that what you want, but overwhelming is an apt description relatively speaking. Nobody even got close to McCain as a viable alternative candidate. Again, we are just going to disagree on this.

    Again, your characterization of John McCain as a 'knight in shining armor' comes from thin air, as far as I can tell. I don't know any Republicans who were ardent McCain supporters. Most of the arguments in his favor were of the 'vote for the lesser of two evils' type.
    Well I don't know where you're from and any of the Republicans you know, but the primary numbers show that the vast majority of Republicans wanted the moderate McCain as their man as evidenced by his very handy defeat of his fellow Republicans...who were conservatives. The GOP picked their man and that pick left the conservatives frustrated and wanting.

    We'd have had 'change' this election no matter which candidate won. If McCain had miraculously pulled out a victory, we'd be hearing from liberals that the conservative base of the GOP was dead. The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed after every election is that win or lose, each side will continue spinning their spin. There's one other thing that's guaranteed after each election... partisans on one side or the other drinks a little too much of their own Kool-Aid in the celebrating. For years or eight years later... the tables are turned.
    I can agree with you on this.

    Nothing new here. Nothing new at all.

    Not really new, no. But interesting because of how the primary worked out. There are marked differences in the candidate the GOP put forward and what the conservative element wanted. That is very interesting because it indicates that conservative influence didn't carry anywhere close to it's traditional weight. Why is that?
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #163
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    07-22-11 @ 04:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    58

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    A little while back Obama responded directly to Rush saying something like "you can't listen Rush Limbaugh and get things done." At the time I figured it was stupid of Obama because responding to Rush would essentially be legitimizing him. There was a thread about it and I think a few people felt the same way. What did he have to gain from even acknowledging , Rush 's mouthpiece even exists? As time went on more people starting talking about the GOP leadership vaccum. Nobody had really stepped up to become the voice of the party. It hindsight I'm starting to think it was actually a calculated move by the Democrats. Rush Limbaugh as the voice of the Republican party is strategically desirable because every time he opens his mouth he makes conservatism look utterly retarded to everyone except the GOP rank and file. He's a polarizing figure and he'll push moderates away.

    It looks like things are starting to heat up...
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link



    Obama should have left Rush alone.
    Last edited by theTANTALIZER; 03-02-09 at 08:56 PM.

  4. #164
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Nice. More in depth commentary.
    Indeed. The Good Reverends word is the gospel in the post of his that I quoted.

    Like I've said several times over multiple posts, some liberals are clueless, and some will never get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Right, like John McCain.
    Wrong, I didn't vote for him, like millions of other Americans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Okay, who would that be in this case? Who did the Republicans oust?
    All the Republicans who lost their seats in '06 and '08, based on their behavior over the last 8 years. They didn't get the votes by angry Republicans, they sold us out, we shoved them out, by not voting for them.

    You'll never get it, your sig shows the democratic mentality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    So are you calling Bush a crook?
    You betcha, he sold me out on immigration reform, the creation of DHS (expanded government) and not vetoing bills that had runaway spending attatched to them by both parties.

    I said at the beginning, you'd never get it...lol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Yes, terrified.
    Yes, terror-fied. New term, obviously way above your head. Here I'll explain it to you...

    Ready? O.K.

    The new adminstration under Obama won't use the word terror/terrorist.

    Yet they're "terrorfied" of a talk show host....lmao

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No spin. Your boy Obama and his goon are on TV whining about Rush Limbaugh, a talk show host.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I think...
    Obviously you don't. Your post is just another cluster **** of bloviated hot air.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  5. #165
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So since the MAJORITY of Republicans picked McCain in the primaries, your ASSumption is FALSE. Not surprising.
    I assumed nothing. If you'd actually try to follow along on this forum, you would have seen the Republican party before the election, were not happy with ANY of the choices being presented.

    McCain pretty much won the primary because he was the lesser of the evils, NOT because Republicans were rejoicing in his nomination.

    Try to stay focused. The thread is about Limbaugh supposedly "rallying", not about McCain.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

  6. #166
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link



    Obama should have left Rush alone.
    Rush Limbaugh quotes the Constitution at CPAC:

    "Life, liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness...."

    2 problems with that:

    1) These words are from the Declaration of independence, not the Constitution.

    2) The word "Freedom" is not part of that sentence from the Declaration of Independence. Our founding fathers used the the word "Liberty" alone, which means the same thing.

    Nobody is picking on Rush Limbaugh. He is showing his own ignorance without any help from Obama or anyone else.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-02-09 at 09:09 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    I assumed nothing. If you'd actually try to follow along on this forum, you would have seen the Republican party before the election, were not happy with ANY of the choices being presented.
    It's funny though because REPUBLICANS PICKED THEM.

    If you REPUBLICANS didn't want them, why did you pick them to even run for the primaries? lol.

    Now go run away like you normally do pretending nothing happened

    This is funny as hell.

    If Republicans picked McCain as the lesser of the evils presented in the primaries, why did REPUBLICANS pick those choices in the first place?

    According to you Republicans elect those closest to their political ideals, so McCain was the choice of those ideals ACCORDING TO YOUR LOGIC because those choices are the ones the Republicans PICKED to run in the primaries.

    At this point Gotta, the honorable thing is just to admit Republicans don't elect those with their ideals since the whole Primary listing you guys were presented with were chosen by REPUBLICANS lol.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 03-02-09 at 09:22 PM.

  8. #168
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    Indeed. The Good Reverends word is the gospel in the post of his that I quoted.

    Like I've said several times over multiple posts, some liberals are clueless, and some will never get it.


    Wrong, I didn't vote for him, like millions of other Americans.
    No, I'm quite right. The REPUBLICANS picked John McCain, they rallied around him, and they showed up in traditional numbers at the polls to vote. This is documented statistically. The angry conservative base may not have went to the polls or voted third party, but their absence wasn't missed statistically speaking. Your assumptions about what millions of other people thought and did or didn't do is noted however.


    All the Republicans who lost their seats in '06 and '08, based on their behavior over the last 8 years. They didn't get the votes by angry Republicans, they sold us out, we shoved them out, by not voting for them.
    Right, so you're proposing that the angry Republicans ousted their own party and gave the House and the Senate away? Well, I'm not sure what's more absurd...the notion that's how it happened or the Republican strategy your touting. Whatever it is, please...stick with it.

    You'll never get it, your sig shows the democratic mentality.
    You're right, I'll never get what it is your preaching because it's not realistic. And my sig is a reference to a bet I made during the election. I was right.
    You betcha, he sold me out on immigration reform, the creation of DHS (expanded government) and not vetoing bills that had runaway spending attatched to them by both parties.
    Well I like what your saying here. So how did you feel about the rest of your party turning on you?

    I said at the beginning, you'd never get it...lol..
    Yeah you did say that.
    Yes, terror-fied. New term, obviously way above your head. Here I'll explain it to you...

    Ready? O.K.
    Is that like "strategery?"

    The new adminstration under Obama won't use the word terror/terrorist.
    Really? They won't?

    Yet they're "terrorfied" of a talk show host....lmao
    Oh my god you're right it is so funny the way you say that!

    No spin. Your boy Obama and his goon are on TV whining about Rush Limbaugh, a talk show host.
    Whining, lol...okay.
    Obviously you don't. Your post is just another cluster **** of bloviated hot air.
    You are an awful angry person.
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #169
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHurt View Post
    I assumed nothing. If you'd actually try to follow along on this forum, you would have seen the Republican party before the election, were not happy with ANY of the choices being presented.
    That's pretty convenient for you to assume. Because this forum constitutes the nexus of all things Republican. Now again I ask, if what you are saying is the case, how did that happen if the GOP is in such good shape? Is this more of the Republican "we'll run our own kind out of town" strategy for winning political office?
    McCain pretty much won the primary because he was the lesser of the evils, NOT because Republicans were rejoicing in his nomination.
    No, McCain pretty much won the primary because the majority of Republicans wanted him as their candidate. You've yet to offer up a valid, substantial alternative reason as to why he beat two allegedly conservative candidates in Romney and Huckabee. And I don't know if you watched the RNC this last year or not, I didn't see any stern and glum faces there. Were they just going to wait to employ their strategy of ousting Republicans who sell them out until after the election or what? Poor McCain...never saw it coming did he? I can just imagine his shock at learning the Republicans didn't really want him as their candidate when they elected him as their candidate.

    Try to stay focused. The thread is about Limbaugh supposedly "rallying", not about McCain.
    Yes, if I was trying to avoid dealing with the condition of the Republican party I would avoid the McCain Incident altogether.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #170
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Rush Limbaugh quotes the Constitution at CPAC:

    "Life, liberty, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness...."

    2 problems with that:

    1) These words are from the Declaration of independence, not the Constitution.

    2) The word "Freedom" is not part of that sentence from the Declaration of Independence. Our founding fathers used the the word "Liberty" alone, which means the same thing.

    Nobody is picking on Rush Limbaugh. He is showing his own ignorance without any help from Obama or anyone else.
    It's stuff like this as well as his hyper partisan schtick that make him such a terrible symbol to rally the conservative base. There is no rule that I am aware of that says the conservatives have to be ugly like Rush.
    *insert profound statement here*

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •