Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 191

Thread: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Your Utopianism withers in the face of the realities of history. War is hell, no doubt. But you abandon reason for your impractical ideals.
    No. KC thinks the US was wrong for starting the war with Japan, is all.

  2. #152
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No. KC thinks the US was wrong for starting the war with Japan, is all.
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    I love how these Truman apologists believe the rejection of unconditional surrender (with obvious possibilities for terms to surrender available) is a legitimate reason to end a few hundred thousand innocent lives.

    Was Japan forced unconditional surrender after the dropping of the atomic bombs? No. In fact, General MacArthur himself urged Hirohito to retain the position of Emperor.

    Amazon.com: Off the Record: Robert H. Ferrell: Books
    From Truman's diary, dated July 25, 1945:
    "We have discovered the most terrible bomb in the history of the world.... This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital or the new. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one."
    So much for not targetting women and children.

  4. #154
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    I love how these Truman apologists believe the rejection of unconditional surrender (with obvious possibilities for terms to surrender available) is a legitimate reason to end a few hundred thousand innocent lives.
    In total war where your enemy refuses to surrender then a scorched earth policy is a legitimate and acceptable strategy.

    The result was far better than the worst case and anticipated scenario.

    Was Japan forced unconditional surrender after the dropping of the atomic bombs? No. In fact, General MacArthur himself urged Hirohito to retain the position of Emperor.
    source?

    Amazon.com: Off the Record: Robert H. Ferrell: Books
    From Truman's diary, dated July 25, 1945:


    So much for not targetting women and children.
    Nagasaki and Hiroshima were both military targets of great value despite their populations.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion?
    He thinks we were wrong to win it.

    He thinks the United States is always wrong.

    He must think we were wrong for starting it.

  6. #156
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    He thinks we were wrong to win it.

    He thinks the United States is always wrong.

    He must think we were wrong for starting it.
    You can disagree with others without stooping to strawman arguments.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    I love how these Truman apologists believe the rejection of unconditional surrender (with obvious possibilities for terms to surrender available) is a legitimate reason to end a few hundred thousand innocent lives.
    The legitimate reason is that the bombs saved at least one American life.

    Anything more is the powdered sugar on the cherries on the icing on the cake.

    It wasn't Truman's job to save Japanese lives. His duty was to the mothers and fathers of the servicemen, and to those servicemen himself, to bring as many of those men home alive and uninjurred as possible.

    He did his job correctly.

    He did the right thing.

    He saved at least one AMERICAN mother the grief of burying her son who died in an unnecessary invasion of Japan.

    One American.

    That's all that mattered.

    That unnamed man was worth the lives of all the Japanese in Japan.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    You can disagree with others without stooping to strawman arguments.
    You don't like it when I imitate Democrats and other socialists?

    You don't like it when I mimic the presentations of the people who protest the responsible use of nuclear weapons?

    Then take it up with them for masquerading such muddled constructs as their arguments.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    An atomic weapon had never before been used.
    The first test at the Trinity site occurred on July 16, 1945. The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki happened on August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively. These results were given to Truman prior to the Potsdam Conference.

    Trinity explosion:



    You can't seriously sit there and tell me that they didn't know what happened if they did this to a city. There is no way of twisting the fact that hundreds of thousands were guaranteed to die, no matter how you spin it.

    He thinks we were wrong to win it.

    He thinks the United States is always wrong.

    He must think we were wrong for starting it.
    More generalizations and bigotry.

  10. #160
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Iran passes redline, has enough U235 for Bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You don't like it when I imitate Democrats and other socialists?

    You don't like it when I mimic the presentations of the people who protest the responsible use of nuclear weapons?

    Then take it up with them for masquerading such muddled constructs as their arguments.
    Ad-homs are a poor strategy in debate. They almost always do nothing to combat the veracity of others claims. They usually do nothing but derail the discussion no matter if anothers claims are right or wrong.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •