Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 142

Thread: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

  1. #81
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    How pathetic. You post a blog comment to prove me that I am wrong on something I am right about also. Just like you always try to prove me wrong. Its a FACT that average European broadband speeds are better than American ones, and its a FACT that Japanese broadband speeds are better than European ones. You can deny that until you are blue and green and red like you always deny what I am saying. But you are just lying to yourself like usual.


    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    You've advanced this uninformed trope several times throughout this thread, while missing a huge point. Obama never said a thing about withdrawing all the US troops from Iraq. He talked about withdrawing all COMBAT troops. Guess what? That would still leave approx. 90k troops there, so don't count on the Iraq war costs to be coming off the books yet. (And that's not even counting the surge in Afghanistan.)
    No matter IF that is true or IF he is withdrawing all troops, again you fail to see the point of even mentioning the withdrawal of troops, which as I said would be saving the US a lot of money. But again, you do have some trouble of seeing context when I am posting, perhaps its too complicated for you?



    Also all the other "factual inaccuracies" that you commented on, as far as I could see was just your petty attempt to be right when you are wrong, yet again, because they were actually right, and you wrong. Like usual.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #82
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Hmmm? What did you say?

    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2186rank.html



    If only we were as smart as the Europeans.
    I am not only criticizing the US about the debt situation. I am criticizing all the loser countries that cannot run surpluses, which is a situation created by the moron capitalist system.. All nations SHOULD run surpluses and save money for time of crisis for example, and build up state funds rather than state debt. Thats just how it must and will be, inevitable, eventually.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #83
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,720
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I am criticizing all the loser countries that cannot run surpluses, which is a situation created by the moron capitalist system.. All nations SHOULD run surpluses and save money for time of crisis for example, and build up state funds rather than state debt. Thats just how it must and will be, inevitable, eventually.
    Dreamer.
    Wrong.
    Government does too much and is too greedy.

    Government spends everything it can get and then some.
    "Surplus" means the people are overtaxed.

    Tell me, where is our Social Security Lockbox funds?
    We do not have one.
    It's a Ponzi Scheme.

    Government's role is not to play Mommy Dearest.
    Its job is not to pick winners and loser but to ensure a level playing field for participants.

    The best thing is to abolish the income tax as it is and replace it with a simple flat tax or consumption tax.

    The government should be fearful it won't have money beyond defense, intel and policing. Most everything else is pure waste; social engineering.
    Last edited by zimmer; 02-24-09 at 08:17 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  4. #84
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,610

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    What kind of Voodoo math does Obama believe in?
    Voodoo economics? NOT!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #85
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Dreamer.
    Wrong.
    Government does too much and is too greedy.
    nice bumper sticker...is that the extent of your knowledge?

    Government spends everything it can get and then some.
    "Surplus" means the people are overtaxed.
    It's called a deficit. Didn't Reagan teach you that deficits don't matter?
    Tell me, where is our Social Security Lockbox funds?
    We do not have one.
    It's a Ponzi Scheme.
    Bush spent it. That was the 2 trillion dollar surplus he started his regime with back in 2001. Conservative economics made it disappear quick

    Government's role is not to play Mommy Dearest.
    Its job is not to pick winners and loser but to ensure a level playing field for participants.
    Only government will take the responsibility to insure the poorest citizens are able to support their family.

    The best thing is to abolish the income tax as it is and replace it with a simple flat tax or consumption tax.
    There is no such thing as a simple flat tax. In the case of a small business owner, just defining where income begins is a complex issue

    The government should be fearful it won't have money beyond defense, intel and policing. Most everything else is pure waste; social engineering.
    short-sighted Libertarian philosophy, which if actually practiced would eliminate roads, public services, Social Security, Medicare, education......

  6. #86
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,186

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Hmmm? What did you say?

    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2186rank.html



    If only we were as smart as the Europeans.
    CIA fact book? Give me a break. Try looking at the IMF or OECD. According to the OECD, the US government liabilities in % of nominel GDP of 62.9% in 2007 projected to rise to near 80% this year. While some countries had more in Europe and especially Japan, quite a few had far less..including the UK, Spain, all Scandinavia countries and a considerable number of the rest of Europe.

    If you look at the IMF version you get nearly the same picture for the limited number of countries they do look at.

    The only source that remotely backs your claim up is the CIA fact book...

    As for you broadband BS. Again the statistics work against you. Again look at the OECD Broadband portal. American's might use the internet more than Europeans, but that does not mean that your connections are better.. in fact they are worse than quite a few European countries and far more expensive.

    Some basic statistics. Countries ahead of the US on broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants. Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Sweden, Korea, Finland, Luxenbourg, Canada, UK, Belgium, France, Germany... yes 14 nations are ahead of the US. Even with broadband access, the US lags behind countries like Denmark, Finland, UK, Canada, Norway, Sweden and some asian countries. And Germany, France and Spain are not far behind the US.

    In every broadband statistic the US is no where near the top.
    PeteEU

  7. #87
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,001

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by Nep188 View Post
    So you're saying this isn't as bad of an economic downturn as it would be if we let the free market run it's own course? You sir, are completely incorrect. Before we became a "mixed" economy we NEVER had a crisis to the degree we are seeing today.



    And why do think it got the way it is now? Because it was so artificially inflated it eventually popped. We're just setting ourselves up for another depression down the road.

    If we let the free market run it's course we have booms and recessions every 10 years. The way we are now, we have a major depression every 50.
    Which is worse?
    I would rather see steady growth of half a percent to one percent per year with no cycles of boom and bust, which are caused by government intervention in the markets.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #88
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,572

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I hear this claim all the time, and it's just so ridiculous that I don't know where to begin. What makes you think that economic numbers hew nicely to the terms of presidents? The economy has WAY too much of a lag for it to be useful at all in measuring something such as the 4 year success of a president's actions.
    Ok, I think you would have a great point if we were just talking about over the last 25 years or so. However, we are talking about nearly the last 80 years, over that large of a time frame, the economy has fairer significantly better under Democratic Administrations than under Republican Administrations. That is quite a long time frame for a solid correlation to develop. One could also point out that during that time frame, when congress and the Whitehouse were under single party control, economic growth was stronger under Democrats than under Republicans. There is a long term correlation here, its a strong one, and it cant easily be dismissed because of that.

    Its not that I think that many Republican ideas about the economy are wrong, its just that for whatever reason, they are much more apt to take them to the extreme and thus cast aside all pragmatism when in power than Democrats seem to. In fact, I think we would be worse off economically over the long term if people like Kucinich on the extreme left got there way in terms of economic policy than guys like Kudlow on the far right. However, guys like Kucinich never get their way in terms of economic policy when Democrats are in power, while guys like Kudlow almost always get their way more or less when Republicans are in power. Its that lack of pragmatism on the right more than anything else that leads to poor economic performance over the long term.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #89
    Tavern Bartender
    Fly Eagles Fly
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,588
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    e: America is No. 1 in Broadband
    By Saul Hansell

    There is a constant refrain that the United States is falling behind in broadband, as if the speed of Internet service in Seoul represents a new Sputnik that is a challenge to national security.

    It’s certainly true that in some countries, like South Korea, far more homes have broadband connections than in the United States. And the speeds in some countries are far higher than is typical here.

    But there are many ways to measure the bandwidth wealth of nations. At the Columbia/Georgetown seminar on the broadband stimulus yesterday, I heard Leonard Waverman, the dean of the Haskayne School of Business at the University of Calgary, describe a measure he developed called the “Connectivity Scorecard.” It’s meant to compare countries on the extent that consumers, businesses and government put communication technology to economically productive use.

    Even after deducting the untold unproductive hours spent on Facebook and YouTube, the United States comes out on top in Mr. Waverman’s ranking of 25 developed countries. The biggest reason is that business in the United States has made extensive use of computers and the Internet and it has a technically skilled work force.

    “Korea has great broadband to the house, but businesses in Korea don’t use the best networks and don’t have the skills and computing assets they need to take advantage of them,” Mr. Waverman said.

    Also, as dusty as your local motor vehicle office may seem, government use of communications technology is as good in the United States as anywhere in the world, according to Mr. Waverman’s rankings.

    After the United States, the ranking found that Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Norway rounded out the five most productive users of connectivity. Japan ranked 10, and Korea, 18.

    And while wired and wireless broadband networks used by consumers lagged other countries, the United States ranked No. 1 in the world for technology use and skills by consumers. (This was measured by comparing countries on five measures: The penetration of Internet use, penetration of Internet banking, wired and wireless voice minutes per capita, SMS messages per capita, and consumer software spending.)
    What you quoted, Right, has little to do with speed and sound infrastructure.

    As much as I dislike agreeing with MZ, most of Europe and some Asian countries--particularly Japan--are wired much better when it comes to the Internet. We here in NA rely mainly on archaic copper lines that have not been updated in a long time. Many parts of Europe and Japan mainly use fiber optics. Companies, such as Cisco, have developed products that speed up service on our outdated mainframe, but that can only take us so far. As usage increases each and every year, service declines.

    Of course, the Japanese and Euros have the luxury of not having such a vast geography, but despite NA service providers receiving government subsidies and tax cuts throughout the years, they have done very little to change anything.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  10. #90
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-26-09 @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9

    Re: Obama vows to cut huge deficit in half

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I would rather see steady growth of half a percent to one percent per year with no cycles of boom and bust, which are caused by government intervention in the markets.
    We have never seen that, and never will... without an economic collapse.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •