Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Link
    Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder - Times Online
    Although in this instance this case is in the UK, very similar cases have been found within the USA.
    For the reason that an innocent person HAS in both countries been put to death by each State, I am 100% against the death sentence.
    It is far to late to tell a person's family,'So sorry, we made a mistake, your relative was innocent' after they have been executed.

  2. #2
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder - Times Online
    Although in this instance this case is in the UK, very similar cases have been found within the USA.
    For the reason that an innocent person HAS in both countries been put to death by each State, I am 100% against the death sentence.
    It is far to late to tell a person's family,'So sorry, we made a mistake, your relative was innocent' after they have been executed.
    If your opposition to the DP is based on the possibility of error, what do you think about only using it in cases where there are confessions/no real possibility of error?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 02-20-09 at 07:03 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    There have been instances in both the UK and the US where a person confesses to a murder, but that person is proven to have been innocent.
    However if a confession can be proven to be accurate then yes, if the State has the DP as a punishment, I would be in favor of the full extent of punishment for that individual.
    So I guess you have proven that I am NOT 100% against the Death Penalty by the State.

  4. #4
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    There have been instances in both the UK and the US where a person confesses to a murder, but that person is proven to have been innocent.
    I know, but in those cases the confession is generally taken back later and alleged to have been coerced. I'm mainly referring to cases where it's not in dispute, such as manson, etc.


    However if a confession can be proven to be accurate then yes, if the State has the DP as a punishment, I would be in favor of the full extent of punishment for that individual.
    So I guess you have proven that I am NOT 100% against the Death Penalty by the State.
    Okay, cool. I was just curious.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder - Times Online
    Although in this instance this case is in the UK, very similar cases have been found within the USA.
    For the reason that an innocent person HAS in both countries been put to death by each State, I am 100% against the death sentence.
    It is far to late to tell a person's family,'So sorry, we made a mistake, your relative was innocent' after they have been executed.
    Its time for the police that bungled this case to lose their badges and spend some time in jail.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    I'm sorry, but your against the DP because innocent people might be put to death... that also means an innocent person might rot in jail for years... are you also against Jail?

  7. #7
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I'm sorry, but your against the DP because innocent people might be put to death.
    Correction. Innocent people have been executed.

    that also means an innocent person might rot in jail for years... are you also against Jail?
    You can release someone from jail. We've done in many times. You can't release someone after we've executed them. That said, a significant percentage of people are likely in jail for crimes they did not commit. Our non-capital punishment system is clearly flawed. What makes you think our capital would be any better?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Correction. Innocent people have been executed.



    You can release someone from jail. We've done in many times. You can't release someone after we've executed them. That said, a significant percentage of people are likely in jail for crimes they did not commit. Our non-capital punishment system is clearly flawed. What makes you think our capital would be any better?
    You cannot give them back those years. That's IMHO in some ways worse. Imagine being 18 and getting tossed in prison till you were 60 then freed...

    Seriously if you are against the DP because of the possibility of an innocent person being put to death, you should be against all forms of punishment, because we might be wrong.

    Otherwise, you're just a ****ing hypocrite. You justify accepting the loss of years from a persons life, but you cannot tolerate someone dying.

  9. #9
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You cannot give them back those years. That's IMHO in some ways worse. Imagine being 18 and getting tossed in prison till you were 60 then freed.
    Perhaps, but at least you're still alive. That's more then what we can say with the death penalty.

    Seriously if you are against the DP because of the possibility of an innocent person being put to death, you should be against all forms of punishment, because we might be wrong.
    How many other forms of punishment result in an innocent being completely unable of being resituted for damages in some way?

    Otherwise, you're just a ****ing hypocrite. You justify accepting the loss of years from a persons life, but you cannot tolerate someone dying.
    Not necessarily. Someone who was released from prison still has years to live as a free person. Someone who was executed and later found to be innocent (and there are many) cannot be resituted. True, we cannot give them back the lost years of their lives, but we can allow them to live out their life as a productive citizen, free and with their families. And some states I think give the exonerated sums of money for wrongful imprisonment. How do you resitute a dead man?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #10
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Uncovered: police notes cast doubt over Eddie Gilfoyle murder

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Perhaps, but at least you're still alive. That's more then what we can say with the death penalty.



    How many other forms of punishment result in an innocent being completely unable of being resituted for damages in some way?



    Not necessarily. Someone who was released from prison still has years to live as a free person. Someone who was executed and later found to be innocent (and there are many) cannot be resituted. True, we cannot give them back the lost years of their lives, but we can allow them to live out their life as a productive citizen, free and with their families. And some states I think give the exonerated sums of money for wrongful imprisonment. How do you resitute a dead man?

    I don't think anyone who was imprisoned for a significant portion of their life will ever really recover from that.

    You say alive as if it's ALWAYS a good thing. For instance, in the case of an 18 year old going to prison untill they're a middle aged man/woman... what do you think they've got to look forward when they get out? They WILL have been deeply mentally (and possibly physically) scarred, they will have no job experience that isnt frowned upon, and regardless of the new life they will be given they will more than likely wind up in a criminal situation. If not because of their unfortunate inability to get steady employment (from no work experience and being HOW old) then possibly out of spite for our system.

    Just sayin' as I have before, that I would rather be dead than falsely imprisoned for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •