Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

  1. #21
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Democrats have always supported the winner of the presidential election, even when that election was stolen.
    Most people wait until their thread has developed a little before self-sodomizing their credibility.
    Not you! Congrats for that!

  2. #22
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Semantics = Roses are red. Roses are FF0000.

    Not semantics = Roses are always red. Roses are 00FF00.

    Get it?

    Irrellevant.




    So you standard for 'support' is always?
    Extremist logic. It is more than "once" or even "rarely".





    I never claimed otherwise. Good to see you admit you were wrong too
    that must be some good **** you got there.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #23
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    This sh*t is so stupid, I feel like I'm reading Miley Cyrus's Facebook page, not Debate Politics Breaking News.
    The article cited quotes a respected Republican who laments that members of his party no longer seem capable of contributing to the balance of government. The evidence of that refusal is clear, the Republican strategy is to obstruct the president's efforts to clean up the Republican mess, use the Republican propoganda machine to convince America that the president is incompetent, then resume governing the nation in four years, using the same failed policies that have proven to be failures.

    For eight years America has been governed by the intellectual equivelant of Miley Cyrus. Now the adults have regained the majority, but the whining conservatives who brought us to this mess refuse to help clean it up.

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And why may you ask? Well let's see. The complete false premise under which the war was started. The complete mishandling of the war by Rumsfeld. An either 'you're with us or with the terrorists' mentality by America's right wing.



    I've got no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the false assertion that Democrats & Liberals NEVER supported Bush. It is simply not backed up by the evidence. FFS the Iraq war was passed with 50% Democrat support in Congress and so was the Patriot Act. It's VERY dishonest to claim that Democrats and Liberals 'never' supported Bush like the so many right wingers claim.
    I won't argue that Rumsfeld made some big mistakes, but there was more going on behind the scenes than merely disagreeing on the number of troops needed. Handicapped by a 8 year funding and personnel draw down under Clinton (which I personally witnessed), and attempting to impliment a new post-cold war military doctrine to combat assymetric warfare, Rumsfeld had his hands full. You need to give him a little credit for trying to execute this monumental task, while fighting a war. I have no doubt that many of the generals from the Bush 41 cold war era were not always onboard with this plan. Not a war has been fought without mistakes, so let's try to keep that in perspective. Anyway my apologies for participating in this off topic sidebar.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    As usual, you resort to name calling instead of even reading the link provided.

    President George W. Bush, though denied a plurality of the vote in 2000, nonetheless gained some Democrats’ cooperation in passing tax cuts and his No Child Left Behind education plan.
    You're really just floundering in this thread. You don't address Hautey's graph showing half the country disapproving of Bush (with half not voting for him to its logical to guess most of those are democrats).

    You quote the Tax Cuts as a reference to how the Republicans have acted in the first month? The tax cuts came about in 2003? Perhaps we should wait 2 years to see if we can cherry pick a single thing that Republicans join with Obama on. though...what was the votes on that tax cut again....

    House
    Republicans 224 Yays 1 Nays
    Democrats 7 Yays 198 Nays

    Hmm...96% of the democrats in the House voted against the Tax Cuts. Boy oh Boy Will! You certainly found one proving that Democrats were supporting Bush. Maybe the Senate will save you?

    Senate
    Republicans 48 Yays 3 Nays
    Democrats 2 Yays 46 Nays

    Wow, 96% again! Who'd have thunk it.

    So essentially what you'er saying is it needs 3 to 4% or Republicans supporting something Obama does for it to be considered cutting the President some slack?

    Lets look at the Stimulus Bill in the Senate shall we?

    Senate
    Republicans 3 Yays 38 Nays
    Democrats 55 Yays 0 Nays

    Hey...that's only 92% of republicans voting nay. That's 8% of them voting yay.

    By YOUR presented logic, the Republicans are actually cutting Obama MORE slack than Bush!

    Yes, No Child Left Behind was voted largely by both parties and written by people from both Parties. However, to my knowledge, a high profile republican (like Ted Kennedy was for Democrats) has not been contacted to work together in a close and equal footing way for some piece of semi-major legislation yet in Obama's term to truly compare this too.

    Sorry Will, but your point is simply not factually accurate.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Democrats have always supported the winner of the presidential election, even when that election was stolen. But Republicans have decided to obstruct and bring down the president simply because he is not a Republican.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/we...l?ref=politics
    What a pile of Liberal bile. But then facts have never been your forte'. The ONLY one who attempted to steal an election was the dumbest man in America, Al Gore, who attempted to disenfranchise the voters of Florida by divining votes through hanging chads.

    The second pile of Liberal bile is the idiotic notion that Republicans can obstruct Obama’s agenda to destroy the American economy; Republicans can’t do anything to stop the steamroller that will roll over the American economy using fear mongering tactics to expand Leftist political policies.


  7. #27
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You're really just floundering in this thread. You don't address Hautey's graph showing half the country disapproving of Bush .
    Hautey's graph demonstrates the erosion of public support for the Bush administration. This OP relates to the policy of the Republican party, decided during the first week of the Obama administration, to obstruct the governing party and actively work for its failure.
    Name for me one Republican administration in history in which the Democratic party "hoped for its failure", and pledged from inauguration day to obstruct and bring down?

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Unification. You mean support for the President? Did I get the wrong chart? Or does my chart say 'Percentage of Americans Unified'?

    - With a 90% approval rating. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the majority of liberals supported him. Or are you waiting for that magical 100% nobody ever got?
    What the graph shows is that Liberals only suspended their campaign of ignorance against this President for a few short months post 9-11. To suggest that there was 90% approval for Bush pre-9-11 is as specious as most of your desperate attempts to rationalize Liberal ignorance are.

    The deterioration if his approval were due to the campaign of ignorance waged against this President by the Liberal media giants led by none other than the New York Times which did a fantastic job of dis-informing a gullible American public.

    Carry on; you're desperate flailing of the facts is truly a trait of Liberals everywhere.

  9. #29
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    I bet there would be a better Obama approval rating if he nuked Chicago.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Cutting the President Slack Is So Old School

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Hautey's graph demonstrates the erosion of public support for the Bush administration. This OP relates to the policy of the Republican party, decided during the first week of the Obama administration, to obstruct the governing party and actively work for its failure.
    Name for me one Republican administration in history in which the Democratic party "hoped for its failure", and pledged from inauguration day to obstruct and bring down?
    Yes, it demonstrates that after 9/11.

    It ALSO demonstrates that from the onset of being elected until 9/11, he had roughly 50% approval by Americans...roughly the same amount that elected him. There wasn't some bit "cutting of slack" on Bush when he first got in, it was still split down partisan lines in regards to peoples views of what Bush was doing and support for it.

    And yes, I understand that the OP is focusing on the Republicans, but it is doing so by saying they're acting different than Democrats did. That is just not factually correct. You and your article quote the Tax Cuts as evidence of this, but the Tax Cuts had LESS democrats support than the Economic Stimulus had republican support!

    Show me an official statement by the Republican party stating their goal is "from inauguration day to obstruct and bring down" this administration. Present me one single official source?

    You won't find it, because its not there. What you can provide is anecdotal...and in some ways I'd agree, there ARE some people that are hoping for this administrations failure and hoping to obstruct it, be it because of partisan reasons in regards to elections or because they honestly believe that the things this administration wants are bad for this country.

    HOWEVER

    That anecdotal is NO DIFFERENT then the things done by Democrats within the first weeks and months of Bush's presidency. Bush was not having huge support in Congress for his things at the start of his Presidency. Even later with things like the Tax Cuts, he had no more support than Obama does now.

    Your article is bunk, because its trying to rewrite history, and you're trying to do the same. Its sad pathetic piece of writing that shows the obvious partisan blinders or willful ignorance of history by the writer and people like you who are stating it as true.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •